Joined 5354 days ago

2210 posts - 3734 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Russian
Studies: Hawaiian, French, Toki Pona

Message 1 of 54
19 July 2010 at 4:39pm | IP Logged 
"Rushing Russian", Introduction
(Ни пуха, ни пера!)

My holiday period is over, and the next challenge is already here! I've been invited to a wedding over in Russia (in fact, it's my girlfriend's best friend), and it's all very spur-of-the-moment and therefore short notice. I'm applying for a visa right now, and if this goes through in time, I hope to be in St Petersburg in just over 3 weeks. As I couldn't speak Russian at all when I visited last year, I really want to impress my girlfriend's folks and friends this time round, ideally reaching a good conversational level in the B2 range. But is this possible in just 3 weeks with a level 3 language whilst also holding down part-time work? Sounds crazy, I guess.

Well...I think I have a rusty low A2 level in Russian so far, which is probably (even as I type) already slowly sinking into the boggy mires of A1 from lack of use. However, it's a start. I can also practice a bit of Russian before the trip at home with my girlfriend (once I reach B1 level), although this will be limited as she's pretty busy at the moment during workdays and has to work hard towards a PhD every evening too. Add to this the fact that nearly everyone I'll meet won't be able to speak any English at all, and as I found out last year, Russians are generally not used to slowing down or simplifying their speech for foreigners either - especially lovely 88-year-old babushka. ;)

So it's a real challenge, that's for sure, and I hope to find out just how far I can progress in such a short time in this brief daily log that I've appropriately labeled "Rushing Russian".

My only methodology throughout will be "study-and-click" (S&C), which was originally inspired by siomotteikiru's L-R (Listening-Reading) system alongside recent studies in interval training and motivation. I've also improved upon my systematic layout, and integrated extensive and active components since I last used it to learn Spanish. So this should hopefully prove a good flash test of the study-and-click approach with a challenging language given a short time-scale.

Here are the resources I've gathered so far and aim to use over the next few weeks...

Intensive L&R (listening and reading):
- Princeton Russian SLA101 and SLA105 (parallel dialogues, audio)
- Bulgakov, "Master i Margarita" (parallel text, audiobook)

Extensive L&R:
- Princeton Russian SLA105 (parallel dialogues, audio)
- Bulgakov, "Master i Margarita" (parallel text, audio)

Other resources:
- Luk'yanenko, "Sumerechnyj dozor" (Russian text)
- iTunes, Google Translate

[edit: something important came up on Tuesday, so I've re-scheduled the start for the following day, Wednesday 21st July]

Edited by Teango on 01 January 2011 at 10:43pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Teango
Triglot
Winner TAC 2010 & 2012
United States
teango.wordpress.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5354 days ago

2210 posts - 3734 votes 

Message 2 of 54
21 July 2010 at 11:52pm | IP Logged 
"Rushing Russian", Day 1
(Ни пуха, ни пера!)

Study-and-click: 3 hours (3 total)
Other active study: 1 hour (1 total)
Background music: 2.5 hours (2.5 total)

New passive words: 177 words (177 total)
Yesterday's initial reading score: 50% ("Сумеречный дозор", Пролог, 300 word sample)
Today's reading score: 80% (+30%, Глава 1, 100 words)

What I learnt today: Just put one foot in front of the other, and keep on going. Let go of what you can't do or don't understand in the initial stages, and trust in yourself.

Edited by Teango on 29 November 2010 at 10:11am

2 persons have voted this message useful

TixhiiDon
Tetraglot
Japan
Joined 5262 days ago

772 posts - 1474 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese, German, Russian
Studies: Georgian

Message 3 of 54
22 July 2010 at 12:24am | IP Logged 
This is a great challenge Teango, and I'll be watching with interest as well as harboring
intense feelings of jealousy that you get to go to a Summer wedding in St. Petersburg!

Teango
Triglot
Winner TAC 2010 & 2012
United States
Joined 5354 days ago

2210 posts - 3734 votes 

Message 4 of 54
22 July 2010 at 12:32pm | IP Logged 
Thanks TixhiiDon, I have far fewer hours outside of work this time round, but I still hope to put in the time and make enough progress to impress Babushka at least.

Your posts in Georgian are always a jealous joy to the eye too, by the way, and make me want to start learning this fascinating and beautifully scripted language every time. Must resist for now... ;)

Edited by Teango on 22 July 2010 at 12:38pm

Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
learnlangs.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6268 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Esperanto, Greek, Mandarin, Latin, Dutch, Italian
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swahili, Indonesian, Japanese, Modern Hebrew, Portuguese

Message 5 of 54
22 July 2010 at 3:38pm | IP Logged 
Can you point me to an explanation of this method?

Teango
Triglot
Winner TAC 2010 & 2012
United States
Joined 5354 days ago

2210 posts - 3734 votes 

Message 6 of 54
22 July 2010 at 4:38pm | IP Logged 
Sprachprofi wrote:
Can you point me to an explanation of this method?

I've written about my initial experimentation with study-and-click in the threads "Fighting Windmills" and "Question about the L-R method" to some extent, but to be honest, I learnt so much whilst using it to learn Spanish recently that it's undergone plenty of humble improvements and become what I hope will prove to be a much more efficient integrated system.

I'd be delighted to give you the lowdown on the improved methodology of course at the conclusion of these next few weeks, as I don't want to jump the gun just yet and recommend something until it's tried and tested a little more. It'll be interesting to see how it all turns out with a challenge like Russian, especially given only 3 weeks and having to do 75% contract work at the same time. Who knows, it may not even work at all? I'm hoping for the best though, and I guess the end results will be the best judge of this... ;)

Edited by Teango on 22 July 2010 at 4:46pm

Teango
Triglot
Winner TAC 2010 & 2012
United States
Joined 5354 days ago

2210 posts - 3734 votes 

Message 7 of 54
22 July 2010 at 11:38pm | IP Logged 
"Rushing Russian", Day 2
(Ни пуха, ни пера!)

Study-and-click: 2 hours (5 total)
Other active study: 2 hours (3 total)
Background music: 0.5 hours (3 total)

New passive words: 119 (296 total)
Today's reading score: 71% (-9%, Глава 2, 100 words)

What I learnt today: Stop theorising and worrying about failure; take a long deep breath...and just do it. You need to make mistakes in order to learn from them and understand success.

Teango
Triglot
Winner TAC 2010 & 2012
United States
Joined 5354 days ago

2210 posts - 3734 votes 

Message 8 of 54
23 July 2010 at 10:27pm | IP Logged 
"Rushing Russian", Day 3
(Ни пуха, ни пера!)

Study-and-click: 2 hours (7 total)
Other active study: 1 hour (4 total)
Background music: 0.5 hours (3.5 total)

New passive words: 117 (413 total)
Today's reading score: 80% (+9%, Глава 3, 100 words)

What I learnt today: How to demystify "verbal aspects", thanks to my girlfriend and the excellent video on this subject by Splog...

Imperfective aspect = stopped or present tense action
Perfective aspect = finished action (never present tense, assume future tense unless otherwise indicated as past)

This discussion contains 54 messages over 7 pages: 2 3 4 5 6 7  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version