Joined 5127 days ago

587 posts - 746 votes 
2 sounds
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Spanish

Message 17 of 45
31 July 2010 at 7:50pm | IP Logged 
Sorry, this is a huge pet peeve of mine, but:
The dollar sign goes BEFORE the number. Like $400, not 400$. I can understand getting it wrong if you're from a place where it's the other way around, but for you Americans and Canadians and whoever else, the currency sign goes before the number.
3 persons have voted this message useful

michaelmichael
Canada
Joined 5057 days ago

167 posts - 202 votes 
Studies: French

Message 18 of 45
31 July 2010 at 11:34pm | IP Logged 
johntm93 wrote:
The dollar sign goes BEFORE the number. Like $400, not 400$. I can understand getting it wrong if you're from a place where it's the other way around, but for you Americans and Canadians and whoever else, the currency sign goes before the number.

Not in Quebec.

Cainntear
Pentaglot
Scotland
linguafrankly.blogsp
Joined 5811 days ago

4399 posts - 7687 votes 
Speaks: Lowland Scots, English*, French, Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Studies: Catalan, Italian, German, Irish, Welsh

Message 19 of 45
01 August 2010 at 12:00am | IP Logged 
michaelmichael wrote:
I know bashing Rosetta stone is the cool thing to do on these forums but that language studio stuff where they have a native teaching you the language is going to be expensive. I know my summer school teacher charges 40$ an hour for private lessons (i took the class) , it's is also over 200$ to take a language class for 40 hours (at cegep level, at mcgill university it's 1500$). It is also suppose to be for a year, so if they allow you to schedule as much studio practice as you want, i would say it's not a bad price. I think we all agree that self learning language programs are over priced, but having live instructors changes everything

michaelmichael wrote:
Oh it's not included in the 1000$ ? Like 1000$ down payment, and then as many sessions as you want ? I just watched the video on their site, they didn't seem to have those details.

It's included, but...

RosettaStone.com wrote:
Rosetta Studio offers a total of twelve unique sessions, one for each unit of Rosetta Course, and learners are able to repeat sessions to improve their understanding of the content.

And they say these sessions are "approximately one hour each".

I said I wasn't going to do the sums, but here goes. At the basic level, they are offering you 12 hours of lessons. The current price difference between the software only package and TOTALe is $460 (US), which is $38 per hour. The previous price was a $660 difference, which was "only" $55, so I was overstating. But $38 for non-personalised, in group, online tuition... compared to $40 for personalised, one-on-one, face-to-face tuition....

Your "over 200" for a 40 hour class is equal to just over $5 per hour. Are the Rosetta Stone lessons really 7 times (10 times at old RS prices) as good as these cegep lessons? I can't imagine taking the same lesson 7 (10) times as being a particularly good use of anyone's study time....
1 person has voted this message useful

michaelmichael
Canada
Joined 5057 days ago

167 posts - 202 votes 

Message 20 of 45
01 August 2010 at 12:14am | IP Logged 
Cainntear wrote:
michaelmichael wrote:
I know bashing Rosetta stone is the cool thing to do on these forums but that language studio stuff where they have a native teaching you the language is going to be expensive. I know my summer school teacher charges 40$ an hour for private lessons (i took the class) , it's is also over 200$ to take a language class for 40 hours (at cegep level, at mcgill university it's 1500$). It is also suppose to be for a year, so if they allow you to schedule as much studio practice as you want, i would say it's not a bad price. I think we all agree that self learning language programs are over priced, but having live instructors changes everything

michaelmichael wrote:
Oh it's not included in the 1000$ ? Like 1000$ down payment, and then as many sessions as you want ? I just watched the video on their site, they didn't seem to have those details.

It's included, but...

RosettaStone.com wrote:
Rosetta Studio offers a total of twelve unique sessions, one for each unit of Rosetta Course, and learners are able to repeat sessions to improve their understanding of the content.

And they say these sessions are "approximately one hour each".

I said I wasn't going to do the sums, but here goes. At the basic level, they are offering you 12 hours of lessons. The current price difference between the software only package and TOTALe is $460 (US), which is $38 per hour. The previous price was a $660 difference, which was "only" $55, so I was overstating. But $38 for non-personalised, in group, online tuition... compared to $40 for personalised, one-on-one, face-to-face tuition....

Your "over 200" for a 40 hour class is equal to just over $5 per hour. Are the Rosetta Stone lessons really 7 times (10 times at old RS prices) as good as these cegep lessons? I can't imagine taking the same lesson 7 (10) times as being a particularly good use of anyone's study time....

I feel like i should say something, but I'm speechless. (Note to self, defending stone, even mildly, is dangerous to ones health.). All i can say in my defense, is that the video on their site looked really good, they had people describing the picture with an instructor... and they all looked so happy.

johntm93
United States
Joined 5127 days ago

587 posts - 746 votes 
2 sounds
Studies: German, Spanish

Message 21 of 45
01 August 2010 at 1:42am | IP Logged 
michaelmichael wrote:
johntm93 wrote:

Not in Quebec.
Oh. Well, the majority of Canadians anyway.
2 persons have voted this message useful

michaelmichael
Canada
Joined 5057 days ago

167 posts - 202 votes 

Message 22 of 45
01 August 2010 at 4:41am | IP Logged 
johntm93 wrote:
michaelmichael wrote:
johntm93 wrote:

Not in Quebec.

Hmm, well I'll keep it in mind if i ever leave Quebec. I like it here, for the most part.

Liface
Triglot
United States
youtube.com/user/Lif
Joined 5658 days ago

150 posts - 237 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish
Studies: Dutch, French

Message 23 of 45
01 August 2010 at 8:27am | IP Logged 
I wonder if the product the article is talking about is Totale? I'm confused, because I thought it was already out (just not being really marketed). I worked for Rosetta Stone as a sort of beta tester for Totale. I really didn't like the program at all. I wrote up a full review, I should post it, I'm not sure if it's kosher yet because I think I signed an NDA.

Edited by Liface on 01 August 2010 at 8:30am

Cainntear
Pentaglot
Scotland
linguafrankly.blogsp
Joined 5811 days ago

4399 posts - 7687 votes 
Speaks: Lowland Scots, English*, French, Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Studies: Catalan, Italian, German, Irish, Welsh

Message 24 of 45
01 August 2010 at 12:12pm | IP Logged 
johntm93 wrote:
michaelmichael wrote:
johntm93 wrote:

Not in Quebec.

Yes, michaelmichael, conform to the majority! Speak only English, listen to middle-of-the-road rock and eat at MacDonalds. We don't like differences here!

This discussion contains 45 messages over 6 pages: << Prev 1 24 5 6  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version