Russian Federation
Joined 4851 days ago

2096 posts - 2972 votes 
Speaks: Russian*

Message 129 of 162
05 July 2012 at 1:34pm | IP Logged 
DaraghM wrote:
If the Irish government, were told by the IMF, that they could no longer
afford to teach or support the language, and that it would be wound up, a lot more people
would start learning it.

Why?
1 person has voted this message useful

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6498 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 130 of 162
05 July 2012 at 1:48pm | IP Logged 
I mentioned Henry not because he controlled a large part of the country, but because his actions from around 1631 marked a turning-point in the relations between England and Ireland. Until then it seems that Irland mainly was rules by the kind of people which Henry II brought there. With Henry VIII's split from the catholic religion, which didn't please the Irish, Ireland became something to be subdued. And even though Henry didn't at once get the control he wanted he laid down some principles that didn't bode well for the Irish semi-autonomy:

Henry VIII‘s Irish policy marked a turning point in the history of relations betweenEngland and Ireland:

1. It added religion to the problems already faced by English kings in Ireland. To be regarded as truly loyal, Irish Catholics would have to change their religion.
2. It introduced a new fierceness and lack of tolerance in the conduct of relations with Ireland. Executions were now commonplace.
3. Its expense forced English rulers to look for cheaper alternatives to controlling Ireland, thus paving the way for the policy of plantation or settling Protestants in Ireland.
4. It began a train of events which transformed Ireland. In 1500 royal authority was feeble and mainly confined to the Pale. By 1700 royal authority was extended to all parts of the country.

(quote from 'Irish Pathways')

Edited by Iversen on 05 July 2012 at 1:50pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

Tyr
Sweden
Joined 5577 days ago

316 posts - 384 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Swedish

Message 131 of 162
06 July 2012 at 2:34am | IP Logged 
I guess a big difference with Irish and Welsh is that Welsh is such a critical part of the Welsh national identity.
Wales has traditionally legally been pretty much just a standard part of England. Welsh was the key difference and a big definer of Welshness.

Ireland on the other hand...even when Ireland was part of the UK it was a seperate and equal country. Now it is independant it has even more of a seperate identity as a completely different sovereign state. It just doesn't rely on Gaelic so much to define itself.
It hasn't always been the case of course. Back in the 19th century Irish was critical to Irish nationalism. However this was very much a top-down thing. The anglo-Irish elites learning Irish as something cool and uniquely Irish, rather different to the Welsh where its generally the people on the bottom level who have been preserving their language. If Ireland had not became independant then who knows, perhaps Irish would be doing much better in Ireland as it would be far more critical to Irish identity. As things stand though its a bit redundant and pointless for the average man on the street.

Quote:
It is not wrong. Without people like Edward I of England (Scotland, Wales) or Henry II and later Henry VIII (Ireland) doing evil things to the poor little celts there wouldn't even be an English speaking population in those places. And without later generations of ruthless English rulers (including local nobility imported from England and their staff) the poor little celts wouldn't have found it practical to switch to English. But history is history even when it is nasty, and now the majority of the Irish have English as their mother tongue, and it is understandable if they prefer speaking a world language and not a language which almost noone outside the island can understand.

I have the deepest sympathy for those who carry on the Celtic torch, and I'm in the process of learning Irish myself, but the status you can hope for for the Irish language is as second language with the role of profiling the Irish country as something different from other Anglophone countries. And in that context the main problem seen from abroad appear to be that the teaching of Irish is done in a way that doesn't produce fluent second language speakers.

Yes it is wrong. Languages aren't my main area of knowledge but history is.
I never denied bad things happened in history. Look into history and you'll find examples of every country doing bad things to their neighbours.
What I object to is the daft and all too common painting of history as one of the English doing nothing but try their hardest to stamp out the celts. Which is just nonsense. The world is not so black and white.
Even in your examples- Edward I was a French speaker. Part of a dynasty just as foreign to England as to Scotland. You more often see this with reference to the Norman invasions of Ireland but it always strikes me as kind of insulting that England gets the blame for what the guy busy oppressing the English did in his spare time. And English speakers in Scotland go back much longer than him, English is just as native to Scotalnd as Gaelic is.
Henry VIII- and English catholics had it much better? Just because he spoke the same language as the people in England and ranked his title of king of England higher than that of king of Ireland it doesn't mean he treat common English people any better, the fault here is hardly with the English but with absolute monarchs in general.
Even just judging what these monarchs got up to- it wasn't out of any particular hatred of Irishness or whathaveyou. Such concerns just didn't apply until the 18th-19th centuries. It was about expanding their personal power. That this led to English becoming ever more important and Irish ever less so was just as side effect.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Марк
Russian Federation
Joined 4851 days ago

2096 posts - 2972 votes 
Speaks: Russian*

Message 132 of 162
06 July 2012 at 6:23am | IP Logged 
I wonder why this thread wasn't closed from the beginning?
1 person has voted this message useful

DaraghM
Diglot
Ireland
Joined 5946 days ago

1947 posts - 2923 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: French, Russian, Hungarian

Message 133 of 162
06 July 2012 at 10:36am | IP Logged 
Марк wrote:
Why?

We can be very lackadaisical about what we have, until you take it away from us. I also think the fear of loss of our cultural identity would drive it.

DaraghM
Diglot
Ireland
Joined 5946 days ago

1947 posts - 2923 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: French, Russian, Hungarian

Message 134 of 162
06 July 2012 at 10:38am | IP Logged 
Марк wrote:

I wondered that too.

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5129 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 135 of 162
06 July 2012 at 11:39am | IP Logged 
Марк wrote:

Presumably because the moderators want to give us all a chance to show that we are adults - or resonsible teenagers - who can discsuss matters in a calm and rational way.

How about proving them right? Would that be an idea?

Edited by Solfrid Cristin on 09 July 2012 at 12:33am

7 persons have voted this message useful

Elexi
United Kingdom
Joined 5360 days ago

938 posts - 1839 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French, German, Latin

Message 136 of 162
06 July 2012 at 2:18pm | IP Logged 
To be pedantic I should point out that the Kings of England, like Henry VIII were the
Lords of Ireland not Kings of.

Further, I am not entirely sure that the connection between the suppression of the
Catholic mass (which as I understand it was said in Latin until the 1950s) and the
suppression of the Irish language can be made out. Queen Elizabeth I of England paid
for an printing press to be built using Irish characters and set TCD under Archbishop
Uilliam Ó Domhnaill of Tuam at work to make translations into Irish of the New
Testament and the Book of Common Prayer, with other works following. Whilst I accept
that Roman Catholicism was suppressed, often cruelly (as were Calvinists in France), I
don't see that it can be said that the Irish language was suppressed as a result of it
- in fact the opposite seems to be the case.

Here is a link on Church of Ireland translations:
http://justus.anglican.org/resources/bcp/Muss-Arnolt/ch9&10. htm

This discussion contains 162 messages over 21 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version