Germany
Joined 5230 days ago

261 posts - 667 votes 
Speaks: German*, French, English

Message 9 of 103
27 March 2010 at 2:34pm | IP Logged 
MarcoDiAngelo wrote:
How about pdf? Will it be better?

PDFs are ideal for printing, but not so good for reading them on a computer screen or ebook, because the length of the lines is fixed. With good HTML the line length changes when you resize the browser window, so you can adjust it to what is best for you with respect to your reading rate and font size. There might be no easy way to prevent awkward page breaks when printing HTML. I'll have to test this. Creating PDF with LaTeX will definitely allow for automatically pushing sentences to a new page if they don't fit on the current one. I have no ebook (yet), so I don't know whether HTML causes problems there. The combination of HTML, PDF, and epub output should offer the best solution for all circumstances. There won't be any additional work for me with different file formats, because the script will do it all. My guide is the file formats offered on gutenberg.org.
2 persons have voted this message useful

cordelia0507
United Kingdom
Joined 5633 days ago

1473 posts - 2176 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*
Studies: German, Russian

Message 10 of 103
27 March 2010 at 2:51pm | IP Logged 
I am getting the latest Irex reader DS800 and I want something that will look good on that.

1 person has voted this message useful

Teango
Triglot
Winner TAC 2010 & 2012
United States
teango.wordpress.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5351 days ago

2210 posts - 3734 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Russian
Studies: Hawaiian, French, Toki Pona

Message 11 of 103
27 March 2010 at 3:11pm | IP Logged 
Fantastic idea, great little website! Many thanks to you, Siomotteikiru and any other future contributors :)

MarcoDiAngelo
Tetraglot
Yugoslavia
Joined 6242 days ago

208 posts - 345 votes 
Speaks: Serbian*, English, Spanish, Russian
Studies: Thai, Polish

Message 12 of 103
27 March 2010 at 3:14pm | IP Logged 
OlafP wrote:
MarcoDiAngelo wrote:
How about pdf? Will it be better?

PDFs are ideal for printing, but not so good for reading them on a computer screen or ebook, because the length of the lines is fixed. With good HTML the line length changes when you resize the browser window, so you can adjust it to what is best for you with respect to your reading rate and font size. There might be no easy way to prevent awkward page breaks when printing HTML. I'll have to test this. Creating PDF with LaTeX will definitely allow for automatically pushing sentences to a new page if they don't fit on the current one. I have no ebook (yet), so I don't know whether HTML causes problems there. The combination of HTML, PDF, and epub output should offer the best solution for all circumstances. There won't be any additional work for me with different file formats, because the script will do it all. My guide is the file formats offered on gutenberg.org.

So, we'll have PDF for printing and html for reading on the computer? Sounds good, but it may be too difficult for people to create the texts that way. I, for example, have never made any parallel texts in html, and I'm not sure how that is done. I never heard of Latex and epub, either.

Woodpecker
Triglot
United States
Joined 5606 days ago

351 posts - 590 votes 
Speaks: English*, Arabic (Written), Arabic (Egyptian)
Studies: Arabic (classical)

Message 13 of 103
27 March 2010 at 3:26pm | IP Logged 
I think it's worth noting that OpenOffice can open just about anything, and certainly
everything on that site, with no apparent formating or other difficulties. If it's really
a big deal, .rtf could be used, but honestly there aren't many word processors left in
the world that can't handle .doc, are there?

dolly
United States
Joined 5585 days ago

191 posts - 376 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Latin

Message 14 of 103
27 March 2010 at 3:28pm | IP Logged 
cordelia0507 wrote:
I am getting the latest Irex reader DS800 and I want something that will look good on that.

Unfortunately, parallel texts don't work on my kindle. With converted html files the columns get jammed together and with PDFs you get alternating pages, one language then the other. (But parallel texts might work on the kindle DX, which has a bigger screen).

I might be tempted to switch to the Irex Reader if it has the dictionary function.

Edited by dolly on 27 March 2010 at 3:31pm

MarcoDiAngelo
Tetraglot
Yugoslavia
Joined 6242 days ago

208 posts - 345 votes 
Speaks: Serbian*, English, Spanish, Russian
Studies: Thai, Polish

Message 15 of 103
27 March 2010 at 3:38pm | IP Logged 
Woodpecker wrote:
I think it's worth noting that OpenOffice can open just about anything, and certainly
everything on that site, with no apparent formating or other difficulties. If it's really
a big deal, .rtf could be used, but honestly there aren't many word processors left in
the world that can't handle .doc, are there?

This is right, Open Office can open the .doc files!

This is what siomotteikiru said about using Word:

Pdf format is the worst file for the language learner, you cannot use mouse over pop-up dictionaries, for instance. Why I use doc:
1. the vast majority of people use Microsoft Word as their text editor, so doc files are readily available for them for further quick editing in ANY language
2. you can create hyperlinks to any files (audio, html, pdf, etc) in a jiffy
3. in Word you can view, edit, save and convert files in many formats
4. in Word you can QUICKLY make parallel texts with cells in ANY language
5. you can drag and drop other texts (from web browsers or pdf files)
6. you can use any mouse over pop ups (I use Polish, English, Russian, Japanese, Chinese, Korean - they all work with Word, hardly anyone works with pdf files)

So? What's to be done?

numerodix
Trilingual Hexaglot
Netherlands
Joined 6578 days ago

856 posts - 1226 votes 
Speaks: EnglishC2*, Norwegian*, Polish*, Italian, Dutch, French
Studies: Portuguese, Mandarin

Message 16 of 103
27 March 2010 at 4:12pm | IP Logged 
MarcoDiAngelo wrote:
This is right, Open Office can open the .doc files!

This is what siomotteikiru said about using Word:

Pdf format is the worst file for the language learner, you cannot use mouse over pop-up dictionaries, for instance. Why I use doc:
1. the vast majority of people use Microsoft Word as their text editor, so doc files are readily available for them for further quick editing in ANY language
2. you can create hyperlinks to any files (audio, html, pdf, etc) in a jiffy
3. in Word you can view, edit, save and convert files in many formats
4. in Word you can QUICKLY make parallel texts with cells in ANY language
5. you can drag and drop other texts (from web browsers or pdf files)
6. you can use any mouse over pop ups (I use Polish, English, Russian, Japanese, Chinese, Korean - they all work with Word, hardly anyone works with pdf files)

So? What's to be done?

These are properties of the word processor, not the file format. You can do all this in Word if you want, and then save it to .odf (the format that OpenOffice uses).

The difference is OpenOffice may not read .doc files as well as Word reads .odf files, because the .odf format is open, anyone can read how to use it, Microsoft's formats are not.

This discussion contains 103 messages over 13 pages: << Prev 13 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version