Groupie
Netherlands
Joined 4847 days ago

52 posts - 72 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, French
Studies: Spanish

Message 41 of 50
16 February 2011 at 3:38pm | IP Logged 
I just bought Anki from the app store, definitely worth it guys! Thanks for the recomondations here.
1 person has voted this message useful

theallstar
Groupie
United Kingdom
Joined 5591 days ago

81 posts - 85 votes 
Studies: Japanese, Esperanto

Message 42 of 50
09 March 2011 at 3:18pm | IP Logged 
How about apps for Farsi? I've seen quite a few on the app store but most don't seem to have been reviewed. I'm usually quite hesitant to download something if no one has left any feedback...

unzum
Diglot
United Kingdom
soyouwanttolearnalan
Joined 6703 days ago

371 posts - 478 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: Mandarin

Message 43 of 50
24 February 2012 at 6:16pm | IP Logged 
Thread resurrection! (hope no-one minds)

Here are some of the most useful iphone applications I've found.

Japanese Sensei
- Really helpful for increasing your vocabulary. It has around 10, 000 words with audio and example sentences (also with audio). The words are arranged according to frequency and split into lessons with 10 words.

There are several types of exercises to test yourself: multiple choice quiz, sentence test where you see the English translation and click on the words to put them in order), fill-in-the-gaps particle quiz, word match where you draw a line and match the English with the japanese and memory test where you flip over cards and match the reading/audio with the kanji/kana.

It uses the same source as smart.fm for the words but it includes a few thousand more than smart.fm.

It doesn't take a lot of time to do one lesson and I feel it's really useful for someone past the beginner stage who wants to improve their vocabulary. It also has a method of tagging cards which can then be reviewed by the tags. I use this for learning vocabulary from authentic material.

Japanese from codefromtokyo
- A good dictionary with more than 150, 000 words. It also has animated stroke order for 2, 800 kanji. When you look up a word you can see example sentences, conjugation and what kanji is used in the word. When you look up a kanji it lists the components/radicals, common compounds, similar kanji and references what books this kanji is listed in as well as the entry number.

It also has pre-made vocabulary lists arranged by subject (fashion, economics etc) and lexical category (onomatopoeia, proverbs, counters etc).

You can also make your own flashcards and test them in both directions.
I've found this invaluable for learning words from the Intermediate Kanji book (because it doesn't list the English translation). All you need to do to add a word is search for the japanese/english and then click on the relevant entry.
It's really fast and has really helped cut down the amount of time I spend making flashcards.

韓国語組み立てTOWN
- I haven't actually used this one myself but it sounds really good from the review I read. It's a Japanese app for learning Korean grammar.

Here's the review by mezbup (source)

Quote:
韓国語組み立てタウン is an AWESOME "game" for iPhone/ipad. It has 200 grammar points from the 入門 to 中級 level, each grammar point has 5 example sentences WITH AUDIO. making for 1000 sentences with audio, perfect for the complete beginner. The aim of the game is to build ur town by progressing through the game by answering all the questions right. You get given a Japanese sentence and then the words in Korean, it's then ur job to put the sentence together in the right order before the time runs out. It's highly addictive and u learn lots.

Luk
Triglot
Groupie
Argentina
Joined 5124 days ago

91 posts - 127 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, English, French
Studies: Italian, German, Mandarin, Greek

Message 44 of 50
02 April 2012 at 10:15pm | IP Logged 
I regularly use SpeedUp Player Pro as a Mp3 player.

SpeedUp Player features:
- Variable speed playback: 0.5X(half speed) - 2.5X (0.1X interval)
- Preserve pitch(tone) while changing playback speed.
- Play directly from your iPod collection. No conversion required. (supports music/podcasts/audiobooks)
- Full iOS4 multitasking support.
- Remote controller support.
- Sleep timer (pause after 10/20/30/60/120 minutes)
- A/B repeat : repeat interval using simple button press
a. set A
b. set B : repeat A-B
c. cancel repeat
- Configurable quick rewind/forward buttons. 4 buttons can be set individually.
- Extremely fast iPod library browsing (disk+memory based cache)
- Browse by album/artist/songs/playlists/podcasts
- Simple playlist
- Pause/resume on phone call(audio interruption).
- Pause when headphone is unplugged.
- Music tracks can be set to be played at 1X.

What I like the best: rewind/forward by slicing your finger.

Edited by Luk on 02 April 2012 at 10:20pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

Ari
Heptaglot
Norway
Joined 6371 days ago

2314 posts - 5695 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Mandarin, Cantonese
Studies: Czech, Latin, German

Message 45 of 50
03 April 2012 at 7:17am | IP Logged 
Luk wrote:

That sounds painful! The rest of the app sounds pretty great, though. Might give it a try. Thanks!

EDIT: My new favorite app is BrainScape, by the way. It's a flashcard app with SRS-like functionality, but it's different in that it never tells you to stop. You just keep going and going, alternating new cards with repeating old ones. This makes it better than Anki for intensive study bursts, but less useful for long-term retention. I find it great for things like drilling conjugations and high-frequency vocabulary. The app is free, but you have to pay to get the ready-made decks, with French, Spanish and German vocab and grammar. The vocab cards come with audio, though some of them have mismatched sound, which is annoying. The company has said they're aware of the problem and working on it, however.

Edited by Ari on 03 April 2012 at 7:21am

2 persons have voted this message useful

Bjorn
Diglot
Norway
Joined 4657 days ago

244 posts - 286 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, English
Studies: German, French

Message 46 of 50
03 April 2012 at 10:15am | IP Logged 

Timetag is a good app to keep track of time used on your languages.

Also available
Timetag Desktop Mac

Edited by Bjorn on 03 April 2012 at 10:18am

Splog
Diglot
Czech Republic
anthonylauder.c
Joined 5458 days ago

1062 posts - 3263 votes 
Speaks: English*, Czech
Studies: Mandarin

Message 47 of 50
03 April 2012 at 1:23pm | IP Logged 
Luk wrote:
I regularly use SpeedUp Player Pro as a Mp3 player.

SpeedUp Player features:
- Variable speed playback: 0.5X(half speed) - 2.5X (0.1X interval)
- Preserve pitch(tone) while changing playback speed.
- Play directly from your iPod collection. No conversion required. (supports music/podcasts/audiobooks)
- Full iOS4 multitasking support.
- Remote controller support.
- Sleep timer (pause after 10/20/30/60/120 minutes)
- A/B repeat : repeat interval using simple button press
a. set A
b. set B : repeat A-B
c. cancel repeat
- Configurable quick rewind/forward buttons. 4 buttons can be set individually.
- Extremely fast iPod library browsing (disk+memory based cache)
- Browse by album/artist/songs/playlists/podcasts
- Simple playlist
- Pause/resume on phone call(audio interruption).
- Pause when headphone is unplugged.
- Music tracks can be set to be played at 1X.

That app sounds very good. Unfortunately, it appears that it only works on iOS4 (at least according to the developer's website). If it worked with iOS5 I would certainly buy it.

Luk
Triglot
Groupie
Argentina
Joined 5124 days ago

91 posts - 127 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, English, French
Studies: Italian, German, Mandarin, Greek

Message 48 of 50
03 April 2012 at 5:56pm | IP Logged 
Ari wrote:
That sounds painful! The rest of the app sounds pretty great, though. Might give it a try. Thanks!

You can use the buttons to rewind or move forward (I edited the options so it would move 5s back and 10s forward). This way you can repeat a word/phrase easily. To me is much more comfortable to use my fingers instead of the buttons.

I'm not sure if the expression I used is correct: "slice your finger", is the same thing you do with the iPod/iPhone button.

--Edit--

Slide! I had always thought it was "slice", and I knew what "slice" means. Some days my brain just doesn't work in English ;-)

How do you say that then? "Slide with your finger"?

Edited by Luk on 03 April 2012 at 11:40pm

This discussion contains 50 messages over 7 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 57  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version