Canada
languagefixatio
Joined 5784 days ago

533 posts - 1245 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Spanish, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Hindi, Swedish, Portuguese

Message 49 of 54
09 December 2010 at 9:15pm | IP Logged 
Insertions and deletions are ok with hunalign....you just get a big blank spot where nothing corresponds in the other text, but that's unavoidable. The problem is where the sentence order changes, which is hard for any aligner to handle. I'm not precisely sure if word order matters, since I think it might be creating its dictionary out of correlated words...like both word A in L1 and B in L2 show up in matching sentences often...and then this guess is used in a second-pass realignment. Probably worth a shot with russian.

It definitely won't work with something like chinese though, because it depends on having words separated by spaces, which is notoriously annoying in attempts to deal programmatically with chinese.

Edited by doviende on 09 December 2010 at 9:15pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Teango
Triglot
Winner TAC 2010 & 2012
United States
teango.wordpress.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5354 days ago

2210 posts - 3734 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Russian
Studies: Hawaiian, French, Toki Pona

Message 50 of 54
15 December 2010 at 1:14pm | IP Logged 
[Temporary message removed...please ignore. Thanks, Teango.]

Edited by Teango on 16 December 2010 at 1:27pm

magister
Pro Member
United States
Joined 6401 days ago

346 posts - 421 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Turkish, Irish
Personal Language Map

Message 51 of 54
15 December 2010 at 5:32pm | IP Logged 
"Lizok's Bookshelf: Reading ideas from Russian classic and contemporary fiction" is a blog I'd like to recommend to anyone interested in reading about and discussing Russian literature in general. A post specifically tailored to learners who want to make a foray into unadapted, original literature can be found here: Russian fiction for non-native readers.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Teango
Triglot
Winner TAC 2010 & 2012
United States
Joined 5354 days ago

2210 posts - 3734 votes 

Message 52 of 54
15 December 2010 at 5:50pm | IP Logged 
@magister
Excellent tips and recommendations in these links (I've put them to the top of my bookmarks) - bol'shoe spasibo! :)

Edited by Teango on 15 December 2010 at 6:09pm

Teango
Triglot
Winner TAC 2010 & 2012
United States
Joined 5354 days ago

2210 posts - 3734 votes 

Message 53 of 54
15 December 2010 at 7:02pm | IP Logged 
@Doviende, TixhiiDon
I tried to use hunalign to align the Russian and English texts for Zamyatin's "We" and it was initially miles off. Then I wrote a quick script to do some intial pre-processing and to build and include a custom dictionary file out of all of the unique words contained in the Russian file (with translations supplied by Google Translate), and the end result: it worked like a charm! It'll still need checking through and tidying up a bit of course, but the app really helps cut down the overall time. Thanks again for the link to the app Doviende, and cheers TixhiiDon for suggesting the novel (the language already looks much more approachable). :)

Edited by Teango on 15 December 2010 at 7:34pm

Teango
Triglot
Winner TAC 2010 & 2012
United States
Joined 5354 days ago

2210 posts - 3734 votes 

Message 54 of 54
04 January 2011 at 2:43pm | IP Logged 
The initial idea behind "rushing" Russian last summer has long since passed, and despite best intentions to "reload" later on in 2010, it just wasn't possible to carry this off due to illness and moving between countries.

But like a friendly Casper, the original thread's spirit and goodwill lives on to see a promising new dawn. And in order to brush out the cobwebs (and ectoplasm) of last year and make a clean start of it in 2011, I've repossessed the bare bones of the idea and given it an ambitious twist in my new Russian reading project called "Nu, pogodi!" (which means "Well, just you wait!"). :)

Edited by Teango on 04 January 2011 at 2:44pm

This discussion contains 54 messages over 7 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version