162 messages over 21 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 8 ... 20 21 Next >>
doubledouble
United Kingdom
Joined 5067 days ago

8 posts - 9 votes
Studies: English

Message 57 of 162
21 June 2010 at 12:28am | IP Logged 
I want to learn Irish but I'm not sure which dialect is best to start off with, living in Ulster I guess it wouldn't be sensible to say Conas atá tú? but Cad é mar a tá tú? I'm struggling to find any resources online focusing on Ulster dialect :S
1 person has voted this message useful

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6704 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 58 of 162
21 June 2010 at 1:29am | IP Logged 
I might remember wrong, but doesn't the Irish course (Giota Beag) at BBC focus on the Ulster dialect?

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6498 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 59 of 162
21 June 2010 at 2:10am | IP Logged 
It seems that the Irish speech synthesizer" (or 'blabbermouth') speaks Ulster Irish, so that would lend support to learning the Ulster dialect first. But it doesn't really matter which dialect you choose, because they are apparently all spoken actively by very few people (and the Ulster dialect is not the most widely used). Grab whatever you can get hold on!

On the other hand there can be no discussion about which written form to choose - the modern spelling is the one approved by the Irish Department of Education in 1948. But even at my level (ignominous beginner) I have noticed differences in spelling between my dictionary and Verbix and other systems, and between different textual sources on the internet. My trusty old Teach Yourself often mentions dialectal differences at all levels.

Edited by Iversen on 21 June 2010 at 2:12am

Declan1991
Tetraglot
Ireland
Joined 6234 days ago

233 posts - 359 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Irish, French

Message 60 of 162
21 June 2010 at 2:14pm | IP Logged 
Well you would say Goidé mar atá tú, because Cad é is pronounced, and normally written as Goidé in Donegal.

Most people use the spelling of An Caighdean Oifigiúil (the official standard), with the grammar and pronunciation of their own dialect. For example, mná is pronounced mrá in Conemara but still written as the former. However, there are some differences in writing, fá for faoi reflecting the pronunciation etc. Before 1950s the spelling was absolutely ridiculous, the infamous example being Lúghbhaidh, with all but the first two letter silent in modern Irish!

Edited by Declan1991 on 21 June 2010 at 2:16pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

Tally
Bilingual Diglot
Israel
Joined 5403 days ago

135 posts - 176 votes 
Speaks: English*, Modern Hebrew*
Studies: French

Message 61 of 162
21 June 2010 at 2:47pm | IP Logged 
Declan1991 wrote:
Tally wrote:
Is there lots of literature in Irish?
Oceans,
both modern and old, stretching back over 1000 years. Old Irish is quite different from
modern Irish, but anything in the last few hundred years is relatively readable for a
speaker of modern Irish.

I think you convinced me there. Irish is now officially on my hit list :)
2 persons have voted this message useful

Cainntear
Pentaglot
Scotland
linguafrankly.blogsp
Joined 5806 days ago

4399 posts - 7687 votes 
Speaks: Lowland Scots, English*, French, Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Studies: Catalan, Italian, German, Irish, Welsh

Message 62 of 162
21 June 2010 at 3:50pm | IP Logged 
Declan1991 wrote:
Old Irish is quite different from
modern Irish, but anything in the last few hundred years is relatively readable for a
speaker of modern Irish.

While Irish is more conservative than Scottish Gaelic in terms of grammar, recent spelling reforms have made text in Old Gaelic less transparent to speakers of the modern language. Scottish Gaelic has a more conservative spelling system, so it's often claimed that Old Gaelic is easier to read for a Scottish Gael than an Irish one.

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5129 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 63 of 162
01 July 2010 at 9:46am | IP Logged 
tractor wrote:
Declan1991 wrote:
tractor wrote:
It's not exactly what Solfrid Cristin said.
Solfrid wrote:
The
main reasons why we learn English well are undubbed TV, music and the Internet.
If Solfrid wants to say
that I misunderstood "the main reasons", that's fine. And if you are picking up on "learn English" versus
"learn English well", learning a language badly is irrelevant to me. Lots of Irish people can come up with
ungrammatical sentences in Irish for lots of situations, every single person has some knowledge of Irish ranging
from finding it difficult to talk about oneself and ones family to six hundred word essays on the economy. They
are both products of the same education system, but the minority thrive, the majority fail. What makes the
Scandinavian system different is that a much larger group of people fall into the upper bracket, due to Internet,
TV etc.

And that is backed up by personal experience with compulsory education both here in Ireland, and anecdotal
evidence from numerous Dutch and Germans I've spoken to.

Solfrid also said: "Give us that amount of exposure in Russian, including the compulsury learning since the 1st
grade, and we'll amaze you with our Russian as well. :-)" So, she hasn't said that compulsory education is
irrelevant. Anyway, she can clarify her views if she feels to.

Just because compulsory education doesn't work in one country, doesn't mean that compulsory education won't
work in another country. Most Scandinavians wouldn't learn English well if we didn't have easy access to native
sources and if we weren't exposed to English on a daily basis through TV, but most Scandinavians wouldn't learn
English well either if we didn't learn English in school from an early age. As I've said, compulsory education is
one of the factors. Other factors are TV, music, usefulness and the fact that English is related to our native
language.

Dutch and Scandinavians speak English quite well. A lot of Germans speak English well also. I would guess that
the average German pupil gets a lot less exposure from native sources though, since they watch dubbed TV and
movies. Maybe they do learn something in school?

The point I was trying to make is that it is the combination of formal education and massive exposure that does the trick. We can look at three different examples:

* English in Norway: 8 years of formal education + massive exposure = Very good results
* German/French/Spanish in Norway: 3-6 years of formal education + very little exposure = mediocre results
* English in Spain 6-8 years of formal education + little exposure= mediocre results.

The one factor I did not mention of course is motivation. My sister had a charismatic German teacher, and wanted to impress him, and has a high degree of fluency in German now. I had the same teacher in French, and am now fluent in French. Not because he was a good French teacher, but because he made me love French, so that I the following year went to France and ended up studying it at the University of Oslo.

And for the record, in my opinion you need to be an uncommonly motivated student in order to match a university study by self studying.

What makes me sad, is that in Norway everyone who did high school, used to do English, German and French. Even those who specialized in Math had to do a little in all three languages. It did not make them fluent, but it gave them a basis, and those who were more interested could go on on their own. Now it is only the language nerds who do three foreign languages in high shool,and if your are too lazy you can just "specialize" in English and Norwegian instead of doing a second foreign language.

The fact that most of us speak English well, make us forget how important the other languages are. We would for example need more people to be fluent in German, as Germany is an important trading partner,and in Germany people over the age of 50, who tend to have the most influential jobs, do not all speak English well.

Had it been up to me, we would have started with English at the age of 4, German at the age of 7, French at the age of 10, Spanish at the age of 13, for then to let the pupils chose between Russian, Mandarin, Arabic or Japanese at the age of 16. This of course in combination with available TV- channels and games in all the mentioned languages, as well as in a number of other languages so that those who were particularly interested could learn more. Now that would help us learn the languages we needed!!

7 persons have voted this message useful

Declan1991
Tetraglot
Ireland
Joined 6234 days ago

233 posts - 359 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Irish, French

Message 64 of 162
01 July 2010 at 1:50pm | IP Logged 
Excellent post Solfrid, that's exactly what I think. The combination of education and exposure/motivation. Either on their own are a waste of time except for a few.

This discussion contains 162 messages over 21 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 79 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version