United States
Joined 4923 days ago

49 posts - 74 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Icelandic, Latin, French

Message 81 of 162
31 March 2011 at 7:56pm | IP Logged 
tombombadil wrote:
. After all, the great Irish writers wrote almost exclusively in English. .

I disagree. Look back a little further. There's a tremendous amount of literature in Irish (and quite a bit in
Hiberno-Latin).

Edited by CS on 31 March 2011 at 7:57pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

Gallo1801
Diglot
Spain
Joined 4697 days ago

164 posts - 248 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Arabic (Written), Croatian, German, French

Message 82 of 162
21 January 2012 at 10:16am | IP Logged 
I want to learn it along with some friends so we can converse in it secretly! There's
almost no chance that someone would understand you here in the states, or anywhere
outside the British Isles.
1 person has voted this message useful

aodhanc
Diglot
Groupie
Iceland
Joined 6055 days ago

92 posts - 130 votes 
Speaks: English*, FrenchB2
Studies: Spanish

Message 83 of 162
15 March 2012 at 5:05pm | IP Logged 
Cainntear wrote:

The educational advantage is well known. Amazon moved into Ireland because Irish
people are better at learning languages than most English speakers, thanks to their
early experiences of school Irish.

Cainntear, as an Irish person, sorry but I have to completely disagree with you on that
point. Irish people are well-known for being among the worst learners of other
languages. Our knowledge of European languages is the worst in the EU, and as for
learning Irish, we are quite bad at that also, even though we study it for 13 years in
school.

How many Irish people do you know that competently speak the language? Very few.

The reason that Amazon and all the other US companies come to Ireland (apart from tax
reasons), is because it's an English speaking country with a well-educated workforce
(science, maths, technology). But unfortunately that good education system doesn't
extend to languages.

Edited by aodhanc on 15 March 2012 at 5:09pm

Марк
Russian Federation
Joined 4851 days ago

2096 posts - 2972 votes 
Speaks: Russian*

Message 84 of 162
15 March 2012 at 5:40pm | IP Logged 
aodhanc wrote:
Cainntear wrote:

The educational advantage is well known. Amazon moved into Ireland because Irish
people are better at learning languages than most English speakers, thanks to their
early experiences of school Irish.

Cainntear, as an Irish person, sorry but I have to completely disagree with you on that
point. Irish people are well-known for being among the worst learners of other
languages. Our knowledge of European languages is the worst in the EU, and as for
learning Irish, we are quite bad at that also, even though we study it for 13 years in
school.

How many Irish people do you know that competently speak the language? Very few.

The reason that Amazon and all the other US companies come to Ireland (apart from tax
reasons), is because it's an English speaking country with a well-educated workforce
(science, maths, technology). But unfortunately that good education system doesn't
extend to languages.

Are they taught badly or they do not want to study a useless language?
What do most Irishmen think of Irish?

aodhanc
Diglot
Groupie
Iceland
Joined 6055 days ago

92 posts - 130 votes 

Message 85 of 162
15 March 2012 at 6:04pm | IP Logged 
Mapk, it's a mixture of both reasons.

1. The curriculum for Irish is not good. The focus is too much on intricate grammar, on
history of the language, on poetry, and on prose / literature.

There is little emphasis on the modern context, on current themes, on daily
conversation. The curriculum needs a complete overhaul.

2. The motivation of the students is not very high, it is mostly seen as a compulsory
(but irrelevant) subject which is needed in order to finish secondary school. The lack
of opportunities for students to practice it outside school is another disincentive.

With other European languages, students can go in the summer for a few weeks to France
or Germany, but with Irish that option isn't available.

The Gaeltacht areas are so small (and everyone there is fluent in English also) that
practicing the language is difficult.

Edited by aodhanc on 15 March 2012 at 6:04pm

5 persons have voted this message useful

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6498 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 86 of 162
16 March 2012 at 10:10am | IP Logged 
For me Irish is primarily something I study because it is a weird language with a grammar that looks like nothing I have ever seen before - right out of Tolkien's Middle Earth. But one important factor is that there is just enough materials and services on the internet to make it possible to learn it, at least as a written language which I probably pronounce in a way that no native speaker would condone. But given that my chances of having discussions in the language are minimal that doesn't deter me.

Btw. I'll be visiting Gailimh (Galway) later this year, and I have read that 10 % of the population there are native speakers, and there might even be a possibility to pick up some materials in the language.

Edited by Iversen on 16 March 2012 at 10:13am

aodhanc
Diglot
Groupie
Iceland
Joined 6055 days ago

92 posts - 130 votes 

Message 87 of 162
16 March 2012 at 10:30am | IP Logged 
Iversen, that's excellent.

I'm glad that you aren't deterred by the negativity.

Galway is indeed one of the main centres in Ireland for the language, but not so much in
the city itself. I would recommend you venture out to the villages a few kilometers to
the west and you will be in the Irish-speaking heartland..... Bearna, An Spiddéal,
Indreabhán and further out to Ros a Mhil.

Irish people will be so astounded to hear a Dane speaking Irish, they won't believe it!
For practice on pronunciation, I would recommed watching some Irish-language TV
online..... TG4.ie

Edited by aodhanc on 16 March 2012 at 10:31am

DaraghM
Diglot
Ireland
Joined 5946 days ago

1947 posts - 2923 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: French, Russian, Hungarian

Message 88 of 162
16 March 2012 at 11:15am | IP Logged 
Iversen wrote:

Btw. I'll be visiting Gailimh (Galway) later this year, and I have read that 10 % of the population there are native speakers, and there might even be a possibility to pick up some materials in the language.

If you're in Galway you'll find plenty of Irish materials in Easons, and other bookshops. An old but very effective course is,

Buntus Cainte Ceim a hAon: A First Step in Spoken Irish

The full course costs only €25 and has six CD's of spoken Irish.

I was at a wedding in Bearna, just outside Galway, last year where most of the guests were speaking Irish, and all the wedding speeches were in Irish. I ended up using Irish, English and Hungarian during that weekend. It turned out that a lot of the staff in the Twelve hotel were actually Hungarian.

Edited by DaraghM on 16 March 2012 at 11:19am

This discussion contains 162 messages over 21 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version