Hong Kong
Joined 6132 days ago

346 posts - 431 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: French*, English
Studies: Mandarin, Cantonese, Shanghainese, German

Message 1 of 50
26 May 2010 at 5:22pm | IP Logged 
Since the devices are quite popular and have a lot of apps available, I thought it
would be a great idea to create a thread about them. If you found any great app, please
share your feedback with the rest of us.

Here are my favorite language learning apps so far:
iFlipr: SRS flashcards program that already has a vast library of user generated cards.
I have tried many different flashcards applications and this is my favorite one so far.
It is an iPhone app and costs $2.99.

Pleco: The best Chinese learning app I found so far. It includes many dictionaries, a
flashcard application that also lets you write the characters, a web browser that
translates and saves words, a talking dictionary that actually says complete words
instead of syllables and some other functions. It will cost between $0 and $99.99
depending on what version you get but it is the most complete app so far, it is far
better than any physical electronic dictionary. The app includes an iPhone version and
an iPad version.

eStroke: A decent dictionary that also shows how to write each character in the proper
order. The great thing about it is that it shows how actual handwriting should look
like instead of computer fonts. The app also features Cantonese pronunciations of each
characters, something that I haven't seen in other apps. The iPhone version is $6.99
and the iPad version is $8.99

nciku: Offline version of the nciku dictionary. Great because it contains a lot of
sample sentences but the search engines sometimes has difficulties finding words. Still
a great iPhone app (I bought it for $2.99 but since then they increased the price to
$4.99).

MyWords/WordPpower: Complete rubbish, a total waste of money. The translations are full
of mistakes and the company hasn't updated it in 2 years. They do not listen to users
feedback and outsource the translations since they cannot speak the languages they
claim to teach. Both apps also have exactly the same content so I felt cheated twice.

Edited by Asiafeverr on 26 May 2010 at 5:50pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

magictom123
United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5383 days ago

272 posts - 365 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Italian, French

Message 2 of 50
26 May 2010 at 6:43pm | IP Logged 
wunder radio: listen to your target language anywhere you go. excellent app

youtube: watch video content in your target language.

tippy tops translator (web app - so google it): mainly for romance languages with chinese (i think). One of the best hassle free translators ive seen for the iphone.

skype: chat with natives on your phone. Also has text chat capabilities.

Online newspapers: I won't be too specific but many countries leading papers have apps for the iphone. I've been using gazetta dello sport and it is great.
collins dictionaries: Mine is Italian-english nd its very good. You can conjugate verbs, theres a dicionary and the design and content is good.

lonely planet/last minute.com phrasebooks: for beginners and has some mistakes but could be useful for the casual learner/beginner.

There are so many others but I have tried not to be language specific and of course a lot of apps are language specific.

A final few include anki and byki. Flash card apps for the iphone. Also, I believe there is a sample michel thomas free app on the app store now which seems to have intregated flashcard-esque capabilities and some other undesirables into its app.

There, I hope that helps

Tom

1 person has voted this message useful

egill
Diglot
United States
Joined 5486 days ago

418 posts - 791 votes 
Speaks: Mandarin, English*
Studies: German, Spanish, Dutch

Message 3 of 50
26 May 2010 at 11:34pm | IP Logged 
A native Anki client for iPhone/iTouch was submitted by the author a couple days ago. I
can't wait until it's approved!

I second the Pleco recommendation too, as it has served me well. However, I will say
that it was much nicer using it with a full keyboard on my old palm centro than my
iPod's virtual keyboard.

Finally there are a bunch of free/cheap dictionaries in various languages that are
always nice, for want of not lugging around heavy books everywhere.

What I will not recommend is the bevy of so-called foreign language learning apps, that
translated a couple touristy phrases for hundreds of languages in batches, and want you
to actually pay money for it. An example of which was recently advertised here (and
thankfully promptly deleted).

Edit: I wanted to add, that the Deutsche Welle app is also quite useful,
streaming news both textual, video, and audio in many languages.

Edited by egill on 26 May 2010 at 11:35pm

TheGBiBanana
United States
Joined 5098 days ago

16 posts - 16 votes
Studies: Arabic (classical), Arabic (Iraqi), Arabic (Written)

Message 4 of 50
27 May 2010 at 5:55am | IP Logged 
If you are studying Arabic, do yourself a favor and download the free Al-Jazeera Arabic app. It streams in excellent quality when connected to Wi-Fi or when you have strong 3G signal. Very nice to have when you want some form of immersion to compliment your studying and practice.

Asiafeverr
Diglot
Hong Kong
Joined 6132 days ago

346 posts - 431 votes 
1 sounds

Message 5 of 50
27 May 2010 at 7:05pm | IP Logged 
Here are some TV stations and video streaming websites from various countries that also
have free apps:
China: YouKu, 凤凰网, CCTV, Sina, RumTel (this one lets you stream a lot of different
Chinese channels)
USA: TED, ABC, NPR
UK: BBC
2 persons have voted this message useful

Risch
Groupie
United States
Joined 5379 days ago

49 posts - 71 votes 

Message 6 of 50
29 May 2010 at 5:07am | IP Logged 
egill wrote:
A native Anki client for iPhone/iTouch was submitted by the author a
couple days ago. I

Looks like it was approved. Although I haven't downloaded it yet because it costs $25
USD. It might be worth it if it worked as smoothly as the desktop app, but it sounds
like it still needs some work.

Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
learnlangs.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6260 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Esperanto, Greek, Mandarin, Latin, Dutch, Italian
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swahili, Indonesian, Japanese, Modern Hebrew, Portuguese

Message 7 of 50
29 May 2010 at 10:26am | IP Logged 
Risch wrote:
egill wrote:
A native Anki client for iPhone/iTouch was submitted by the
author a
couple days ago. I

Looks like it was approved. Although I haven't downloaded it yet because it costs $25
USD. It might be worth it if it worked as smoothly as the desktop app, but it sounds
like it still needs some work.

I got the iPhone app (AnkiSRS) yesterday, and I won't review my cards any other way. It
works very smoothly, and synching is much easier than with iAnki. However, it's not
stand-alone, you still have to add or edit your cards using Anki Online or a desktop
client. This will be fixed in the next version.
4 persons have voted this message useful

Asiafeverr
Diglot
Hong Kong
Joined 6132 days ago

346 posts - 431 votes 
1 sounds

Message 8 of 50
29 May 2010 at 5:58pm | IP Logged 
WOW! Looks like I have a new favorite SRS app :)

This discussion contains 50 messages over 7 pages: 2 3 4 5 6 7  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version