Canada
Joined 5056 days ago

167 posts - 202 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French

Message 33 of 45
02 August 2010 at 12:05am | IP Logged 
Liface wrote:
I wonder if the product the article is talking about is Totale? I'm confused, because I thought it was already out (just not being really marketed). I worked for Rosetta Stone as a sort of beta tester for Totale. I really didn't like the program at all. I wrote up a full review, I should post it, I'm not sure if it's kosher yet because I think I signed an NDA.

Sorry for double posting but i missed this post. Yes it's about total, and I'm sure everyone would love to read about your experience (well i know i do).

Edited by michaelmichael on 02 August 2010 at 12:06am

1 person has voted this message useful

TerryW
United States
Joined 6156 days ago

370 posts - 783 votes 

Message 34 of 45
02 August 2010 at 12:28am | IP Logged 
michaelmichael wrote:
Ya not being fluent in french is a bit of an embarrassment for me

michaelmichael wrote:
Ya i grew up in an English district of Quebec, but i went to elementary school when french wasn't mandatory.

Sorry, this is a huge pet peeve of mine, but:

Why do English speakers in Quebec use "Ya" instead of "Yeah," or "Yup," or "Yowzah," or "Yepperz"?   ;-)

Liface wrote:
I worked for Rosetta Stone as a sort of beta tester for Totale. I really didn't like the program at all. I wrote up a full review, I should post it, I'm not sure if it's kosher yet because I think I signed an NDA.

I'm sure we'd ALL love to read it, but if you signed an NDA, you really should respect it. Plus, since they enforce their "no resale" license agreement so vigorously, they might want to use their legal muscle to make a test case out of you. I'm sure there will be user reviews of it on here soon enough.

Edited by TerryW on 02 August 2010 at 12:33am

michaelmichael
Canada
Joined 5056 days ago

167 posts - 202 votes 
Studies: French

Message 35 of 45
02 August 2010 at 2:38am | IP Logged 
TerryW wrote:
michaelmichael wrote:

michaelmichael wrote:
Ya i grew up in an English district of Quebec, but i went to elementary school when french wasn't mandatory.

Why do English speakers in Quebec use "Ya" instead of "Yeah," or "Yup," or "Yowzah," or "Yepperz"?   ;-)

Liface wrote:
I worked for Rosetta Stone as a sort of beta tester for Totale. I really didn't like the program at all. I wrote up a full review, I should post it, I'm not sure if it's kosher yet because I think I signed an NDA.

I'm sure we'd ALL love to read it, but if you signed an NDA, you really should respect it. Plus, since they enforce their "no resale" license agreement so vigorously, they might want to use their legal muscle to make a test case out of you. I'm sure there will be user reviews of it on here soon enough.

I had a suspicion that i might get nailed on the ya (just like I am sure I will be nailed for hmm), but I felt that it would give the impression that I was approachable and not a snobby elitist who must always be perfect (not that I'm saying you are that, but that is the effect of always trying to sound proper or intellectually superior). From a linguistic point of view, if it's in the spoken language it is not "wrong", (grammarians of course disagree). For example, " I didn't do nothing, he ain't done nothing", might be a pet peeve of someone else on these forums, or "i could care less", but they are in the spoken language and we most learn to live with them. Some variations of English use "you was", i also wouldn't say they are wrong.

As a side note, I'm really under siege on this thread. This hasn't been a good thread for me. I blame rosetta stone (seems appropriate), and I don't think I will post on other thread that have STONE in there title. It is bad luck I tell you.
2 persons have voted this message useful

johntm93
United States
Joined 5126 days ago

587 posts - 746 votes 
2 sounds
Studies: German, Spanish

Message 36 of 45
02 August 2010 at 4:38am | IP Logged 
Cainntear wrote:
Liface wrote:
Do you ever make a post without pedantically trolling? You must be extremely unpleasant in real life.

I'm very unpleasant to people who don't apologise when they overstep the mark like that.
Most of his posts are great, but I don't understand how I said one should conform. I said that if you're Canadian and don't live in Quebec, you should put the currency symbol before the number, because from my current knowledge that's how it's done outside of Quebec (and I'm guessing the majority of Canadians don't live in Quebec).
And no, I'm not apologizing, because I didn't do anything wrong, as far as I see it. If you can show me where I ordered him to conform to society, I will apologize.

michaelmichael wrote:
Haha well this will open a can of worms, but my mom's first language is Spanish!! No neither of them really speaks french (though i have cousins whose first language is french), but my mom is pretty good at getting by in french with her Spanish/English. Ya i grew up in an English district of Quebec, but i went to elementary school when french wasn't mandatory. My sister ,who is younger, took french right away. I of course passed the mandatory french exams in high School and did well in the 2 mandatory French courses in cegep (i took the easiest level that was credited).
Interesting. The more you know, I guess.

johntm93
United States
Joined 5126 days ago

587 posts - 746 votes 
2 sounds

Message 37 of 45
02 August 2010 at 4:42am | IP Logged 
michaelmichael wrote:
TerryW wrote:
michaelmichael wrote:

michaelmichael wrote:

Liface wrote:

I had a suspicion that i might get nailed on the ya (just like I am sure I will be nailed for hmm), but I felt that it would give the impression that I was approachable and not a snobby elitist who must always be perfect (not that I'm saying you are that, but that is the effect of always trying to sound proper or intellectually superior). From a linguistic point of view, if it's in the spoken language it is not "wrong", (grammarians of course disagree). For example, " I didn't do nothing, he ain't done nothing", might be a pet peeve of someone else on these forums, or "i could care less", but they are in the spoken language and we most learn to live with them. Some variations of English use "you was", i also wouldn't say they are wrong.

As a side note, I'm really under siege on this thread. This hasn't been a good thread for me. I blame rosetta stone (seems appropriate), and I don't think I will post on other thread that have STONE in there title. It is bad luck I tell you.

I'm a Southern American and I use "Ya" and so do my friends, but that's only when we're too lazy to type "yeah."
And yes, I do use the double negative with "ain't."

As a side note: Yes, if you are a fan of RS, it's probably best to keep it a secret here.

Edited by johntm93 on 02 August 2010 at 4:49am

Liface
Triglot
United States
youtube.com/user/Lif
Joined 5657 days ago

150 posts - 237 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish
Studies: Dutch, French

Message 38 of 45
07 August 2010 at 10:12pm | IP Logged 
johntm93 wrote:

I'm a Southern American and I use "Ya" and so do my friends, but that's only when we're too lazy to type "yeah."

As a side note: Yes, if you are a fan of RS, it's probably best to keep it a secret here.

I find that really confusing. For example, I have a friend from California who commented "f**k ya!" on my Facebook status obviously meaning "f**k yeah", but I parsed at "f**k YOU!"

I totally understand it being shorter than yeah, but it's also a shorter way of saying "you".

Edited by Liface on 07 August 2010 at 10:12pm

zekecoma
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5143 days ago

561 posts - 655 votes 

Message 39 of 45
08 August 2010 at 6:34am | IP Logged 
I use ya because German it's ja (ya). So it all works well in all.

This thread is going off topic can we go back to the subject in hand?

Rosetta Stone is a marketing scam. It's like all those cleanmypc.com sites for your
computers. In the end it's a virus that will never go away.

johntm93
United States
Joined 5126 days ago

587 posts - 746 votes 
2 sounds

Message 40 of 45
08 August 2010 at 7:06am | IP Logged 
Liface wrote:
johntm93 wrote:

I'm a Southern American and I use "Ya" and so do my friends, but that's only when we're
too lazy to type "yeah."

As a side note: Yes, if you are a fan of RS, it's probably best to keep it a secret
here.

I find that really confusing. For example, I have a friend from California who
commented "f**k ya!" on my Facebook status obviously meaning "f**k yeah", but I parsed
at "f**k YOU!"

I totally understand it being shorter than yeah, but it's also a shorter way of saying
"you".
It can get confusing, but most people I know don't use it for "you."
I normally just type "yeah"

zekecoma wrote:
I use ya because German it's ja (ya). So it all works well in all.

This thread is going off topic can we go back to the subject in hand?

Rosetta Stone is a marketing scam. It's like all those cleanmypc.com sites for your
computers. In the end it's a virus that will never go away.
I've heard people
who've never even used it recommend it.
An example:
First off, my parents don't really know I'm studying languages, so keep that in mind.
I was eating out with my family at a Mexican restaurant, and my dad remarks that he'd
like to learn Spanish (which he says from time to time but never does anything about
it; we have an RS demo disc and some other Spanish program that he's never used). They
start wondering if they could get RS second hand for a cheaper price when I say
"There's probably something cheaper out there that works better." And yes, I was
thinking about Assimil.
Anyway, my mom remarks "I don't know, it is the best out there." Which kind of pisses
off that someone who knows nothing about language learning is saying what the best
method for it is.
My mom is an easy sell though, as in it's extremely easy to convince her to buy
something. My dad, not so much (he has worked in sales before), but the commercials
still have convinced him. :\

Edited by johntm93 on 08 August 2010 at 7:11am

This discussion contains 45 messages over 6 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 46  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version