Triglot
United States
Joined 6469 days ago

823 posts - 987 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, French
Studies: Portuguese, Norwegian

Message 89 of 125
01 May 2009 at 3:43pm | IP Logged 
I've heard so many native speakers of English speak it so poorly that I am even impressed when a native speaks it "perfectly."
2 persons have voted this message useful

Juan M.
Colombia
Joined 5709 days ago

460 posts - 597 votes 

Message 90 of 125
01 May 2009 at 4:01pm | IP Logged 
For me, a genuine polyglot would have full mastery over the languages that he or she knows, even if they be comparatively few. A mediocre knowledge of many languages really accomplishes nothing.
1 person has voted this message useful

Volte
Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6249 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto, German, Italian
Studies: French, Finnish, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 91 of 125
01 May 2009 at 4:06pm | IP Logged 
JuanM wrote:
For me, a genuine polyglot would have full mastery over the languages that he or she knows, even if they be comparatively few. A mediocre knowledge of many languages really accomplishes nothing.

That really depends.

I have a mediocre knowledge of a fair number of languages, and I use it and benefit from it fairly often. If a newspaper article I want to read is in Spanish, I go ahead and read it; if a book I want to read is in French, I'll go ahead and read it. Nonetheless, I certainly can't speak either language - not even at an intermediate level, much less with full mastery.

For me, a mediocre knowledge is enough to accomplish some things. I have to agree with Kato Lomb on this one - "language is the only thing worth knowing badly".

Of course, it goes without saying that I'm not a polyglot - but who cares?

3 persons have voted this message useful

datsunking1
Diglot
United States
Joined 5395 days ago

1014 posts - 1533 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: German, Russian, Dutch, French

Message 92 of 125
21 August 2009 at 4:17am | IP Logged 
patuco wrote:
My "definition" of a polyglot:

A person who is fully functional (i.e. reading, writing, speaking and understanding) in more than two languages and is aware of regional variations, including colloqiallisms, idiomatic expressions, word-play and humour.

I completely agree.

in my humble opinion, fluency in a language is knowing idioms, slang, and other expressions, while being able to free express yourself and carry on a conversation with native skill.

If I'm going to learn a language, I won't settle for basic fluency, I would want to know it all.

Gilgamesh
Tetraglot
England
Joined 6052 days ago

452 posts - 468 votes 
14 sounds
Speaks: Dutch, English, German, French
Studies: Polish

Message 93 of 125
21 August 2009 at 11:07am | IP Logged 
My (current) personal ideal:

- Speaking the four languages that I already speak (see left) + Arabic and Greek to a very high level

- Meaning that I can speak, read, write and understand Arabic to a native-like level, with a good grasp of at least one dialect (Levantine)

- Meaning that I can do the same for Greek, preferably even including Ancient Greek and Katharevousa

I'm approaching basic fluency in Greek (it used to be my native language), I'm not nearly there with Arabic, but it's definitely very doable and I expect to be there before I'm 30 (I'm 24 now).

noriyuki_nomura
Bilingual Octoglot
Switzerland
Joined 5150 days ago

304 posts - 465 votes 
Speaks: English*, Mandarin*, Japanese, FrenchC2, GermanC2, ItalianC1, SpanishB2, DutchB1
Studies: TurkishA1, Korean

Message 94 of 125
29 April 2010 at 1:50pm | IP Logged 
Personally, my definition of an ideal polyglot is someone who can speak at least 5 languages fluent enough to allow him/her to actively participate in discussions with native speakers in a variety of subjects, such as culture, history, current affaires, economy, politics etc. related to the country that speaks the language.

I aim to master at least 8 languages - the 3 major East Asian languages (CJK) and 5 major European languages (EFGIS). After which, I would then like to explore the languages/cultures of Arabic/Persian-speaking countries, of Thailand (I was mesmorised by the way how Stuart Jay Raj speaks Thai, it sounds so natural and melodic to the ears!), Russia and an African country.

Edited by noriyuki_nomura on 29 April 2010 at 2:01pm

MäcØSŸ
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5619 days ago

259 posts - 392 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, EnglishC2
Studies: German

Message 95 of 125
29 April 2010 at 2:27pm | IP Logged 
Juan M. wrote:
For me, a genuine polyglot would have full mastery over the languages that he or she knows,
even if they be comparatively few. A mediocre knowledge of many languages really accomplishes nothing.

I think that for a linguist it’s more useful to have a general knowledge of 30 languages instead of a perfect mastery
of 5, since the difference is mainly made by vocabulary. Maybe it’s not enough to be a polyglot, but certainly dosn’t
accomplish “nothing”.

Edited by MäcØSŸ on 29 April 2010 at 2:28pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

obara
India
subramanian-obula.blRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5776 days ago

21 posts - 22 votes
Studies: Gujarati

Message 96 of 125
29 April 2010 at 2:50pm | IP Logged 
For a Linguist who is to master the IPA symbols representing so many sounds available in several languages of the world, he should have at least a rudimentary knowledge of those languages in which that particular sound occurs for which IPA symbol is provided.

I do not know how many languages one must peruse to be familiar with all the symbols
of International Phonetic Alphabet [IPA].

Let some knowledgeable person spell the number of languages one is to experience the modicum of the language.

This discussion contains 125 messages over 16 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version