Groupie
United States
Joined 4841 days ago

65 posts - 77 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Czech, Hungarian

Message 81 of 119
30 July 2011 at 8:32am | IP Logged 
Man, you get to travel a lot! Amazing! From what I've seen, southeastern Europe is gorgeous and is near the top of my list (if not at the top) of places to go when I'm done with my degree. It's so green and I love how the mountains go right down to the coast. But anyway, hope you have fun and maybe you can give me some tips on Serbo-Croatian when you get better at it :). My great-grandpa George (he was from Montenegro) taught my dad some swear words but he never handed them down to me :(

I think it's funny that you watched How I Met Your Mother. A couple of my friends are way into it. Did you think it was funny? I've always thought humor would be the hardest thing to get about a non-native language. So much of it comes from subtle things like word choice that would be hard for a non-native to pick up on. We Americans don't understand a lot of German humor, for example, but I'm sure there's something to it.

Well it sounds like you're coming along quite nicely. Definitely take full advantage of your opportunities while you're there!

Az István
1 person has voted this message useful

Kisfroccs
Bilingual Pentaglot
Switzerland
Joined 5198 days ago

388 posts - 549 votes 
Speaks: French*, German*, EnglishC1, Swiss-German, Hungarian
Studies: Italian, Serbo-Croatian

Message 82 of 119
31 July 2011 at 12:52pm | IP Logged 
-

Edited by Kisfroccs on 28 August 2014 at 11:43am

The Stephen
Diglot
Groupie
United States
Joined 4841 days ago

65 posts - 77 votes 

Message 83 of 119
04 August 2011 at 3:42am | IP Logged 
Kisfroccs wrote:

Bündnerfleisch
and Nie den Humor verlieren... zB Bündnerfleisch. It was our former president :). I hope you will understand it.

Kisfröccs

I'm afraid the humor might be going over my head :(. I had to look up all the government/legal words, but I think I understand the speech now. He's talking about certain additions that were made to the tariff legislation to account for meat that has been "prepared" or seasoned, right? I do find it kind of funny to be talking about such a seemingly minor detail in such a roundabout, formal way. I like the last thing he says though, "I beg your forgiveness if I haven't understood what I read to you" XD

Good luck with the 6 week challenge! I'm not doing it because I want to keep up my strict "Assimil diet" and I have to make sure I'm all ready for school to start up again in a few weeks.

And I'm sorry I've kind of been hijacking your personal log thread. So I'll leave you alone for awhile ;)

Der Stefan

Kisfroccs
Bilingual Pentaglot
Switzerland
Joined 5198 days ago

388 posts - 549 votes 

Message 84 of 119
08 August 2011 at 3:23pm | IP Logged 
-

Edited by Kisfroccs on 28 August 2014 at 11:44am

hribecek
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 5138 days ago

1243 posts - 1458 votes 
Speaks: English*, Czech, Spanish
Studies: Italian, Polish, Slovak, Hungarian, Toki Pona, Russian

Message 85 of 119
10 August 2011 at 1:45pm | IP Logged 
Hi Zsofi

A module is like a subject within a subject. For example I studied English at university and my modules were things like Creative Writing 1, Linguistics, Canadian literature, etc. I had to choose 4 modules I think for each semester (half a school year) from a choice of about 8. Your scores from your results from each module are combined to determine your overall grade at the end of the year. That's how it was for me 10 years ago anyway.

I would write all of my grades, maybe except for bad ones that might put them off you! As far as I remember I wrote all of my GCSE and A'level grades, except for 2 out of my 10 GCSE's as they were too bad.

I hope I answered your questions. Any more questions, feel free to ask if I wasn't clear enough or didn't understand your question properly.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Kisfroccs
Bilingual Pentaglot
Switzerland
Joined 5198 days ago

388 posts - 549 votes 

Message 86 of 119
10 August 2011 at 11:44pm | IP Logged 
Hi all

I suscribed to the 6 weeks challenge, but so far I only managed to learn for 10 hours. Most of the time was spent watching my favorite serie : Seherezádé,listening to Kossuth Rádió.

Since I was in Hungary, I notice that I understand way more, especially in my serie. All the greetings, the little things everyone use everyday are more comprehensible.

Today, I read the first page of Szputnyik, szívecském from Murakami Haruki. I wrote some sentences down I liked (translated in German) :

ez a szevedélyes szerelem : die leidenschaftlich Liebe
mindent letarol : verwüstet alles
a forgószél heve egy mádosperre sem csítul : der Wirbelwind klingt auch ein zweites mal nicht ab
egy keleties varárzsú erõdvãros : eine östliches zauberische Stadtfestung
ráadasul nõ volt : überdies war sie (noch) ein Frau

Yesterday I also bought a grammar : Grammaire fondamentale du hongrois, Thomas Szende, Georges Kassai, Langue Mondes, L'asiathèque.

I read formules d'adresse et de salutation :

szióka : I like it, but never use it with unknown friends
Szia, sziasztok, szervusz, szervusztok, helló, hello, hallo, halló : Heard everywhere in Budapest
Uram, asszonyom Heard :) only if you don't know the person
Kezét csókolom : Heard, never used as I am a woman, but was greeted like this a few times. Makes me feel special everytime :)
Viszonthallásra : First time I had to phone to the University and to a hungarian magazin, I heard this. => Auf Wiederhören

Hribecek, you wanted to know where my level would be after my course in Hungarian and living in Budapest. I have definitively A2, and after 20 days, I almost felt at home. I could understand almost every public announcement (metro, busz, ad etc), could order almost everything in restaurant etc. But more important, I felt that I consolidated my basic and can now move on.

And it's such a good feeling to be mistaken for a native... even if it's for one minute :D.

Kisfröccs

P.S. Hribecek, thanks for your advice, but I put all my grades in, even the bad one, as I figured out that they would want to see them, why ommit. Well, I will see if it was really a good idea :D. Hope it goes well, it would be my dream studies !

Edited by Kisfroccs on 06 October 2011 at 11:20am

Kisfroccs
Bilingual Pentaglot
Switzerland
Joined 5198 days ago

388 posts - 549 votes 

Message 87 of 119
12 August 2011 at 12:37pm | IP Logged 
-

Edited by Kisfroccs on 28 August 2014 at 11:45am

The Stephen
Diglot
Groupie
United States
Joined 4841 days ago

65 posts - 77 votes 

Message 88 of 119
14 August 2011 at 10:09am | IP Logged 
^^^^^^^^

Danke Zsófi. Ich werde bald in diese Links hineinschauen.

This discussion contains 119 messages over 15 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version