United States
teango.wordpress.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5354 days ago

2210 posts - 3734 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Russian
Studies: Hawaiian, French, Toki Pona

Message 33 of 54
30 November 2010 at 10:33pm | IP Logged 
My cunning plan of getting a good night's rest was somewhat sabotaged by a security alarm in the apartment block going off all night, leaving me utterly exhausted today.

As getting enough sleep beforehand is vital (and I just feel a bit zombified right now), I'm going to commence my studies tomorrow instead.

On a more amusing note, I ended up in an interesting situation when a Polish cleaner turned up in the early hours of the morning to clean the flat. She was mistakenly told I was moving out today by the letting company, and I was trying to explain that I'd paid up until Sunday.

At first I explained in English, but she didn't really speak or understand the language. Then I tried Russian and German (thinking that she might have studied these sometime in school) - no luck there either. So in the end, I just resorted to sign language and fingers-days, with the odd Russian word thrown in with a German accent (hoping it might be similar enough to Polish to get away with)...and success! :) It did get me wanderlusting again, however, and wishing I knew more than a few words of Polish.

Edited by Teango on 30 November 2010 at 10:34pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Teango
Triglot
Winner TAC 2010 & 2012
United States
Joined 5354 days ago

2210 posts - 3734 votes 

Message 34 of 54
01 December 2010 at 2:39am | IP Logged 
Spasibo, Medialis! I think having so few daylight hours this time of the year probably has something to do with these crazy sleeping patterns...it just makes me want to curl up with kanji and hibernate. :)

Quick note: Just as I was typing this (and about ready and relaxed enough to go to bed), I saw something out of the corner of my eye. A mouse! I couldn't believe it!! I opened the backdoor to let him out and chased Speedy Gonzales behind the sofa, but then I took my eyes off him for a second to grab a broom, and during this brief moment he took the opportunity to vanish like a little brown furry Pimpernel.

I guess it must be the combination of all the snow outside and this new flat being literally 50 yards from a major London railway station...ah yes, now I come to think of it, that might also have something to do with my lack of forty winks recently (lol).

So last night it was alarms, now it's rampaging rodents, whatever next I wonder? (maybe I shouldn't ask that question) I'm so glad I'm moving out of here soon - maybe then I'll finally get some quality sleep...

Edited by Teango on 01 December 2010 at 8:28am

Teango
Triglot
Winner TAC 2010 & 2012
United States
Joined 5354 days ago

2210 posts - 3734 votes 

Message 35 of 54
01 December 2010 at 11:37pm | IP Logged 
Yet another crazy day! I had exterminators and workmen around the flat this morning, whilst the afternoon was spent trying to finalise the handover and organise moving in next week instead now (these things have a habit of always turning out to be far more complicated than they need be). So fingers crossed for commencing Russian studies tomorrow, no matter what! I'm feeling very determined to make that positive start. >.<

Edited by Teango on 02 December 2010 at 12:09am

Teango
Triglot
Winner TAC 2010 & 2012
United States
Joined 5354 days ago

2210 posts - 3734 votes 

Message 36 of 54
03 December 2010 at 3:04am | IP Logged 
"Russian Reloaded", Day 8
(Ни пуха, ни пера!)

Study-and-click: 4 hours (24 total)
New passive words: 103 (1258 total)
Today's reading score: 71% (-7%, "Ночной дозор", Глава 1, 100 words)

Dog-tired and with scampering train-mice loose in the floorboards, I finally made a start back in my Russian studies this evening. This wasn't really helped by the electrics in the building going down either, leading me to light some candles on the desk to cheer up proceedings in my otherwise dim-lit den.

Consequently, I feel like a modern-day Bob Cratchit today, scratching away in my logbook with ink and quill in the flickering corner. No doubt, an impressive pair of "Mutton Chops" and a felt top hat would really have helped complete this festive Dickensian picture!

As for progress...it's very slow, and I'm finding Master and Margarita extremely tough so far. I just think I'm way out of my league at this early stage. It reminds me of when I first tried to read Thomas Mann in German and found in downright painful, so I might try and look this morning for something easier to tackle first.

Edited by Teango on 03 December 2010 at 3:06am

Teango
Triglot
Winner TAC 2010 & 2012
United States
Joined 5354 days ago

2210 posts - 3734 votes 

Message 39 of 54
08 December 2010 at 8:34am | IP Logged 
@Kuikentje
Thanks. Unfortunately I've still got the tinnitus and it looks like it's here for good. On a positive note though, I've learned to deal with it much better and not focus on it so much any more (it's been hard though). :)

TixhiiDon
Tetraglot
Japan
Joined 5262 days ago

772 posts - 1474 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese, German, Russian
Studies: Georgian

Message 40 of 54
08 December 2010 at 9:15am | IP Logged 
Teango wrote:
As for progress...it's very slow, and I'm finding Master and Margarita extremely tough so far. I just think I'm way out of my league at this early stage. It reminds me of when I first tried to read Thomas Mann in German and found in downright painful, so I might try and look this morning for something easier to tackle first.

Oh, Master and Margarita is seriously difficult. Not to put a downer on your studies, but I would really suggest you try something a bit more straightforward. One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich isn't too bad, just off the top of my head, and there are two works I bang on about quite frequently on this site to anyone who will listen, which are Nedelya kak Nedelya by Baranskaya and Moskovskie Povesti by Trifonov. Both brilliant and not difficult at all (try The Exchange from the Trifonov collection to start with). Even Anna Karenina will seem like a breeze after M&M.

This discussion contains 54 messages over 7 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 46 7  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version