OlafP
Triglot
Germany
Joined 5230 days ago

261 posts - 667 votes 
Speaks: German*, French, English

Message 25 of 103
27 March 2010 at 6:14pm | IP Logged 
Then go for RTF. Neither RTF, nor DOC, nor ODT will be useful for eBook readers. I just checked the spec of the iRex 800S reader. All it can handle is epub, Barnes & Noble (no idea what this is) and reflowable PDF. Reflowable PDF are files that have special tags in them for screen readers used by blind people. As far as I know this reflowing doesn't always give you good results. There seems to be no single format that is ideal for everything, but RTF looks like a good compromise as a source for other formats.

Edited by OlafP on 27 March 2010 at 6:16pm

1 person has voted this message useful

MarcoDiAngelo
Tetraglot
Yugoslavia
Joined 6242 days ago

208 posts - 345 votes 
Speaks: Serbian*, English, Spanish, Russian
Studies: Thai, Polish

Message 26 of 103
27 March 2010 at 6:19pm | IP Logged 
OlafP wrote:
Then go for RTF. Neither RTF, nor DOC, nor ODT will be useful for eBook readers. I just checked the spec of the iRex 800S reader. All it can handle is epub, Barnes & Noble (no idea what this is) and reflowable PDF. Reflowable PDF are files that have special tags in them for screen readers used by blind people. As far as I know this reflowing doesn't always give you good results. There seems to be no single format that is ideal for everything, but RTF looks like a good compromise as a source for other formats.

Yes, it seems so, I will go for it. Plus, I am convinced that the most pleasant way to read parallel texts is to simply print them out.

dolly
United States
Joined 5585 days ago

191 posts - 376 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Latin

Message 27 of 103
27 March 2010 at 6:31pm | IP Logged 
MarcoDiAngelo wrote:
Plus, I am convinced that the most pleasant way to read parallel texts is to simply print them out.

I won't be printing out novels like Anna Karenina or 1984 (and these versions are twice as long). Most people wouldn't be too eager to read an entire novel on a computer, either. I'll be reading short selections on the computer and I'll buy a few dual-language books in DTE (dead tree editions).

MarcoDiAngelo
Tetraglot
Yugoslavia
Joined 6242 days ago

208 posts - 345 votes 

Message 28 of 103
27 March 2010 at 6:46pm | IP Logged 
De gustibus... I always print out my texts. And you can also read a RTF file on your computer, even short selections. :) I don't see the problem at all.

Edited by MarcoDiAngelo on 27 March 2010 at 6:47pm

Woodpecker
Triglot
United States
Joined 5606 days ago

351 posts - 590 votes 
Speaks: English*, Arabic (Written), Arabic (Egyptian)
Studies: Arabic (classical)

Message 29 of 103
27 March 2010 at 7:48pm | IP Logged 
On further consideration, .rtf is the way to go. I have to flip lots of stuff back and forth between macs and PCs when I am at my uncle's working on stuff with him and I always use .rtf to go between OpenOffice and whatever that Mac thing is called. ;-) I've never had any problems at all. Same with using .rtf from OpenOffice on the Windows PCs at school.
3 persons have voted this message useful

MarcoDiAngelo
Tetraglot
Yugoslavia
Joined 6242 days ago

208 posts - 345 votes 

Message 30 of 103
27 March 2010 at 8:36pm | IP Logged 
Done! Now all the files are RTF. :)

MarcoDiAngelo
Tetraglot
Yugoslavia
Joined 6242 days ago

208 posts - 345 votes 

Message 31 of 103
28 March 2010 at 1:20pm | IP Logged 
UPDATE:
Last night I received a gift via e-mail from an unknown friend. He gave me five more French-English books, and I have found free audio for two of them. They are already uploaded.
:)

Next I'm going to make 5-6 Russian-English plays (Chekhov and Bulgakov) and some Chekhov's stories. I will also make Anna Karenina Spanish-English-Russian soon.

Faraday
United States
Joined 5913 days ago

129 posts - 256 votes 
Speaks: German*

Message 32 of 103
28 March 2010 at 4:34pm | IP Logged 
I should mention that a generous poster here put up some bilingual texts in PDF format a few years ago. The links are below.

MarcoDiAngelo, how long does it take you to prepare a parallel text of, say, 100 pages? I've tried it in the past and gave up due to the sheer drudgery of it. I've resorted to using Google translations, which are far from perfect. If you know of a better way, let me know.

Candide

Siddhartha

Le Reve

Le avventure di Pinocchio

Anna Karenina

Die Leiden des junges Werther

La faute de l'abbé Mouret

Edited by Faraday on 28 March 2010 at 4:35pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 103 messages over 13 pages: << Prev 1 2 35 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version