Diglot
Netherlands
Joined 5452 days ago

410 posts - 482 votes 
Speaks: English*, DutchC1
Studies: Turkish, French

Message 1 of 151
28 December 2009 at 2:09pm | IP Logged 
It's about time that I made a tac log. I'll update later with more details but here is my general plan:

Dutch
Essential for life in The Netherlands. I come into contact with native materials every day and I live with two Dutch people who speak Dutch to each other. This is really advantageous since I can get a lot of listening practice in just by tuning into their speech. My problem is that I don't dare to speak in Dutch for fear of making mistakes and also because I find it frustrating to speak in Dutch with my boyfriend since he has pretty much native fluency in English.

Goals:
- B2 by April (which means it'll have taken me a nice round year to go from 0 to B2) Edit 7/3/10: Passed NT2 II test which equates to B2 level, therefore I've completed this goal!
- Be able to function at an academic level by the end of the year (ie. participate in discussions, read academic texts, write essays and follow lectures) which equates to C1 level (imo).

How am I going to get there?
- Make use of the Dutch people I have and ask specifically if I can have a conversation with them in Dutch at least 3 times per week (if I ask regularly, it'll become a normal thing)
- Read novels/newspapers in Dutch and look up new vocabulary
- Continue to watch Dutch TV. I'm beginning to actually enjoy it now!
- Continue to write for practice on the internet on here and lang 8.

Portuguese
Edit: Given it up! I'm just not committed to it.

Teammates
Vos
anni_online

Edited by Iolanthe on 03 November 2010 at 9:14pm

1 person has voted this message useful

elvisrules
Tetraglot
BelgiumRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5280 days ago

286 posts - 390 votes 
Speaks: French, English*, Dutch, Flemish
Studies: Lowland Scots, Japanese, German

Message 2 of 151
28 December 2009 at 5:36pm | IP Logged 
I very much had that feeling when I was learning Dutch, but don't worry, it should disappear once you make the jump from an intermediate (I assume that's where you are?) to a proficient speaker.
Just work regularly on all aspects of the language: listening, reading, writing and speaking. If you don't feel up to speaking to your boyfriend, try looking for conversation partners online. A local language course may help you with regularity, but unless they are very intensive (i.e. at least 10h class a week) I would say you can probably learn much better and quicker on your own.

Edited by elvisrules on 28 December 2009 at 5:36pm

4 persons have voted this message useful

Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
learnlangs.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6281 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Esperanto, Greek, Mandarin, Latin, Dutch, Italian
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swahili, Indonesian, Japanese, Modern Hebrew, Portuguese

Message 3 of 151
14 January 2010 at 9:48pm | IP Logged 
How are you doing, Iolanthe? Have you decided on your other language yet?

Iolanthe
Diglot
Netherlands
Joined 5452 days ago

410 posts - 482 votes 

Message 4 of 151
14 January 2010 at 10:26pm | IP Logged 
Hey Sprachprofi! I took the NT2 Dutch as a second language test today and yesterday so I haven't really done much study-wise other than preparing for the exam, hence why I haven't posted yet. I haven't decided on a language and I don't know whether to start one or not. On the one hand Dutch is the priority to me and it's important that I get to an advanced level as quickly as possible. On the other hand it would be nice to have the variation in studying a language that I get voluntary choice in and is not the result of circumstances, a luxury language. However I'm having trouble deciding between the three (ironically since none of them have particular relevance to my circumstances) and that is delaying me.

I think I'll give myself a Dutch break tomorrow and then start reading Dutch books again. I really want to take my Dutch up a notch in terms of grammatical accuracy and of course I need to start speaking!

Iolanthe
Diglot
Netherlands
Joined 5452 days ago

410 posts - 482 votes 

Message 5 of 151
15 January 2010 at 5:48pm | IP Logged 
Screw the break!

Ik heb een boek in de bibliotheek gevonden dat 'Vlekkeloos Nederlands' heet. Het is een grammatica boek met veel kleine tests tussen de informatie. Ik be niet zo dol op tekstboek-stijl oefeningen dus zal ik eerst de tekst lezen en dan misschien later de oefening doen.

I've found a book in the library called 'Flawless Dutch'. It's a grammar book with lots of little tests between the information. I'm not too crazy about textbook style exercises so I'll read the information first and the maybe later do the exercises.

Over the past few months I've been a victim of wanderlust. If I were to add it up then I think I've spent about this much time on the following languages:

Portuguese: 4 days
French: 3 days
Swedish: 2 days
Esperanto: 5 days
Afrikaans: 5 minutes

Will any of them ever stick? Note how I put a different language first each time. Whichever language is at the top of the list is my current personal favourite. In the first post of this thread it seems that I was most into French, now it's Portuguese. I have different reasons for wanting to study each. For Portuguese it's the culture of Brazil and the sound of the language. French, it's the fact that I want to move to Paris one day and that it's a useful, widely spoken language. Swedish, it's the sound and look of the language and my interest in Germanic languages (having studied German and Dutch but never a Nordic language). However I'm not going to get to Brazil any time soon, a move to France is not set in stone and Swedish is the language I'd probably study at university so I feel like I should save it for then. I just can't commit to any. It's like being in Sex and the City episode but with languages, one night I'm with French and the next I'm with Swedish.

I so need to read the book about scanners!

Iolanthe
Diglot
Netherlands
Joined 5452 days ago

410 posts - 482 votes 

Message 6 of 151
17 January 2010 at 1:39pm | IP Logged 
I've had enough of being monolingual! I'm going hardcore. No English, EVER! (and before you say anything, I mean no spoken English, written is allowed :P). I've slipped back into English a few times (well, a lot actually) but I'm persevering. I'm also trying to write something every day and put it on lang-8.

Ik heb genoeg van eentalig zijn! Ik ga harcore. Geen Engels. Ik heb een paar keer terug naar Engels gegaan (wel, veel keren eigenlijk) maar ik volhard. Ik probeer ook elke dag iets te schrijven en op lang-8 zetten.

Still no decision about which language to study but I'm giving it time.

Nog geen beslissing over welke taal om straks te studeren maar ik geef het tijd.

Edited by Iolanthe on 17 January 2010 at 1:41pm

Vos
Diglot
Australia
Joined 5377 days ago

766 posts - 1020 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Dutch, Polish

Message 7 of 151
18 January 2010 at 2:50am | IP Logged 
Goed zo!! Weg met de rotte Engels!!! Bij de einde van het jaar, zal je (spoken?) Nederlands erg goed zijn!

Je heeft veel talen van te kiezen voor jouwe tweede taal.. Maar als je heeft gezegd, geef het tijd. Het zal je
aankomen.

Heeft een Prettige dag Iolanthe,
Vos

Iolanthe
Diglot
Netherlands
Joined 5452 days ago

410 posts - 482 votes 

Message 8 of 151
19 January 2010 at 1:57pm | IP Logged 
Hey Vos, rotte Engels was te moeilijk om niet te spreken gisteren :/ Het is zo moeilijk om in het Nederlands te blijven praten! (Ik heb om als een kapotte plaat te klinken) Maar ik ga vanaf nu elke dag een pagina tekst voorlezen. Meerdere personen hebben deze oefening voorgesteld. Het is makkelijk om het elke dag te doen, dus een goede oefening. Iets om beter Nederlands te spreken.

Ik zal mezelf laten liefhebberen. Ik heb al een Franse deck in Anki maar ik heb nauwelijks geen woorden onthouden. Frans lijkt me makkelijker om alleen te studeren omdat ik Assimil kan gebruiken en het mijn favoriete taal programma is. Voor Zweeds heb ik 'Teach Yourself Swedish'. Ik vind dat er te veel Engels op de CD is. Ik heb ook Pimsleur maar ik begin om het te haten :D Ik ben zeker dat ik best leren met een mengsel van beide audio en tekst, Pimsleur heeft dat niet.

Mijn luisteren werd zo veel beter tijdens Kerstmis! Tachtig procent van de tijd begrijp ik mensen en ook op tv zolang ze duidelijk spreken. Mijn vriend mompelt en voor kon ik me niet hem verstaan maar nu heb ik minder probleem. De enige probleem is met spreekwoorden en grappen.

Deze maakt me een beetje beschaamd als een persoon op straat iets tegen mij zegt en ik moet meer dan 'ja' of 'nee' zeggen. Ik probeer om spreken te vermijden. Ik wil niet horen hoe slecht ik ben! Ik dacht dat als ik elke dag iets schrijven dan zal ik ook gesproken vlotheid hebben. Grote vergissing! Het gebeurde niet. Nu moet ik hard werken om vlotheid te bereiken en de verlegenheid te overkomen.

English summery (because I'm too lazy to translate the whole thing):

Speaking Dutch is hard to keep up. I'm going to read some test outloud every day to try and improve my fluency. I'm going to dabble in the three languages. I'm using Assimil for French and Teach Yourself Swedish. My listening got a lot better during Christmas. Now I can understand what people are saying 80% of the time. The only problem is with sayings and jokes and if people mumble. However my boyfriend mumbles when he talks Dutch and I've got better at understanding him. This makes me feel a bit ashamed when people talk to me on the street because I know what they're saying but I don't dare speak so I try to avoid saying anything more than 'yes' or 'no'. I thought that by writing everyday my spoken fluency would improve but that didn't happen. So now I have to work hard to gain spoken fluency and get over the embarrasment of speaking.

Edited by Iolanthe on 20 January 2010 at 12:30am

This discussion contains 151 messages over 19 pages: 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version