Hong Kong
Joined 6152 days ago

346 posts - 431 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: French*, English
Studies: Mandarin, Cantonese, Shanghainese, German

Message 65 of 125
11 May 2008 at 2:55pm | IP Logged 
Many people in Hong Kong speak Cantonese, Mandarin and English flawlessly. If you include Filipinos/Thai/Pakistani second generation immigrants that speak their language at home, that's 4+ languages.
1 person has voted this message useful

darkwhispersdal
Wales
Joined 5850 days ago

294 posts - 363 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Ancient Greek, French, Italian, Spanish, Russian, Mandarin, Japanese, Latin

Message 66 of 125
15 May 2008 at 10:26am | IP Logged 
My personal polyglot ideal is based on a friend of mine. Icluding her native language she currently speaks four languages which are Russian (Native), English, Spanish and French. She thinks in both Russian and English and is very fluent in Spanish and French. Last time I spoke to her she was thinking of taking on Italian.

showtime17
Trilingual Hexaglot
Slovakia
gainweightjournal.co
Joined 5894 days ago

154 posts - 210 votes 
Speaks: Russian, English*, Czech*, Slovak*, French, Spanish
Studies: Ukrainian, Polish, Dutch

Message 67 of 125
15 May 2008 at 2:05pm | IP Logged 
darkwhispersdal wrote:
My personal polyglot ideal is based on a friend of mine. Icluding her native language she currently speaks four languages which are Russian (Native), English, Spanish and French. She thinks in both Russian and English and is very fluent in Spanish and French. Last time I spoke to her she was thinking of taking on Italian.

Interesting how polyglot ideals differ according to experiences. For me, that type of a profile, while still a polyglot, would not be sufficient, because I know too many people who fit that criteria and me personally I want to learn more. I actually see speaking that many languages as "average", but that is because I know too many people who speak like 3, 4 or 5 languages fluently.

darkwhispersdal
Wales
Joined 5850 days ago

294 posts - 363 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Ancient Greek, French, Italian, Spanish, Russian, Mandarin, Japanese, Latin

Message 68 of 125
15 May 2008 at 5:04pm | IP Logged 
showtime17 wrote:

Interesting how polyglot ideals differ according to experiences. For me, that type of a profile, while still a polyglot, would not be sufficient, because I know too many people who fit that criteria and me personally I want to learn more. I actually see speaking that many languages as "average", but that is because I know too many people who speak like 3, 4 or 5 languages fluently.

The majority of people I know can only speak English there are very few people I know who can speak basic Welsh nevermind any other languages.

taKen
Tetraglot
Norway
mindofthelinguist.woRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5927 days ago

176 posts - 210 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, English, Dutch, French
Studies: German, Icelandic

Message 69 of 125
19 May 2008 at 2:52am | IP Logged 
The polyglot ideal for me would be to be at an advanced level of fluency in at least one language from each major family of languages. Moreover one would have to know the languages with the most speakers, such as Chinese Mandarin, Spanish, English, French and so on. In my eyes I'd only be succesful when I'd be at the same level in all of them, that is to be flexible in all of them. Currently I'm learning Dutch, and I'd love to be at the same level in this one as in my Norwegian and English.

El Forastero
Pentaglot
Colombia
alijunakai.blogspot.Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6079 days ago

186 posts - 228 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, Portuguese, FrenchB1, EnglishC1, Italian
Studies: German

Message 70 of 125
19 May 2008 at 11:49am | IP Logged 
I know some indigenous people in my country that speaks fluently four or five languages, I can consider them as Polyglotes even though they can't write or read them (Oral traditional languages)

I prefere to speak six languages in 80% proficency that three languages in 99%. I think my standars are less rigurous than the yours

Chung
Diglot
Joined 6966 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Polish, Slovak, Uzbek, Turkish, Korean, Finnish

Message 71 of 125
21 May 2008 at 9:53am | IP Logged 
My ideal polyglot would be someone who can speak at least 4 languages including his/her native language. The level of competency in the foreign languages would be B2 as a minimum. Lastly, the consideration of being a polyglot would apply to someone who speaks different languages (in a communicative sense - NOT a symbolic or sociolinguistic sense) E.g. I could never claim "polyglottery" from English, Danish, Norwegian and Swedish or English, Bosnian, Croatian, Montenegrin and Serbian. Instances such as Hindi and Urdu, Farsi and Dari, Malay and Indonesian or Azeri and Turkish could also be quite fuzzy and difficult to place.

patuco
Diglot
Gibraltar
Joined 6825 days ago

3795 posts - 4268 votes 
Speaks: Spanish, English*
Personal Language Map

Message 72 of 125
21 May 2008 at 4:01pm | IP Logged 
El Forastero wrote:
I prefere to speak six languages in 80% proficency that three languages in 99%.

Me too.

El Forastero wrote:
I think my standars are less rigurous than the yours

Not necessarily, just different.

This discussion contains 125 messages over 16 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 810 11 12 13 14 15 16  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version