Diglot
Netherlands
Joined 5452 days ago

410 posts - 482 votes 
Speaks: English*, DutchC1
Studies: Turkish, French

Message 9 of 151
20 January 2010 at 5:01pm | IP Logged 
Ik heb een vernieuwd interest in taal leren :D Ik heb een stukje tekst geschreven en een paar paragrafen van een andere tekst voorgelezen. Dan heb ik de onbekende woorden van de tekst opgezocht en daarna typte ze in Anki. Ik heb ook veel Portugees woorden in Anki getypt. Ik weet niets over Portugees grammatica. Ik hoop dat het niet zo moeilijk is. Portugees heeft op deze site twee 'cactussen' (vermelding moeilijkheid) terwijl Nederlands drie heeft.

I have a renewed interest in language learning :D I've written a piece of text and read a few paragraphs of another text out loud. Then I looked up the unknown words and put them into Anki. I've also put a load of Portuguese words into Anki. I don't know anything about Portuguese grammar. I hope it's not too difficult. Portuguese has two 'cacti' (indicating difficulty) on this site whereas Dutch has three.

I think I'll start with writing some present tense sentences in Portuguese. I've never actually begun learning a language without help from a teacher so I'm not sure how to teach myself the basics.
1 person has voted this message useful

Teango
Triglot
Winner TAC 2010 & 2012
United States
teango.wordpress.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5367 days ago

2210 posts - 3734 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Russian
Studies: Hawaiian, French, Toki Pona

Message 10 of 151
20 January 2010 at 8:37pm | IP Logged 
Quote:
I don't dare to speak in Dutch for fear of making mistakes and also because I find it frustrating to speak in Dutch with my boyfriend since he has pretty much native fluency in English.

You've set yourself some admirable goals this year, and it looks like you're already well on your way to meeting them successfully. Don't lose too much sleep over the "speaking" side of things, with repeated exposure this will come naturally and you're in the perfect place to benefit from this. Trying to force dialogue out early on can often render the experience unpleasantly frustrating and demotivating (it's all Pavlovian I guess), as well as reinforce poor or "un-Dutch-like" English grammar patterns and pronunciation ;) There's no shame in engaging in "cross-talk" initially if you already understand a fair deal, i.e. speaking in English and asking everyone else to reply in Dutch. The fact that your boyfriend and flat mate can understand English fluently already could be a real bonus here, and if you come to an impasse, you can always resort to a colourful game of charades :)

I'm in a similar boat to you I imagine, living in Germany and paddling away in German. Hopefully I'm not too far off the B2 island now and would love to reach my C1 paradise by the end of the year. The way I'm tackling it is to do a lot of listening-reading (LR) first, and really get the sounds and natural flow of the language whizzing and whirling around my head. Then the idea is to follow this with plenty of "shadowing" and "chorusing" with fun LR material I've enjoyed. Nothing particuarly novel here really, but a lot of people report particular success with this approach. This next step I think might be useful given your situation. Think of it as a transition between being able to hear things clearly in your "mind's ear" to blurting it out creatively in real-life dialogue.

Another cool idea to break in your speaking skills is to use a more controlled environment and familiar context for tapping into and activating your passive knowledge of Dutch. This can be accomplished more comfortably by having the goal of writing an essay/article or two on some interesting topic, play or short story (i.e. it's concrete and you can stick it proudly on your wall if you like), and initially discussing the theme in detail with a sympathetic native speaker (this is the most important part). This gives you the opportunity to fine tune those speaking skills and hone your ability to offer opinions and back them up painlessly on the spot. Think of it as a kind of dress rehearsal for real future discussions.

The rest I guess just takes time...and like driving really, a matter of knowing the local roads and building up confidence.

Good luck with your plans for getting into uni there and achieving your TAC goals this year!

Teango
2 persons have voted this message useful

Iolanthe
Diglot
Netherlands
Joined 5452 days ago

410 posts - 482 votes 

Message 11 of 151
23 January 2010 at 3:34pm | IP Logged 
Thanks for the encouraging post Teango :) I've been doing a lot of "cross-talk" lately. Sometimes I don't even realise that the other person is speaking Dutch until I think about it afterwards, I'm just responding to questions and comments.

I've just been reviewing words in Anki every day and I'm still writing something in Dutch every day too. I've gotta remember to read some text out loud today because I forgot the past two days.

Dus, zal ik mijn dagelijkse schrijven oefening hier doen. Ik heb veel Braziliaanse muzikanten die ik leuk vind gevonden. Ik was eerst alleen een fan van Seu Jorge maar ik vond een youtube video van hem en Ana Carolina aan het zingen en nu vind ik haar ook heel leuk. Het lied was Chatterton dat oorspronkelijk een Frans leid geschreven door Serge Gainsbourg is. Ze hebben het naar Portugees vertaald. Soms probeer ik om lieden te vertalen maar het is heel moeilijk als je hem eigenlijk wil zingen. Je moet zo veel van de tekst veranderen om het naturel te maken klinken. Als ik Engelse lieden letterlijk naar Nederlands probeer te vertalen vind ik dat er veel meer lettergrepen zijn. Dus kan ik het niet zingen zonder dat het raar klinkt. Misschien zal ik later een vertaling van een gedicht maken.

Well that's my writing done for today.

Rough translation:

So, I'll do my daily writing practice here. I've found lots of Brazilian musicians that I like. At first I was only a fan of Seu Jorge but I saw a video of him and Ana Carolina singing and now I like her too. The song was Chatterton which is originally a French song written by Serge Gainsbourg. They translated it into Portuguese. Sometimes I try to translate songs but it is very difficult if you actually want to sing the songs. You have to change so many lyrics to make it sound natural. If I try and translate a song from English to Dutch I find that there's way more syllables. So then I can't sing it without it sounding weird. Maybe I'll try and translate a poem later.

Iolanthe
Diglot
Netherlands
Joined 5452 days ago

410 posts - 482 votes 

Message 12 of 151
26 January 2010 at 12:23am | IP Logged 
Eu me chamo Rachael e tenho 19 (dezenove) anos. Eu sou Inglês mas eu moro em Países Baixos. Eu falo Inglês e um pouca de Holandês. Eu não falo Português mas eu acabara.

Sorry if I slaughtered the Portuguese language!

Het is raar om een nieuwe taal te beginnen want ik was met lessen het Nederlands (en ook het Duits op school) begonnen. Het is heel anders als je niemand hebt om te vragen en het is niet intensief, zeg maar. Vandaag en gisteren lag de moeder van mijn vriend in het ziekenhuis dus hebben wij haar bezoeken. Het was de eerste keer waar ik als een Nederlander heb gevoelt. Maar niet omdat ik heel fijn Nederlands vaardigheden heb, nee alleen want de verpleegsters veronderstelden dat ik haar dochter was en dus ook Nederlands. Nederlanders houden zich anders als ze weten dat ik Engels ben. Ze moeten snel hun Engels-hoed aandoen.

That's enough for tonight, welterusten! (of goeie morgen depending on where you are in the world)

Edited by Iolanthe on 26 January 2010 at 12:24am

elvisrules
Tetraglot
BelgiumRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5280 days ago

286 posts - 390 votes 
Speaks: French, English*, Dutch, Flemish
Studies: Lowland Scots, Japanese, German

Message 13 of 151
26 January 2010 at 3:31am | IP Logged 
Goed werk Iolanthe!

Hier zijn sommige correcties:
-interest -> interesse
-taal leren -> hier is 'leren' een zelfstandig naamwoord, dus -> taalleren
en daarna typte ze in Anki -> en daarna getypt in Anki/en daarna in Anki -getypt ('tikken' a synonym for 'typen' might be more common in certain regions)
-Ik weet niets over Portugees grammatica. Ik hoop dat het niet zo moeilijk is. -> -Ik hoop dat hij/die niet zo moeilijk is. ('grammatica' and '-ica' words are actually feminine, but you don't need to know this and can just use it masculinely)
-schrijven oefening -> schrijfoefening
-Ik heb veel Braziliaanse muzikanten die ik leuk vind gevonden -> Ik heb veel Braziliaanse muzikanten gevonden die ik leuk vind (sounds more natural)
-Het lied was Chatterton dat oorspronkelijk een Frans leid geschreven door Serge Gainsbourg is. -> Het lied was Chatterton welke oorspronkelijk een Frans lied was dat door Serge Gainsbourg geschreven werd. ('welke' here means 'which') -> Het lied heet Chatterton. De oorspronkelijke versie door Serge Gainsbourg was in het Frans. (more natural sentense)
-lieden -> liederen (irregular plural)
-Soms probeer ik om liederen te vertalen maar het is heel moeilijk als je hem eigenlijk wil zingen -> Soms probeer ik om liederen te vertalen maar het is heel moeilijk als je ze eigenlijk wil zingen ('ze' because it's plural)
-Je moet zo veel van de tekst veranderen om het naturel te maken klinken. -> hem (tekst is a 'de' word, male)
-Het is raar om een nieuwe taal te beginnen want ik was met lessen het Nederland (en ook het Duits op school) begonnen. -> Het is raar om aan een nieuwe taal zomaar te beginnen, zonder lessen, want voor het Nederlands (en ook het Duits op school) kreeg ik altijd privélessen.
-bezoeken -> bezocht

Hobbema
United States
Joined 5552 days ago

541 posts - 575 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Portuguese, French, Dutch

Message 14 of 151
26 January 2010 at 4:16am | IP Logged 
Iolanthe wrote:
Eu me chamo Rachael e tenho 19 (dezenove) anos. Eu sou Inglês mas eu moro em Países Baixos. Eu falo Inglês e um pouco de Holandês. Eu não falo Português mas eu acabara.

Muito bom! Voce fala e escreve Portugues! Mas eu nao entendo o que quer dizer "eu acabara".

Not only that, I can't figure out how to make diacritical marks on this computer. Nice job! You are much farther than you were a couple months ago.

Iolanthe
Diglot
Netherlands
Joined 5452 days ago

410 posts - 482 votes 

Message 15 of 151
26 January 2010 at 1:14pm | IP Logged 
Hobbema wrote:
Iolanthe wrote:
Eu me chamo Rachael e tenho 19 (dezenove) anos. Eu sou Inglês mas eu moro em Países Baixos. Eu falo Inglês e um pouco de Holandês. Eu não falo Português mas eu acabara.

Muito bom! Voce fala e escreve Portugues! Mas eu nao entendo o que quer dizer "eu acabara".

Not only that, I can't figure out how to make diacritical marks on this computer. Nice job! You are much farther than you were a couple months ago.

I was trying to say 'I will eventually'. Google translate fail >_>

I've installed the Firefox Brazilian Portuguese dictionary so if I write something without an accent it corrects it for me.

Iolanthe
Diglot
Netherlands
Joined 5452 days ago

410 posts - 482 votes 

Message 16 of 151
26 January 2010 at 11:47pm | IP Logged 
I've discovered (or rather re-discovered) that an internet friend of mine speaks Portuguese. To what extent I'm not sure but since she's a passionate linguist and grammarpuss I would think she's pretty good at Portuguese. I'm thinking of all the humourous things I can attempt to write to her in Portuguese like 'I farted in your spaghetti, excuse me'

Ik heb wind in jou spaghetti gelaten, neem me niet kwalijk!

Soms mis ik Engeland...of Noord Engeland. Ik realiseerde nooit hoe Engels en Yorkshire ik ben tot ik hier heb gekomen. Nederlandse mensen heb meestal van Leeds (mijn geboorteplaats) gehoord maar ze weten niets over het. Soms hebben ze in Londen gewoond of ten minstens het bezocht. Zelf ben ik alleen drie keer naar Londen geweest, dus kennen sommige Nederlanders Londen veel beter dan mij. Ik denk dat het normaal is als je een expat bent om naar je eigen land te smachten. Ik vond het echt niet leuk om thuis te leven maar ik mis de kleine dingen zoals de thee, het eten, de Yorkshire accenten, de winkels, de sfeer, de humor en de gemakkelijkheid voor mij als een Engels spreker. Ik denk dat ik thuis wil bezoeken. Ik ben over bijna een jaar niet thuis geweest en ik wil dat mijn vriend mijn oude leven kunt zien. Ik kijk nu naar Newsnight. Het is behoorlijk saai maar het is Engels!

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 151 messages over 19 pages: << Prev 13 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version