United States
tristan85.blogspot.c
Joined 6678 days ago

946 posts - 1110 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, German
Studies: Sign Language

Message 49 of 125
24 May 2007 at 6:02pm | IP Logged 
Right Iversen, I think then we are on the same page. :-) For me, I don't need to really find a "stopping point" in a language, but rather a point where I feel comfortable enough to move onto another one.

Japkorengchi, you also bring up a good point. An ideal I admire is when people are not overly boastful and arrogant, at least in the sense where they have to show off. However, I think that an amount of pride is helpful and healthy, as long as it isn't a stepping-on-others-to-feel-good type of pride. I'm proud of the work I've put into German and Spanish, but I have a long ways yet to go, and I'll be the first to admit it.
1 person has voted this message useful

reineke
United States
https://learnalangua
Joined 6257 days ago

851 posts - 1008 votes 
Studies: German

Message 50 of 125
07 July 2007 at 1:34pm | IP Logged 
A lovely question, let's bump up the thread a bit. My personal ideal?

Sir Richard Francis Burton. Explorer, writer, translator and linguist.

What use of all this polyglottery to humanity if all you do is flaunt your near-perfect accent? Mr. Burton's gift was not wasted. Please do remember we're discussing ideals here :) When it comes to a perfect accent I consider it very desireable but not indispensable, not even for the ideal polyglot. I do consider Conrad's gift at writing in a foreign language more valuable and a near-perfect accomplishment than someone's accent. It's a pretty thing for sure, but rather vacuous and something that will ultimately die with the person. If you were to sing in a foreign language, and share your gift with the world, then I'll allow it :)

Let's try bumping Burton's thread as well. The old man deserves it :)
2 persons have voted this message useful

Aritaurus
Tetraglot
Canada
Joined 6384 days ago

197 posts - 204 votes 
Speaks: Cantonese, English*, Japanese, Mandarin
Studies: Spanish

Message 51 of 125
09 July 2007 at 11:08am | IP Logged 
Captain Haddock wrote:
I think that the only way to acheive native fluency in any language
would be to be totally surrounded in that language from birth.

They are rare, but I've met people who spoke second and third languages,
acquired in adulthood, better than native speakers. It takes work and a
commitment to perfection, among other things.

but in how many languages can this be achieved in? Two, three, four?

If you're talking about children, it depends a lot on the child. Some
children take easily to being raised in several linguistic environments;
some refuse to speak anything other than one language. The worst is
immigrant parents who try not to speak their own language at home, and
the children end up with no native language at all (just a pidgin).

I can second that. I've met a German guy who grew up in Germany but spent the most of his teenage years in Japan. Surprisingly, he fooled me by being able to speak English like an American. He told me that he hung around many American expatriates so the accent eventually caught on to him. He also neglected his father's accent and was determined never to speak with a German accent. If you heard him speak, you'll think he's a native English speaker from the USA. It's definately is possible to find people who learn a second or third language and speak it like a native.

As for people who have no native language at all, I know a Chinese person born and raised in Canada like me but he has a non-native accent for English and attended ESL (English second language) even in high school. He does have a native accent in Cantonese but he cannot read or write and doesn't have a strong vocabulary. I still think this is extremely rare.   

Back to the polyglot discussion, my expectations are not very demanding. As long you're able hold a conversation with a native speaker in three or more different languages, you're a polyglot in my eyes. I still think an accent is a reflection of who you really are and shows your character. If you don't sound like a broken record to native speakers, I honestly don't see a problem with having a foreign accent.

Edited by Aritaurus on 09 July 2007 at 11:27am

el topo
Diglot
Groupie
Belgium
Joined 6570 days ago

66 posts - 71 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, English
Studies: Dutch

Message 52 of 125
18 July 2007 at 4:38am | IP Logged 
For me you are a polyglot if you are fluent in 4+ languages. By fluent I mean that you can manage yourself in most situations: converse with native speakers, watch TV, read books and newspapers, write an official letter, etc. Passing for a native speaker is not absolutely necessary. I have nothing against an accent, if it's not very heavy. If the language has a very complicated grammar (e.g. a lot of cases), I would tolerate minor mistakes in this department too.

vientito
Canada
Joined 6148 days ago

212 posts - 281 votes 

Message 53 of 125
19 July 2007 at 12:22pm | IP Logged 
i will never agree that a person is a true polyglot until he or she steps outside of a particular language group and get in touch with a language so radically different from all the languages that they have learned so far.

A person who's fluent in Russian ,Tibetan and Italian would be far more accomplished than one who knows French, English and Spanish.

I believe learning a language is very hard but learning a language that has little share in vocabulary and cultural aspects is even harder.
2 persons have voted this message useful

sergiu
Diglot
Romania
freewebs.com/invata_
Joined 6249 days ago

105 posts - 108 votes 
Speaks: Romanian*, English
Studies: German

Message 54 of 125
19 July 2007 at 11:56pm | IP Logged 
As long as you can speak with a person in natural speed ,without having to think the words out in any 3+ languages
regardless of the language group they are in,and with a complete understanding of what he has to say,you can be considered a true polyglot.

Lemus
Diglot
United States
Joined 6191 days ago

232 posts - 266 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Japanese, Russian, German

Message 55 of 125
20 July 2007 at 9:13am | IP Logged 
I agree with vientito. As much respect as I would have for someone who speaks French, Italian, Spanish, and Portugese, I would value someone who spoke French, Italian, and Arabic alot more. The hard language has to be learned, not one you grow up with.

Journeyer
Triglot
United States
tristan85.blogspot.c
Joined 6678 days ago

946 posts - 1110 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, German
Studies: Sign Language

Message 56 of 125
20 July 2007 at 1:53pm | IP Logged 
I disagree that language families or whether or not the individual grew up with several native languages determines who is a polyglot.

For me, a person who dominates a few languages (in my opinion, more than four languages, although that is more of a reflection of my own standards for myself) in the Romance language family, or the Germanic, or Slavic, or whatever, counts as a polyglot. I don't care if the person learned them all as second languages, or grew up in a multilingual environment. Like I've said before, being a polyglot (in my opinion) is a description of the person, not a reward earned by the person; it's similar to being an athlete or musician.

It's not a question of how much the person has worked to learn French and Arabic and Chinese, I don't think. I don't want to go into degrees of "who's the best polyglot and by how much" because certainly some people have more aptitude than others, but to me that's not the point. Two people: one who plays just baseball, and one who does the decathalon, they are both still athletes.

Edited by Journeyer on 20 July 2007 at 1:55pm

This discussion contains 125 messages over 16 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 68 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version