linguafrankly.blogsp
Joined 5810 days ago

4399 posts - 7687 votes 
Speaks: Lowland Scots, English*, French, Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Studies: Catalan, Italian, German, Irish, Welsh

Message 25 of 45
01 August 2010 at 12:17pm | IP Logged 
michaelmichael wrote:
I feel like i should say something, but I'm speechless. (Note to self, defending stone, even mildly, is dangerous to ones health.). All i can say in my defense, is that the video on their site looked really good, they had people describing the picture with an instructor... and they all looked so happy.

Don't worry about it. RS is the slickest marketed language product there is and it takes a very highly-developed sense of cynicism to be immune to its charms.... ;-)
1 person has voted this message useful

johntm93
United States
Joined 5126 days ago

587 posts - 746 votes 
2 sounds
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Spanish

Message 26 of 45
01 August 2010 at 5:49pm | IP Logged 
Cainntear wrote:
johntm93 wrote:
michaelmichael wrote:
johntm93 wrote:
Sorry, this is a huge pet peeve of mine, but:
The dollar sign goes BEFORE the number. Like $400, not 400$. I can understand getting it wrong if you're from a place where it's the other way around, but for you Americans and Canadians and whoever else, the currency sign goes before the number.

Not in Quebec.
Oh. Well, the majority of Canadians anyway.

Yes, michaelmichael, conform to the majority! Speak only English, listen to middle-of-the-road rock and eat at MacDonalds. We don't like differences here!
Where did I say he had to conform? I just said that Americans and the majority of Canadians (as in the places where it's done this way) should use their currency symbol correctly, in certain situations it can seem unintelligent to use it incorrectly. I also didn't know he lived in Quebec, as his native language is listed as English, and I assumed he didn't live in Quebec (That's typically a safe assumption, at least as far as I knew. Sorry about that Michael)

PS McDonalds sucks

Edit: Also, I don't listen to middle-of-the-road rock, whatever that is.

Edited by johntm93 on 01 August 2010 at 6:13pm

michaelmichael
Canada
Joined 5056 days ago

167 posts - 202 votes 
Studies: French

Message 27 of 45
01 August 2010 at 6:03pm | IP Logged 
johntm93 wrote:
Cainntear wrote:
johntm93 wrote:
michaelmichael wrote:
johntm93 wrote:
The dollar sign goes BEFORE the number. Like $400, not 400$. I can understand getting it wrong if you're from a place where it's the other way around, but for you Americans and Canadians and whoever else, the currency sign goes before the number.

Not in Quebec.

Yes, michaelmichael, conform to the majority! Speak only English, listen to middle-of-the-road rock and eat at MacDonalds. We don't like differences here!
Where did I say he had to conform? I just said that Americans and the majority of Canadians (as in the places where it's done this way) should use their currency symbol correctly, in certain situations it can seem unintelligent to use it incorrectly. I also didn't know he lived in Quebec, as his native language is listed as English, and I assumed he didn't live in Quebec (That's typically a safe assumption, at least as far as I knew. Sorry about that Michael)

PS McDonalds sucks

Ya not being fluent in french is a bit of an embarrassment for me, but better late than never. The west island and Montreal, as well as the big universities (concordia, mcgiil) are heavily dominated by English.

In one of my posts, i think the first on this thread, i mention cegep (unique to Quebec ? Je ne sais pas), I guess most people don't know what that is but it's grade 12-13 kind of. I should see if i can put Quebec in a more prominent place in my profile.

I'm tired of McDonalds, i don't really eat there anymore, but i do like their garden salad.

johntm93
United States
Joined 5126 days ago

587 posts - 746 votes 
2 sounds
Studies: German, Spanish

Message 28 of 45
01 August 2010 at 6:13pm | IP Logged 
michaelmichael wrote:
johntm93 wrote:
Cainntear wrote:
johntm93 wrote:
michaelmichael wrote:
johntm93 wrote:

Not in Quebec.

PS McDonalds sucks

Ya not being fluent in french is a bit of an embarrassment for me, but better late than never. The west island and Montreal, as well as the big universities (concordia, mcgiil) are heavily dominated by English.

In one of my posts, i think the first on this thread, i mention cegep (unique to Quebec ? Je ne sais pas), I guess most people don't know what that is but it's grade 12-13 kind of. I should see if i can put Quebec in a more prominent place in my profile.

I'm tired of McDonalds, i don't really eat there anymore, but i do like their garden salad.
I don't know what cegep is :P At least I didn't. Did you grow up in Quebec? Do your parents speak French? Haha now I'm interested in why you don't speak French.
And yeah, it's odd, but I hate most fast food.

michaelmichael
Canada
Joined 5056 days ago

167 posts - 202 votes 

Message 29 of 45
01 August 2010 at 6:32pm | IP Logged 
johntm93 wrote:
michaelmichael wrote:
johntm93 wrote:
Cainntear wrote:
johntm93 wrote:
michaelmichael wrote:
johntm93 wrote:

Not in Quebec.

PS McDonalds sucks

I don't know what cegep is :P At least I didn't. Did you grow up in Quebec? Do your parents speak French? Haha now I'm interested in why you don't speak French.
And yeah, it's odd, but I hate most fast food.

Haha well this will open a can of worms, but my mom's first language is Spanish!! No neither of them really speaks french (though i have cousins whose first language is french), but my mom is pretty good at getting by in french with her Spanish/English. Ya i grew up in an English district of Quebec, but i went to elementary school when french wasn't mandatory. My sister ,who is younger, took french right away. I of course passed the mandatory french exams in high School and did well in the 2 mandatory French courses in cegep (i took the easiest level that was credited).

Liface
Triglot
United States
youtube.com/user/Lif
Joined 5657 days ago

150 posts - 237 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish
Studies: Dutch, French

Message 30 of 45
01 August 2010 at 7:19pm | IP Logged 
Cainntear wrote:
johntm93 wrote:
michaelmichael wrote:
johntm93 wrote:

Not in Quebec.

Do you ever make a post without pedantically trolling? You must be extremely unpleasant in real life.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Cainntear
Pentaglot
Scotland
linguafrankly.blogsp
Joined 5810 days ago

4399 posts - 7687 votes 
Speaks: Lowland Scots, English*, French, Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Studies: Catalan, Italian, German, Irish, Welsh

Message 31 of 45
01 August 2010 at 7:35pm | IP Logged 
Liface wrote:
Do you ever make a post without pedantically trolling? You must be extremely unpleasant in real life.

I'm very unpleasant to people who don't apologise when they overstep the mark like that.

michaelmichael
Canada
Joined 5056 days ago

167 posts - 202 votes 

Message 32 of 45
01 August 2010 at 9:09pm | IP Logged 
Liface wrote:
Cainntear wrote:
johntm93 wrote:
michaelmichael wrote:
johntm93 wrote:

Not in Quebec.

Well if his posts are troll posts, i must say they're quite informative.
Would a troll formulated an argument using mathematical and deductive logic ? I think not, unless he is an ELITE troll, in which case you should probably address him as such.

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 45 messages over 6 pages: << Prev 1 2 35 6  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version