45 messages over 6 pages: 13 4 5 6  Next >>
liddytime
Pentaglot
United States
mainlymagyar.wordpre
Joined 6028 days ago

693 posts - 1328 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Italian, Portuguese, Galician
Studies: Hungarian, Vietnamese, Modern Hebrew, Norwegian, Persian, Arabic (Written)

Message 9 of 45
25 July 2010 at 2:22am | IP Logged 
hobbitofny wrote:
"The product will be more expensive than current products, include new services and have a
bigger online component." 126324720.html?x=0&.v=1"> http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Rosetta-Stone-shares-tumble-ap f-
126324720.html?x=0&.v=1

Wow, even more expensive!!!!

That is absolutely disgusting! What a joke!
1 person has voted this message useful

michaelmichael
Canada
Joined 5056 days ago

167 posts - 202 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French

Message 10 of 45
25 July 2010 at 10:28pm | IP Logged 
budonoseito wrote:
There Totale course is on sale for $999.

TOTALe™ is a comprehensive online language-learning solution. Speak, read, listen and
write with Rosetta Course™, participate in guided sessions with a native-speaking Coach
in Rosetta Studio™, and practice your skills in our online community, Rosetta World™.

Maybe that will come down now. They should move the decimal over a few places.

I know bashing Rosetta stone is the cool thing to do on these forums but that language studio stuff where they have a native teaching you the language is going to be expensive. I know my summer school teacher charges 40$ an hour for private lessons (i took the class) , it's is also over 200$ to take a language class for 40 hours (at cegep level, at mcgill university it's 1500$). It is also suppose to be for a year, so if they allow you to schedule as much studio practice as you want, i would say it's not a bad price. I think we all agree that self learning language programs are over priced, but having live instructors changes everything

Edited by michaelmichael on 25 July 2010 at 10:30pm

flydream777
Triglot
United States
Joined 6290 days ago

77 posts - 102 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, French
Studies: German, Russian, Portuguese, Mandarin, Greek, Hungarian, Armenian, Irish, Italian

Message 11 of 45
26 July 2010 at 2:01am | IP Logged 
michaelmichael wrote:
I know bashing Rosetta stone is the cool thing to do on these forums but that language studio stuff where they have a native teaching you the language is going to be expensive. I know my summer school teacher charges 40$ an hour for private lessons (i took the class) , it's is also over 200$ to take a language class for 40 hours (at cegep level, at mcgill university it's 1500$). It is also suppose to be for a year, so if they allow you to schedule as much studio practice as you want, i would say it's not a bad price. I think we all agree that self learning language programs are over priced, but having live instructors changes everything

People have outlined very specific reasons on these forums why they "bash" Rosetta Stone. I am not 7 years old anymore (and I don't think they are either), and we don't do something just because it's "cool." The Rosetta Stone website says the online component is "guided online sessions with live coaches." This, to me, is not suggestive of personalized, individually-tailored instruction

johntm93
United States
Joined 5126 days ago

587 posts - 746 votes 
2 sounds
Studies: German, Spanish

Message 12 of 45
26 July 2010 at 2:43am | IP Logged 
Sweet, now people can waste more money to not learn a language.

michaelmichael
Canada
Joined 5056 days ago

167 posts - 202 votes 

Message 13 of 45
26 July 2010 at 2:50am | IP Logged 
flydream777 wrote:
michaelmichael wrote:

People have outlined very specific reasons on these forums why they "bash" Rosetta Stone. I am not 7 years old anymore (and I don't think they are either), and we don't do something just because it's "cool." The Rosetta Stone website says the online component is "guided online sessions with live coaches." This, to me, is not suggestive of personalized, individually-tailored instruction

Let my clarify; by cool, i mean popular (i could not have possibly anticipated that cool would have such a loaded terministic screen for you, that you would associated it with the mind of a vacant child. I am sorry for offending you, not my intent, just figured i would be flamed for mildly sticking up for stone, ironically i was right)

I actually bought rosetta stone, second addition a long time ago. I would look at the preview, try to remember the sentence, hide the writing, try to recall all 4 sentences with the picture and then listen to the recording. I then did the tutorial which would go through the 40 pictures 4 times. the last time they go through it, they would show the picture for 5 seconds before showing the answers, i would normally try to recall the sentence within that time frame. I wouldn't suggest it over MT or pimsleur per se, but i don't regret having it.

Back to the point, live services are going to cost a lot. I know those skype classrooms over a year would probably end up being over 1000$. Classes are not going to be tailored to one individual, well it's not in any of my classes. But you're speaking the language with other language learners and a live instructor, how much do you expect this service to cost ?

I should probably mention that I'm not going to buy this service, and I'm not even advocating it. All I'm saying is live instructors = 1000$.

Edited by michaelmichael on 26 July 2010 at 2:51am

daveyboy
Spain
Joined 5081 days ago

33 posts - 46 votes
Studies: Spanish

Message 14 of 45
28 July 2010 at 11:29am | IP Logged 
So many people that are interested in learning languages will see the adverts for
Rosetta Stone everywhere, and think... " Wow this is the Program of Programs " Spend
their hard earned cash on it and then later they will be scratching their heads,
because it Does not do exactly what it says on the tin..lol.

They could spend under 50 pounds and buy the Assimil book with audio, and maybe some
audio books so they can listen and read, download Skype [ Free ] and look for / add
people that are interested in online talking.

The live instructors are probably a good Idea, but even these guys can not force
someone's brain into understanding, especially the hardest part which is the
listening comprehension.

I think the Rosetta Stone team should meet up with a few Polyglots and create a program
that will work, and take you well into the advanced level, then it would be worth
investing into. :D

Edited by daveyboy on 28 July 2010 at 11:30am

Cainntear
Pentaglot
Scotland
linguafrankly.blogsp
Joined 5810 days ago

4399 posts - 7687 votes 
Speaks: Lowland Scots, English*, French, Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Studies: Catalan, Italian, German, Irish, Welsh

Message 15 of 45
31 July 2010 at 3:10pm | IP Logged 
michaelmichael wrote:
I know bashing Rosetta stone is the cool thing to do on these forums but that language studio stuff where they have a native teaching you the language is going to be expensive. I know my summer school teacher charges 40$ an hour for private lessons (i took the class) ,

I'm not going to bother redoing the sums, but the last time this came up I checked and they were charging something silly like $75 per hour, and it wasn't even individualised tuition.

michaelmichael
Canada
Joined 5056 days ago

167 posts - 202 votes 

Message 16 of 45
31 July 2010 at 5:11pm | IP Logged 
Cainntear wrote:
michaelmichael wrote:
I know bashing Rosetta stone is the cool thing to do on these forums but that language studio stuff where they have a native teaching you the language is going to be expensive. I know my summer school teacher charges 40$ an hour for private lessons (i took the class) ,

I'm not going to bother redoing the sums, but the last time this came up I checked and they were charging something silly like $75 per hour, and it wasn't even individualised tuition.

Oh it's not included in the 1000$ ? Like 1000$ down payment, and then as many sessions as you want ? I just watched the video on their site, they didn't seem to have those details.

This discussion contains 45 messages over 6 pages: << Prev 13 4 5 6  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version