Switzerland
Joined 6233 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto, German, Italian
Studies: French, Finnish, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 73 of 103
08 June 2010 at 8:56pm | IP Logged 
Doitsujin wrote:

If it has an .rtf extension simply double-click it to open it in TextEdit or open it manually with MS Word or Pages.

S/he'll probably want to use MS Word or neo office; last I checked, TextEdit did not handle parallel texts well.

1 person has voted this message useful

Doitsujin
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5114 days ago

1256 posts - 2363 votes 
Speaks: German*, English

Message 74 of 103
08 June 2010 at 10:27pm | IP Logged 
Volte wrote:

S/he'll probably want to use MS Word or neo office; last I checked, TextEdit did not handle parallel texts well.

I tested the TextEdit version that comes with Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) with a big bilingual .rtf file and didn't have any problems. Of course, MS Word, NeoOffice etc. would be better.

Vos
Diglot
Australia
Joined 5360 days ago

766 posts - 1020 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Dutch, Polish

Message 75 of 103
09 June 2010 at 12:36am | IP Logged 
Doitsujin wrote:

Most likely you clicked on a compressed .rar file. What you need to do is: right-click the link (or press Ctrl and
click it), then select Download Linked File As... from the menu and save the file on the desktop.
If it has an .rtf extension simply double-click it to open it in TextEdit or open it manually with MS Word or Pages.
If it's a .rar file you'll need to download a free archiver such as Keka to unpack it. Keka can be downloaded here:
http://www.kekaosx.com/en/

Thank you everyone for your help and suggestions, finally have it all working now. Doitsujin, that is exactly what I
did, but just downloaded a rar archiver and have all the readble files now. Much thanks for your help.

Volte
Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6233 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto, German, Italian
Studies: French, Finnish, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 76 of 103
09 June 2010 at 2:24pm | IP Logged 
Doitsujin wrote:
Volte wrote:

I tested the TextEdit version that comes with Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) with a big bilingual .rtf file and didn't have any problems. Of course, MS Word, NeoOffice etc. would be better.

I'm glad to hear that. I guess it works for some, but not others (like a few other RTF readers I tried), as I used OS X 10.5 as well when I tried it.

Journeyer
Triglot
United States
tristan85.blogspot.c
Joined 6662 days ago

946 posts - 1110 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, German
Studies: Sign Language

Message 77 of 103
17 June 2010 at 3:39am | IP Logged 
Is there a way to download the Russian audio for "Master and Margarita" to the computer or can it only be played off the website? I don't have PRO whatever (I right-clicked on the mp3 player and it said PRO: Download Source).

It might explain how to do so so on the page, but I don't speak Russian. I tried clicking a lot of links but no success.

onebir
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 6957 days ago

484 posts - 502 votes 
Speaks: English*, Mandarin

Message 78 of 103
17 June 2010 at 4:30am | IP Logged 
"Is there a way to download the Russian audio for "Master and Margarita" to the computer or can it only be played off the website?"

If you can play something on your computer, you can* record it. In Audacity there's a box for choosing the type of input you want to record (top right in the toolbar. Select "Stereo mix", start playing whatever and hit record. You should see a (non-flat) waveform getting recorded.

Be aware that Audacity will create huge temporary .wav files. So if you want to record long continuous selections it's worth getting something that can record MP3 natively. (eg MP3directcut)

*Usually without much fuss. But I had to update my soundcard driver to be able to do this - the relevant option simply didn't appear. But I think I was just unlucky.

parasitius
Diglot
United States
Joined 5792 days ago

220 posts - 323 votes 
Speaks: English*, Mandarin
Studies: Cantonese, Polish, Spanish, French

Message 79 of 103
17 June 2010 at 5:09am | IP Logged 
Journeyer wrote:
Is there a way to download the Russian audio for "Master and Margarita" to the computer or can it only be played off the website? I don't have PRO whatever (I right-clicked on the mp3 player and it said PRO: Download Source).

It might explain how to do so so on the page, but I don't speak Russian. I tried clicking a lot of links but no success.

He doesn't need to do anything so complicated. He just needs to delete the file association his browser has for mp3s because it is calling a third party application to play it instead of prompting him to download it like he should. I guess it is quicktime, but I don't know your system details (browser, etc.) so I can't give you instructions. Google according to your webbrowser and the software that is offending you, example "remove quicktime mp3 association in firefox".

Journeyer
Triglot
United States
tristan85.blogspot.c
Joined 6662 days ago

946 posts - 1110 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, German
Studies: Sign Language

Message 80 of 103
17 June 2010 at 5:57am | IP Logged 
I use Firefox but also have Google Chrome if I need it.

I haven't found where I can delete the file association. And yes, I think for Firefox, the browser uses Quicktime to play the files, specifically Quicktime Plug-In 7.6.6. apparently.

I'm fiddling with stuff and Googled what you suggested, parasitius, which is an interesting name, but so far no dice. I'll keep working on it, but given the info here, how would I go about dismantling this so I can download the files?

Thanks.

This discussion contains 103 messages over 13 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version