Triglot
United States
Joined 5380 days ago

48 posts - 77 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Ancient Greek
Studies: French, Latin, Sanskrit

Message 33 of 50
18 July 2010 at 2:14pm | IP Logged 
Though I have and use Anki for my iPod Touch, I also use Flashcard Deluxe fairly often. I primarily use it for the
Leitner-style flashcard system for shorter-term recall, though it does have a good SRS algorithm. I find it useful
when I'm learning new vocabulary and when none of my Anki reviews are due. Honestly, if it had a computer
version, it'd be just about as powerful as Mnemosyne or Anki.

Edited by Ocius on 18 July 2010 at 2:16pm

1 person has voted this message useful

jondesousa
Tetraglot
United States
goo.gl/Zgg3nRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6054 days ago

227 posts - 297 votes 
Speaks: English*, Portuguese, Japanese, Esperanto
Studies: Latin, Mandarin, Spanish

Message 34 of 50
18 July 2010 at 5:44pm | IP Logged 
Arekkusu wrote:
How about Japanese input? I know you can easily switch between languages, but can
you
easily switch between keyboards?

There is a small button on the keyboard which allows you to switch between keyboards. I frequently use th
Japanese and Simplifies Chinese keyboards.

Aquila
Triglot
Netherlands
Joined 5271 days ago

104 posts - 128 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, German
Studies: French

Message 35 of 50
22 August 2010 at 3:38pm | IP Logged 
I use Flashcards Deluxe and i'm quite satisfied with it. The app is easy to use and it's very easy to make new cards. You can make them on your phone but also on your computer, wich is much faster. I tried to use software like Anki and Mnemosyne on my computer, but I don't like to learn this way behind my computer. With the new app on my phone it's much more comfortable, because you carry it everywhere.

I've considered to give the app from Anki a try, but because of the higher price I haven't done it yet. I'm interested in experiences of people who use Anki on the iPhone and the differences between the various available apps.

Edited by Aquila on 22 August 2010 at 3:40pm

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5171 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 
Speaks: English, French*, GermanC1, Spanish, Japanese, Esperanto
Studies: Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Estonian

Message 36 of 50
03 September 2010 at 10:04pm | IP Logged 
If I may expand the scope of the thread somewhat, may I asked how users of iPod Touch/iPad devices use them for they language studies, in particular with Japanese?

Lexii
United States
Joined 5012 days ago

162 posts - 194 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese

Message 37 of 50
03 September 2010 at 10:49pm | IP Logged 
I have a number of apps I use to supplement my Japanese studies. Below are a few I like. I have others (many others) but these are the ones I seem to use most right now. I'm a relative beginner (perhaps upper-beginner?), so factor that in when considering my experiences and opinions.

Apps:

~ Kanji LS Touch and Kana LS Touch -- allows me to practice writing. I can write with or without guides. Kanji LS contains loads of info about each kanji. Testing for both is tracked via Leitner-style groupings. There is a Japanese LS Touch, too, to practice writing whole words. No audio.

~ Kanji Flip and Japanese Flip -- easy to use SRS for individual kanji and for vocab words. No writing practice or audio. There's a Kana Flip too but if you already have Kanji Flip, Kana Flip is included.

~ Tae Kim's guide -- easy access wherever I am!

~ Kotoba

~ Wunder Radio -- radio from around the world!

~ NumberKanji-- I just got this one to help learn counters. All categories. Straight forward, no bells and whistles, just the facts. Good for reference. I especially like that it highlights all the exceptions in blue.

~ Netflix -- Netflix has a decent selection of Japanese movies and now I can watch from my Instant queue wherever I have tn internet connection

Audiobooks:

~ Pimsleur Japanese Phase 1 (1st 30 lessons of Pimsleur)

-------------------------------------------------

I wish I could try Anki but Anki and my computer did not get along (long story) so obviously I can't use the IPod version. I've only heard good things about it.

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5171 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 
Speaks: English, French*, GermanC1, Spanish, Japanese, Esperanto
Studies: Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Estonian

Message 38 of 50
07 September 2010 at 6:48pm | IP Logged 
novemberain wrote:
Smart.fm has iPhone app which is quite useful, however, I expect their drill application on their website running on
the iPad to be even more useful. Looking forward to putting my hands on the iPad, that form factor is exactly what I
wanted all along for language learning.

I keep hearing about this smart.fm app, but I can't find it anywhere! I can only find their TOIEC or podcast versions in Japanese. Or is this a local version only that I can't access in Canada? Or has it been pulled?

Lexii
United States
Joined 5012 days ago

162 posts - 194 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese

Message 39 of 50
07 September 2010 at 7:58pm | IP Logged 
Arekkusu wrote:

I keep hearing about this smart.fm app, but I can't find it anywhere! I can only find their TOIEC or podcast versions in Japanese. Or is this a local version only that I can't access in Canada? Or has it been pulled?

As a daily user of the computer versin of smart.fm, I purchased the smart.fm app when it first came out. It was not the TOEIC version. I never used it much (maybe once or twice), then it went to the back page where all the unused apps dwell. The app just didn't do it for me.

However, in response to your question, Arekkusu, I just tried it again. Every time I tried to start a goal, it crashed. I know I have the latest version because I update all apps every day, even those on the back page. When I looked on ITunes (USA version), I did not see the smart.fm app I own and the support link for the 3 apps that *were* there went to all-Japanese sites. Perhaps my version has been scrapped.

globus
Pentaglot
Germany
learnwithmusic.wordp
Joined 5401 days ago

28 posts - 35 votes
Speaks: German*, English, French, Dutch, Polish

Message 40 of 50
28 October 2010 at 7:48pm | IP Logged 
StudyArcade :)
It's free and you can connect it with your Anki vocabulary on your computer.

This discussion contains 50 messages over 7 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 46 7  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version