Poland
Joined 5522 days ago

448 posts - 840 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English
Studies: French, Portuguese, Norwegian

Message 17 of 125
07 May 2010 at 6:06pm | IP Logged 
TixhiiDon wrote:
I certainly found Polish more difficult than Russian. As well as the seven cases, Polish
also has the irritating masculine genitive singular that can be (if I remember rightly) -
a or -u with no specific rules. The locative case consonant changes: Praga - w Pradzie
(again, correct me if I'm wrong!) are also hard to remember. The fact that adjectives go
before and after nouns also presents a problem.

On the other hand, Polish's regular stress is a godsend after Russian! I still think the
former is harder though.

It actually would be Pradze, with no "i" in there. W Pradzie could be used when talking about a Prada boutique.
1 person has voted this message useful

TixhiiDon
Tetraglot
Japan
Joined 5258 days ago

772 posts - 1474 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese, German, Russian
Studies: Georgian

Message 18 of 125
07 May 2010 at 11:36pm | IP Logged 
Thanks for the correction! See what I mean about the consonant changes being
difficult?

The reason I gave this example is because the second time I went to Poland I was
staying in a dormitory in the Praga area of Warsaw. I arrived on a very hot Summer
day, got myself to downtown Warsaw, and then realized I needed to take a taxi to Praga.
I was stressed, hot, and tired, but my taxi driver was very friendly and kept on trying
to chat to me in Polish. I remember making so many mistakes talking to him. I said
"It's very cold today!" even though it was about 32 degrees, and I also told him to
take me to Prague rather than Praga (I can't remember the Polish now, unfortunately).
He was laughing his head off, no doubt wondering who on earth this crazy foreigner in
his taxi was! He corrected my mistake but obviously it didn't sink in...

This was 1992 so there were no Prada boutiques in Warsaw at that time!
2 persons have voted this message useful

Slovak_anglo
Diglot
Groupie
United States
facebook.com/deliver
Joined 5139 days ago

87 posts - 100 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Italian, Slovak

Message 19 of 125
08 May 2010 at 3:51am | IP Logged 
I would say Slovak is as hard as polish. It also has seven cases. Although vocative is almost obsolete I've heard.... correct me if I'm wrong

Chung
Diglot
Joined 6950 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Polish, Slovak, Uzbek, Turkish, Korean, Finnish

Message 20 of 125
08 May 2010 at 5:43am | IP Logged 
Vocative is practically obsolete in Slovak and so Slovak is taught as having six cases. If you look at declension tables for Slovak adjectives or nouns you will see that a distinct entry for vocative is missing. When addressing someone in Slovak you almost always use the nominative.

Forms such as "Bože!", "priateľu!" etc. are treated as relics and no longer viewed or taught as belonging to a separate case even though they are effectively the continuation of the vocative.

Derian
Triglot
PolandRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5102 days ago

227 posts - 464 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English, German
Studies: Spanish, Russian, Czech, French, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 21 of 125
14 May 2010 at 9:12pm | IP Logged 
numerodix wrote:
I'm sure people who are dedicated succeed, but on the whole I wouldn't suggest Poles are strong at languages. I've never attended school in Poland, but I have to assume that the standard of education has to be quite poor, given the average person's level of English

Oh my, you are SO wrong with your assumptions. The standard of education in Poland is very high, and even extremely high in comparison to many parts of Europe. And judging it by the level of our English is very unfair, because for us - native speakers of a Slavic language - English is a very exotic language. It's very different from our own language, thus it presents many difficulties that the speakers of, say, Germanic languages don't get to face.
The learners of English from Norway, Sweden, Danemark, Germany have it sooo much easier, and by default they will always speak English better than most of us.
Also the native speakers of the latin languages have it significantly easier than us.

If it was Czech or Russian that people in all countries learned... mate, then it would be a whole different story :)

numerodix wrote:
I was struck by the truly vast amount of advertising for private foreign language schools. I've never seen anything like it. So many different companies selling their services, above all for English, "business English" and things like that. (frankly I doubt these language schools get all that much business despite their advertising).
That's illogical. It's always the consumers' demand that drives the business. What else, right? Those schools make great profits.

But coming back to the standard of Polish education. In the last couple of years there have been numerous cases like this one:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-491438/Outclassed-Th e-Mail-investigates-Polish-students-claims-really-far-behind .html

Aleksander said that before he left Poland he was an average student.
"In Poland, I only ever got average marks in maths, yet in the UK teachers said I was a genius," he claimed yesterday. "After a year I was top of the class in everything, and that includes English."

This article is a very interesting read.

Edited by Derian on 14 May 2010 at 9:26pm

16 persons have voted this message useful

Derian
Triglot
PolandRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5102 days ago

227 posts - 464 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English, German
Studies: Spanish, Russian, Czech, French, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 22 of 125
14 May 2010 at 9:21pm | IP Logged 
Kubelek wrote:
H and CH are now the same sound. Some old people still pronounce them distinctly, but I've never met such a person.
You didn't get what he meant.
We're talking about the different qualities of the /ch/ SOUND, not the sound of what is spelled with a "ch" in Polish.
So he meant the difference between "cz" and "ć".

Kubelek
Tetraglot
Switzerland
chomikuj.pl/Kuba_wal
Joined 6646 days ago

415 posts - 528 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, EnglishC2, French, Spanish
Studies: German

Message 23 of 125
15 May 2010 at 12:19am | IP Logged 
You're right of course, I guess I wasn't really paying attention when I replied to that post.

ellasevia
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2011
Germany
Joined 5936 days ago

2150 posts - 3229 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Croatian, Greek, French, Spanish, Russian, Swedish, Portuguese, Turkish, Italian
Studies: Catalan, Persian, Mandarin, Japanese, Romanian, Ukrainian

Message 24 of 125
15 May 2010 at 12:22am | IP Logged 
Derian wrote:
Kubelek wrote:
H and CH are now the same sound. Some old people still pronounce them distinctly, but I've never met such a person.
You didn't get what he meant.
We're talking about the different qualities of the /ch/ SOUND, not the sound of what is spelled with a "ch" in Polish.
So he meant the difference between "cz" and "ć".

What exactly is the difference between these two sounds? Is it important to distinguish them in Polish? Would you be understood if you don't distinguish between them?

This discussion contains 125 messages over 16 pages: << Prev 1 24 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version