Is Polish really that hard?

Language Learning Forum : Specific Languages Post Reply
125 messages over 16 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 14 ... 15 16 Next >>
michi
Nonaglot
Austria
Joined 5096 days ago

33 posts - 57 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, German, French, English, Italian, Spanish, Russian, Swedish, Portuguese
Studies: Turkish, Arabic (Written), Serbo-Croatian, Indonesian, Japanese

Message 105 of 125
10 August 2011 at 1:59pm | IP Logged 
Just a few days ago I have started to learn a little bit of Polish again, because I intend to go on a holiday to Krakow. I have learned a little bit in the past on my own. In the discussion so far I have been missing two important points.

1) It makes an enormous difference if you already know another Slavic language. I have studied Russian for one year at the university and I have learned some Croatian as well and was an enormous help for learning Polish. Both the vocabulary and the grammar are quite similar.
2) If I compare the difficulty of Polish and Russian - the Slavic language that is learned most abroad . the big advantage for Polish for me is that is in written in the Latin and not the Cyrillic script. Although the Cyrillic alphabet is not that difficult, it is a problem if you don't read in it every day.

For this reason I tend to say that although its grammar is more complicated for me personally Polish is easier than Russian. Of the three Slavic languages that I have learned however Croatian is definitely the easiest.
1 person has voted this message useful

Martien
Heptaglot
Netherlands
martienvanwanrooij.n
Joined 6900 days ago

134 posts - 148 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, German, Spanish, Turkish, Italian, French
Studies: Portuguese, Serbo-Croatian, Latin, Swedish, Arabic (Written)

Message 106 of 125
10 August 2011 at 2:35pm | IP Logged 
@michi I think you have some good points. You could also take in mind that the in spite of the complexity of grammar, the script is quite regular. If you hear a word, you won't always know how to spell it, but if you read a word, you will know how to pronounce it (thanks to its regular stress). Sometimes I hear a comment that Polish is difficult because pairs of consonants often behave like one letter (cz, rz) but it is just a matter of getting used and English has the same feature. Even people who are not fluent in English, won't pronounce "flushing" like "flus-hing" or "point" like "pow-int" :)

Homogenik
Diglot
Canada
Joined 4619 days ago

314 posts - 407 votes 
Speaks: French*, English
Studies: Polish, Mandarin

Message 107 of 125
14 September 2011 at 12:36am | IP Logged 
I've been having a little trouble with the many variations on iść, jechać, jeździć and chodzić so I tried to make
myself a little table to sort things out. I was wondering if any of you could comment on it. Have I forgotten
something? Is something wrong in my assessment (which I gathered this afternoon from various dictionaries and
other resources). Sometimes, each verb has more than one signification but I just put in one to be as simple as
possible for my level of learning. And, as far as I can tell, all the non-accomplished verbs are also iterative except
iść and jechać.

NDK (niedokonany) / DK (dokonany) / Signification
iść / pójść / to go, on foot
jechać / pojechać / to go, or to leave in vehicle
przychodzić / przyjść / to come
przyjeżdżać / przyjechać / to come in v.
przechodzić / przejść / to cross (road) or to go see (someone)
przejeżdżać /przejechać / to cross in v.
pochodzić / pochodzić / 2 forms of same verb : DK (to originate from), NDK (to date from)
chodzić / pochodzić / to walk or have a little walk
jeździć / pojeździć / to go or to have a little trip in v.
wychodzić / wyjść / to go out
wyjeżdżać / wyjechać / to go out or to leave in a v.
wjeżdżać / wjechać / to enter in a v. (and not to enter a v.)
wchodzić / wejść / to enter
odchodzić / odejść / to leave
odjeżdżać / odjechać / to leave in a v.
dochodzić / dojść / to get close to
dojeżdżać / dojechać / to get close to, to reach a place, in a v.
podjeżdżać / podjechać / to get close to, in a v.
podchodzić / podejść / to get close to
obchodzić /obejść / to have to go around something
objeżdżać / objechać / to have to go around something, in a v.
najeżdżać / najechać / to hit something or to invade a place, with a v.
nachodzić / najść / to hit something or to invade a place
rozjeżdżać / rozjechać / to crush or hit someone, with a v.
rozchodzić się / rozejść się / to leave each other or to disband
zjeżdżać / zjechać / to go down a hill or to go astray, in a v.
schodzić / zejść / to go down a hill or to go astray

Haukilahti
Triglot
Groupie
Finland
Joined 4759 days ago

94 posts - 126 votes 
Speaks: Finnish*, English, Polish

Message 108 of 125
16 September 2011 at 11:44am | IP Logged 
Nothing new for you, I think, but here is my understanding. I called "indeterminate" what you call "iterative", I think.

The usual grouping for the "basic" forms are:

chodzić / isć / pójść
jeździć / jechać / pojechać

where the first two forms are niedokonany, the last one dokonany. Of the two imperfective verbs, the first is "indeterminate", meaning either without a destination "I walk in the park", or repeated "I go to school everyday", the second is "determinate": "I am going to school now".

Those two niedokonany forms are then used to make all the other ones, with indeterminate becoming niedokonany and determinate becoming dokonany:

wychodzić / wyjść
wyjeżdżać / wyjechać

Note the jeździć to -jeżdżać transformation.

Other than that, I don't think (natives please!) that there is much of a difference between the different forms with the same preposition, if you take into account that chodzić/iść means by foot, jeździć(-jeżdżać)/jechać means by vehicle, etc.
Therefore all wy- forms mean "to leave", etc.

I'm not good enough to comment on all those forms, but I'd add to the w- forms (wejść, etc.) the meaning "to climb (a hill)".

The same rules and prefixes work almost identically with "to fly" latać/lecieć/polecieć and "to swim" (also in the meaning: to go, to travel by ship or boat): pływać/płynąć/popłynąć.

Also very similar are the constructions from "to carry": nosić/nieść/ponieść (by foot) and wozić/wieźć/powieźć (zawieźć?).
For example: "to bring (by foot)" przynosić/przynieść (ndk/dk).

Edited by Haukilahti on 16 September 2011 at 11:46am

3 persons have voted this message useful

Homogenik
Diglot
Canada
Joined 4619 days ago

314 posts - 407 votes 
Speaks: French*, English
Studies: Polish, Mandarin

Message 109 of 125
16 September 2011 at 7:22pm | IP Logged 
wow, thank you so much, that was really helpful to me.

EricsonWillians
Triglot
Brazil
myspace.com/pois
Joined 4800 days ago

8 posts - 12 votes
Speaks: Portuguese*, English, German
Studies: Norwegian, Polish, Italian

Message 110 of 125
26 September 2011 at 2:24am | IP Logged 
I must confess that I didn't read all this thread, just 3 pages of it. But anyway, I
would like to express my opinion about this really interesting language (Polish).

I'm a Brazilian and I've learned English and a lot of German by my own (Without having
any English or German family, or anyone to test my skills), and I've found a lot of
difficulties in German and its really irritating 4 cases.

I've begun to explore the Polish language now and I've found it initially EXTREMELY
difficult, and that's what I have to say: When you have Portuguese as a native
language, it's REALLY insane to learn a Slavic Language from nothing, specially polish,
which uses the same alphabet that I use, but with a lot of STRANGE things, such as the
"ogonek" for "ą" and "ę", and it's COUNTLESS consonants.

For a Brazilian, when I show a text in polish (That's happened to me in my first
contact with the language), it seems to be just UNSPEAKABLE. For example, the word for
"passado" in Portuguese: "przeszłość" (Correct me if I'm wrong). It seems completely
insane to pronounce, I've lost a lot of time with the polish sounds.

Well, but I have this necessity, I really want to learn a Slavic Language, since I
speak none of them, I think that by learning some of polish I'll have less problems
when I begin to explore the Russian Language.

Kartof
Bilingual Triglot
United States
Joined 4861 days ago

391 posts - 550 votes 
Speaks: English*, Bulgarian*, Spanish
Studies: Danish

Message 111 of 125
26 September 2011 at 4:30am | IP Logged 
EricsonWillians wrote:

Well, but I have this necessity, I really want to learn a Slavic Language, since I
speak none of them, I think that by learning some of polish I'll have less problems
when I begin to explore the Russian Language.

Not to be nosy, but what about Bulgarian? No cases, similar sounds to Portuguese, complex verbs like in
Portuguese, and a lot of vocabulary in common with Russian. The only hinderance may be Cyrillic, which may be
an advantage if you're confused by consonant clusters and diacritics. If you have a particular attachment to Polish,
disregard what I just said :).

EricsonWillians
Triglot
Brazil
myspace.com/pois
Joined 4800 days ago

8 posts - 12 votes
Speaks: Portuguese*, English, German
Studies: Norwegian, Polish, Italian

Message 112 of 125
26 September 2011 at 4:43am | IP Logged 
Kartof wrote:
Not to be nosy, but what about Bulgarian? No cases, similar sounds to
Portuguese, complex verbs like in
Portuguese, and a lot of vocabulary in common with Russian. The only hinderance may be
Cyrillic, which may be
an advantage if you're confused by consonant clusters and diacritics. If you have a
particular attachment to Polish,
disregard what I just said :).

I've developed a particular taste by the Polish language, because of this natural
thought that the language is hard, but I'll take a look at the Bulgarian, it sounds
very interesting (Despite the complexity of the verbs just like in Portuguese, that's
not a very attractive thing hahaha). The verbs of my language are really hard, and it's
funny the fact that the majority of the Brazilian people don't speak their language
CORRECTLY (In fact, that's really frustrating and bloody shameful). I speak good
Portuguese, but because of me, a lot of people here are very ignorant. I don't know if
that happens in European countries, but here a lot of people just speak
Portuguese WRONG.

Edited by EricsonWillians on 26 September 2011 at 4:45am

This discussion contains 125 messages over 16 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version