Diglot
Taiwan
Joined 6021 days ago

121 posts - 126 votes 
Speaks: English*, Mandarin
Studies: Taiwanese, French

Message 57 of 125
17 January 2008 at 3:41am | IP Logged 
My personal goal is to speak 6 languages in addition to my native English; 3 asian and 3 european. I would say that a polyglot is someone who has learned at least 4 languages to advanced fluency, with at least one of these to native equivalent fluency and functionality. I don't think it's required to have a native accent. (although I am proud of my near-native accent in Mandarin) It suffices to speak correctly. I don't mind talking to people in English who have a strong accent, as long as it's comprehensible. I actually think many accents are very charming.I think that fluency is more important than accent.

Edited by alfajuj on 17 January 2008 at 3:46am

1 person has voted this message useful

portunhol
Triglot
United States
thelinguistblogger.w
Joined 6062 days ago

198 posts - 299 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: German, Arabic (classical)

Message 58 of 125
17 January 2008 at 1:03pm | IP Logged 
Who is the ideal polyglot? There are two factors for me: quantity and quality. If you have a noticeable accent and a somewhat limited vocabulary (1,000-2,000 words) but are very functional in 15 languages, other than your native tongue, then my hat’s off to you. On the other hand, if you can speak three or four languages with virtually no accent, then I’m also very impressed.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Tashiko
Diglot
Russian Federation
Joined 5941 days ago

8 posts - 7 votes
Speaks: Russian*, EnglishB2
Studies: Italian, Spanish, Norwegian

Message 59 of 125
18 April 2008 at 6:12am | IP Logged 
As for me I don't think that accent is something very requireable for being polyglot. When I speak English most of my opponents count me as American. Even most of Americans =0) But when I start to write.... I hardly can pretend even to be a someone with intermediate English... The only reason is my selfstudy method =0)I was so into "good american pronunciation" (to be honest I'm so irritated with proper british English =0P) and absolutely forgot about spelling =0) Though grammar wasn't my first priority as well =0) (but it's the same story with grammar in my native language as well, though I speak correct) Therefore I think true polyglot should speak, read and write more or less correct and knowledge should be more or less equal. That's why I think I'll never be an ideal polyglot myself... I always pay way more attention to an oral language than to written one. =0P

Edited by Tashiko on 18 April 2008 at 6:14am

Bojan
Bilingual Pentaglot
Germany
Joined 6034 days ago

35 posts - 35 votes
Speaks: Croatian, Serbian, Slovenian*, German*, English

Message 60 of 125
18 April 2008 at 7:46am | IP Logged 
My expression is, that a polyglot is an human who speak, understand and is able to think in more then 5 languages. But to be honest, this person should not get arrogant.

showtime17
Trilingual Hexaglot
Slovakia
gainweightjournal.co
Joined 5894 days ago

154 posts - 210 votes 
Speaks: Russian, English*, Czech*, Slovak*, French, Spanish
Studies: Ukrainian, Polish, Dutch

Message 61 of 125
07 May 2008 at 4:02pm | IP Logged 
Well I want to be able to be fluent in the languages I have currently listed as "learning" and start Arabic and get as far as possible with it. Then of course I would like to get at least conversational in the languages I have on my "hit list".

showtime17
Trilingual Hexaglot
Slovakia
gainweightjournal.co
Joined 5894 days ago

154 posts - 210 votes 

Message 62 of 125
08 May 2008 at 8:51am | IP Logged 
Oh yeah I forgot to add, improve my Russian reading and writing skills, because my spoken Russian is fluent, however my reading and writing skills are horrible. Also I have to work a bit harder on memorizing the French conditional and subjunctive verb conjugations.

brozman
Bilingual Tetraglot
Groupie
Spain
Joined 5866 days ago

87 posts - 106 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, Catalan*, English, Japanese
Studies: Russian, Indonesian

Message 63 of 125
11 May 2008 at 8:10am | IP Logged 
I believe that what really is important to be a real polyglot is just the fact that you must be fluent in 4 or more foreign languages. Having a native accent is not so relevant. Why? Well, I speak Spanish with a Catalan accent, and Catalan with a Spanish accent, and both are my mother tongues... I can't definetely expect myself to speak English like a British or an American.

Edited by brozman on 11 May 2008 at 9:51am

showtime17
Trilingual Hexaglot
Slovakia
gainweightjournal.co
Joined 5894 days ago

154 posts - 210 votes 

Message 64 of 125
11 May 2008 at 1:54pm | IP Logged 
I don't know, but for me having a native like accent in the languages I speak is one of the goals. I really have to work hard to improve my French accent.

This discussion contains 125 messages over 16 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 79 10 11 12 13 14 15 16  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version