Groupie
United States
Joined 5391 days ago

91 posts - 118 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Dutch, French

Message 1 of 69
01 August 2010 at 2:48am | IP Logged 
I first wanted to learn Russian in 2006 when I was 12 years old. I wanted to learn Russian because my favorite sport is gymnastics and many of my favorite gymnasts are soviets, Russians, and/or from Russian decent. I didn't have any books, recordings, etc. so I tried to learn Russian from the internet. I got my first set of Russian books in 2008 and that is when I typically say I started learning Russian because my resources were so limited before. Now I have found many more great websites, increased the books I own, and met some Russians online. I still consider myself a beginner even though I have been studying Russian for 2+ years and I feel it is because I was testing out different methods to see which one fit me the best, and because I can become unmotivated easily. I now feel I have the right method, and I am very motivated so it seems like a good time to start a log.

The List of Books I Own:
The New Penguin Russian Course
First Reader in Russian
Russian-English English-Russian Dicitonary
Russian for Dummies
Russian Stories: A Dual Language Book
The Big Silver Book of Russian Verbs
Learn Russian the Fast and Fun Way
Roots of the Russian Language
Using Russian: A Guide to Contemporary Usage
Using Russian Synonyms

Edited by whipback on 01 August 2010 at 2:49am

4 persons have voted this message useful

anamsc
Triglot
Andorra
Joined 6000 days ago

296 posts - 382 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Catalan
Studies: Arabic (Levantine), Arabic (Written), French

Message 2 of 69
01 August 2010 at 5:49am | IP Logged 
This is the best motivation to learn a language I've ever heard of! I eventually want to learn Romanian for the same reason...I even downloaded Gina Gogean's PhD thesis (on Yurchenkos) for future practice!

I'm sure you'll find lots of interviews, competition videos, documentaries, etc. in Russian on Youtube to practice with if you should feel so inclined. :)
1 person has voted this message useful

whipback
Groupie
United States
Joined 5391 days ago

91 posts - 118 votes 

Message 3 of 69
01 August 2010 at 3:03pm | IP Logged 
anamsc wrote:
This is the best motivation to learn a language I've ever heard of! I eventually want to learn Romanian for the same reason...I even downloaded Gina Gogean's PhD thesis (on Yurchenkos) for future practice!

I'm sure you'll find lots of interviews, competition videos, documentaries, etc. in Russian on Youtube to practice with if you should feel so inclined. :)

How awesome! Romanian is one of the future languages I want to learn because of how great the gymnastics was/is! I also want to learn Chinese for the same reason! Thank you for the support!

Here are Some of My Goals:
Listen to anything in Russian for a half an hour every day.
Try to read atleast four pages every day in the book I am reading called First Reader in Russian
Everything I know how to say in Russian I need to speak, even if it is just one word in a sentence
Learn at least 20 words everyday... hopefully with most of the words from what I read
I want to be able to sound as close as possible to a Russian... I don't know when I think I should be able to accomplish this

Sep. 25
Be able to read internet articles in Russian without the use of a dictionary

Oct. 16
Be able to read Russian blogs without the use of a dictionary

Oct. 6
Be able to read Russian newspapers without the use of a dictionary

Nov. 13
Be able to write diary/journal entries without the use of a dicitonary

Nov. 27
Be able to read a Russian book without the use of a dictionary

Jan. 7
Be able to listen to Russian podcasts and be able to understand them
Be able to listen to Russian news and be able to understand what is going on

Jan. 21
Be able to listen to Russian radio and understand the songs and the commentary

Feb. 28
Be able to talk to a Russian native without the use of a dictionary or resorting back to English

Apr. 28
Be able to express almost all of my thoughts in Russian whether or not the person I am speaking to speaks Russian

I had trouble with these because I never knew which would be considered more difficult... blogs, articles, newspapars... podcasts, news, radio...

What do you guys think? Are these goals to difficult to be a reached? Am I trying to attain something more difficult sooner than something less difficult? Thanks!

Edited by whipback on 01 August 2010 at 3:08pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

whipback
Groupie
United States
Joined 5391 days ago

91 posts - 118 votes 

Message 4 of 69
02 August 2010 at 6:33am | IP Logged 
Today wasn't the best day. I didn't read or listen to anything. I didn't learn at least 20 words, but I did study vocabulary. I'm not going to make any excuses, because I had time to work on my Russian I just really wanted to do other things... read my book (English), swim, hang out with my friends, etc. Tomorrow is a new day though, and I will get to work. If I don't complete all of my daily goals I will make myself eat celery (yuck!), and if I do complete all of my goals I will reward myself... maybe I will give myself a good amount of time to finish some of my [English] books. But I will absolutely not start reading until I have completed my daily goals.

whipback
Groupie
United States
Joined 5391 days ago

91 posts - 118 votes 

Message 5 of 69
03 August 2010 at 5:12am | IP Logged 
    Today was a much better day than yesterday. I only read two pages today which doesn't reach my goal, but it is better than yesterday. It gave me a total of 85 words which I think it is okay but could be better. I'm feeling really good about reading First Reader in Russian. I understand probably 90%-95% of the words which makes me feel really good and motivated, and then it has questions and practices at the end of each reading. When I can completely understand those questions and respond to them completely in Russian, it makes me feel even more motivated.

I listened to a full hour of Russian to make up for yesterday. I listen to some Russian radio here: http://www.russianinternet.com/radio/, some Russian news, and some interviews on youtube like this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svdJ4TZ2Zi8. I am able to understand some words and sometimes parts of sentences. I am still a long way from where I want to be in my listening skills.

I wrote in Russian on my families grocery list for a total of two words Ha! They are: зелёный чай. Writing isn't too important to me at this stage, but I should be doing at least a little bit.

I didn't talk to anyone today, but I need to start doing it more often. My one problem with chatting to someone is we only have a family computer so when ever I am speaking to someone my family is there to hear my conversation which makes me feel awkward. Does anyone else have the same problem?

I don't remember the exact number of words I learn, but it was over 20 to beat my goal.

Tomorrow I think I will post more about the methods I use.

Accumulative Results Since the Start of this Log
Words of Reading: 85
Hours of Listening: 01h 00m
Words of Writing: 2
Hours of Speaking: 00h 00m

Record in One Day Since the Start of this Log:
Words of Reading: 85
Hours of Listening: 01h 00m

Edited by whipback on 03 August 2010 at 5:15am

whipback
Groupie
United States
Joined 5391 days ago

91 posts - 118 votes 

Message 6 of 69
04 August 2010 at 1:12am | IP Logged 
My Reading Method

I just thought I would post my reading method. I have been babysitting since 7am so I haven't had any time to finish my goals, but I will get them done today.
My method for reading foreign languages comes from a book I bought about language learning. It may seem like nothing special, but I never thought of it before I bought the book so I decided to share it.
First you obviously have to choose what you are going to read. Right now I am reading First Reader in Russian. The first time I read through a section in the book I don't translate any of the words I don't know. I just understand what I can and maybe guess at the words I don't know. Then I read through a second time and translate all of the words I don't know. Then the last time I read through it I understand the text as a whole.
I find this method very useful because you get two chances to read through the text without disrupting the flow of reading, and you get to see the words you don't know three times which really helps with memorizing them.
Thanks and I hope I will complete my daily goals by today!

Edited by whipback on 04 August 2010 at 4:26pm

whipback
Groupie
United States
Joined 5391 days ago

91 posts - 118 votes 

Message 7 of 69
04 August 2010 at 4:17pm | IP Logged 
Sorry I didn't post what I did yesterday, but as of yesterday these are my results:

Accumulative Results Since the Start of this Log:
Words of Reading: 385
Hours of Listening: 01h 50m

Record in One Day Since the Start of this Log:
Words of Reading: 300
Hours of Listening 01h 00m

whipback
Groupie
United States
Joined 5391 days ago

91 posts - 118 votes 

Message 8 of 69
04 August 2010 at 4:25pm | IP Logged 
My Listening Method

My Listening Method really is nothing. I just find things that interest me, and then I listen to them. I try to only actively listen because I don't think listening passively does much. At least not enough to get me to reach the goal I am trying to achieve. I don't understand much, but maybe in the future I will write about what I hear. I think it will be so exciting when I am finally able to understand a full news broadcast or a song in Russian! A watch a lot of videos on you tube. I will watch interviews, documentaries, Disney movies or songs, cartoons, etc. I do listen to Russian radio, but I think listening to the Radio is boring compared to a 5 part documentary with each part being 10 minutes so you can have breaks in between. I also try to watch as much of news reports on Scola as I can.

This discussion contains 69 messages over 9 pages: 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version