Japan
Joined 5258 days ago

772 posts - 1474 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese, German, Russian
Studies: Georgian

Message 297 of 431
20 January 2012 at 11:56pm | IP Logged 
Hi Hendrik.
Thanks for the message. The textbook from Tbilisi University is called თავთავი, and
it's published by საქართველოს განათლებისა და მეცბიერების სამინისტრო, which I guess
is the Georgian Ministry of Education and Science. There are books 1 and 2, and
workbooks for each.

I would say they are no better or worse than ბილიკი, maybe a few less typing errors!

For sure I would like nothing better than to just take myself off to Georgia for 6
months and study at one of the language schools or Tbilisi University, and if it were
only a question of money, I could just about manage it, but of course I also have work,
and a relationship, and all those normal, boring "life" things that tie me down here to
Tokyo.

The thing about the Asahi textbook is that all the grammar is explained in Japanese,
with back-reference to Japanese grammar, so I think a translation would be seriously
confusing! The few Japanese people who are interested in Georgian (and there is a few,
although I've probably met most of them by now) are very lucky to be able to use it.

How far on are you with your Georgian? What do you use to study?
1 person has voted this message useful

Hendriklohuis
Diglot
NetherlandsRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5974 days ago

4 posts - 4 votes
Speaks: Dutch*, Russian
Studies: Georgian, Pashto

Message 298 of 431
21 January 2012 at 1:26pm | IP Logged 
Hmm I'm not too far as I have been - and continue to be - distracted by a lot of other work. I mainly use the "Lehrbuch der Georgischen Sprache" from Abuladze and Ludden published by Buske verlag (see: details on the bookand an excerpt. Apart from that I use Aronson, Kiziria's book, the Biliki textbooks and Hewitt's book. And there is of course the course material Caucasus Studies at Malmo University, which is all taught by distance learning. They offer the courses Georgian I and II by distance learning but unfortunately Sweden introduced tuition fees for non-EU residents recently.

I believe all the material to be quite good but I still am in doubt what to make of Mr. Hewitt's grammar. While the first edition of his learner's grammar may have contained a couple of words and dialogues that were ill-fit for the average language learner I think the second edition has improved this. Moreover, Mr. Hewitt's book is intended more to get to grips with the notoriously difficult grammar and to acquire reading proficiency and to be able to read Georgian sources for political and/or linguistic research. But still I have not been able to have a native speaker to check the whole book for accuracy so I cannot know for sure whether the accusations leveled by Kiziria hold true for the second edition as well. Whether we agree with one side or another, it is a fact that nationalistic Georgians hold an grudge against Mr. Hewitt for his stance regarding Georgian-Abkhaz war, so those who are familiar with Mr. Hewitt and his work will often denounce it regardless of the quality.    

TixhiiDon
Tetraglot
Japan
Joined 5258 days ago

772 posts - 1474 votes 

Message 299 of 431
30 January 2012 at 12:03am | IP Logged 
Hendrik, in your last message but one you mentioned Teach and
Learn With Georgia
. I must admit I skimmed over it on first reading, but having
gone back and looked at your post again, I noticed it and put it into Google. It looks
like an amazing programme, which I had never heard of before, and I think it needs some
more publicity, even if only to the readers of this log.

So, anyone fancy six or so months in Georgia, teaching cute little Georgian kids English
and living with a Georgian family while earning just about enough money to live on?
Sadly the opportunity has come a little late for me - I have too many responsibilities
here in Tokyo, and I am much too old and set in my ways to live with a host family. But
it really looks fantastic. Anyone? Zecchino1991?

zecchino1991
United States
facebook.com/amyybur
Joined 5052 days ago

778 posts - 885 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Italian, Modern Hebrew, Russian, Arabic (Written), Romanian, Icelandic, Georgian

Message 300 of 431
30 January 2012 at 12:26am | IP Logged 
Wow! That sounds like an excellent opportunity! Especially considering that's pretty much what I want to do
for a living. It says you need a post-secondary degree, so I'll have to wait a year or two. But that's ok, since it
gives me time to go visit Georgia first! :)

hrhenry
Octoglot
United States
languagehopper.blogs
Joined 4924 days ago

1871 posts - 3642 votes 
Speaks: English*, SpanishC2, ItalianC2, Norwegian, Catalan, Galician, Turkish, Portuguese
Studies: Polish, Indonesian, Ojibwe

Message 301 of 431
30 January 2012 at 12:37am | IP Logged 
TixhiiDon wrote:
... It looks like an amazing programme, which I had never heard of before, and I think it needs some more publicity, even if only to the readers of this log.

So, anyone fancy six or so months in Georgia, teaching cute little Georgian kids English and living with a Georgian family while earning just about enough money to live on?

Actually, if you take a look at any of the bigger ESL job posting boards, they're quite visible. They advertise a lot on those boards. And there's more than one company doing the same program too. I know a couple people that have gone through the program and had nothing but great things to say about it.

R.
==

Edited by hrhenry on 30 January 2012 at 12:38am

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4960 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Norwegian, French, English, Italian, Papiamento
Studies: Mandarin, Georgian, Russian

Message 302 of 431
30 January 2012 at 1:11am | IP Logged 
Fascinating! English is not my native language, though. I'd like to visit Georgia anyway, maybe in one year or two.

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4960 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Norwegian, French, English, Italian, Papiamento
Studies: Mandarin, Georgian, Russian

Message 303 of 431
08 February 2012 at 1:55am | IP Logged 
Tixhiidon, I was browsing through old threads and I read that it was zhiguli who told you about the Georgian classes in Tokio. I shouldn't be, but, still, I am impressed!

TixhiiDon
Tetraglot
Japan
Joined 5258 days ago

772 posts - 1474 votes 

Message 304 of 431
08 February 2012 at 8:35am | IP Logged 
Expugnator wrote:
Tixhiidon, I was browsing through old threads and I read that it was zhiguli who told you about the Georgian classes in Tokio. I shouldn't be, but, still, I am impressed!

Zhiguli was a great help to me when I first joined this forum and started studying Georgian. It's a pity he doesn't visit anymore. I was also pretty amazed to hear about the Georgian class in Tokyo! This site is a goldmine of information. By the way, I still study with the same teacher (although in a different class) two and a bit years later, so it was invaluable information for me.

This discussion contains 431 messages over 54 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version