Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 6893 days ago

1651 posts - 1939 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, French

Message 17 of 72
07 October 2010 at 4:02pm | IP Logged 
Splog wrote:
It was unexpected, since I found the exam very hard. Particularly the listening part, which (strangely) it turns out I did quite well in.

Well done!
1 person has voted this message useful

Splog
Diglot
Czech Republic
anthonylauder.c
Joined 5459 days ago

1062 posts - 3263 votes 
Speaks: English*, Czech
Studies: Mandarin

Message 19 of 72
14 October 2010 at 9:50pm | IP Logged 
One of the professors was sick today, so my tiny group was merged for the day with a
group at a slightly lower level. However, I was astonished by the abilities of the
students in that group. They spoke so effortlessly - lacking only vocabulary and
making only a few minor declension errors.

It turns out, they were almost all from Russia and the Ukraine and they were soaking up
Czech like sponges. Given the thousands of hours of hard work I have had to put into
Czech, I must admit to being somewhat jealous of the advantage people have when they
come from a background in another Slavic language.

The last couple of weeks at university have strengthened my realisation that the
"natural approach to acquisition" that I have mostly been following has been both an
advantage and a disadvantage. Certainly, I have picked up lots of idioms and a lot of
general vocabulary, but there are simply thousands of words I have ignored due to
having only seen them a couple of times.

I contrast this with the rich vocabulary of the Italian priest in my group, who studied
extensive word lists for hours a day for almost two years, and he has a massive
vocabulary. Now I wish I had balanced my approach with more word-list study.

Over the past six weeks, then, I have added around two thousand words to my vocabulary,
and it certainly adds oil to my linguistic wheels. I will keep at this.

In addition, on the recommendation of one of the professors, I have started to watch a
daily soap opera. Unfortunately, it is hardly gripping stuff, and I have to hold back
my yawning while watching it. I am assured that it will pay off if I can just stick
with it.

Edited by Splog on 14 October 2010 at 9:54pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

stelingo
Hexaglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5622 days ago

722 posts - 1076 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese, French, German, Italian
Studies: Russian, Czech, Polish, Greek, Mandarin

Message 20 of 72
15 October 2010 at 12:13am | IP Logged 
What is the name of the soap? I'm at an intermediate level myself and one of my weaknesses is definitely comprehension of normal speech. I also need this kind of input. On Czech TV they often show news programmes first broadcast during Communist times (not sure why, nostalgia perhaps?) and it's interesting to note that the newscasters speak much more slowly than they do today.

Splog
Diglot
Czech Republic
anthonylauder.c
Joined 5459 days ago

1062 posts - 3263 votes 

Message 21 of 72
15 October 2010 at 7:04am | IP Logged 
stelingo wrote:
What is the name of the soap? I'm at an intermediate level myself and
one of my weaknesses is definitely comprehension of normal speech. I also need this
kind of input. On Czech TV they often show news programmes first broadcast during
Communist times (not sure why, nostalgia perhaps?) and it's interesting to note that
the newscasters speak much more slowly than they do today.

Ulice, which plays on TV Nova each day at 18:25. The language isn't very complicated,
so you should be fine with it. The plots are typical of soaps: people having affairs,
colleagues betraying one another, and similar domestic dramas.

The old news broadcasts you mentioned are indeed for nostalgia. What interests me about
them is the complete lack of facial expression on the newsreaders, and the monotone
with which they read from their scripts.

stelingo
Hexaglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5622 days ago

722 posts - 1076 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese, French, German, Italian
Studies: Russian, Czech, Polish, Greek, Mandarin

Message 22 of 72
16 October 2010 at 1:40pm | IP Logged 
Yes, I've seen Ulice a few times but I can't watch it here in UK online. Have you heard of Vyprávěj on CT1?

http://www.ceskatelevize.cz/porady/10195164142/

It's a 'retro' soap about a Czech family. The first series was set in the 60s, there was one episode about the 68 Spring Uprising. I think they've now reached the early 70s in the present series. It's a nice series, quite humerous and you get a glimpse of what life was like under Communism. They start each programme with a couple of news reels from the period. Unfortunately I only understand about half of what they say, but can more or less follow the plot. They have released the first 2 series on DVD, which I think have Czech subtitles, which would help me enormously. However on my last 2 visits to Prague I've been unable to find them anywhere. I could order them online but I'm not sure how reliable the Czech postal system is.

Splog
Diglot
Czech Republic
anthonylauder.c
Joined 5459 days ago

1062 posts - 3263 votes 

Message 23 of 72
21 October 2010 at 7:18pm | IP Logged 
There are now four students in the class. The new addition is a Japanese Woman who is
training to be a court translator. She already has an astonishing knowledge of Czech
grammar, but has joined us to get in lots of conversational practice and to overcome
some apparent shyness. She is a welcome addition to the group.

One side effect is that she has stimulated the professors to test our knowledge of
grammar more than before. This only takes about 30 minutes out of each day, but is
confirming how endlessly complicated Czech grammar is. As mentioned earlier, I have
never bothered to learn declensions for rare words, since they are of little use to me.
The professors, though, are not letting us get away with such laziness. Hence, I find
myself hitting the grammar books trying to find obscure rules for tiny details.

Although this is painful, one nice side effect is that the few things that are
comparatively "normal" in the grammar now feel much easier than ever before. It reminds
me of when I took exams as school, and found them hard. Only to look back a few months
later and wonder why I didn't get 100%. So, the advantage of pushing yourself into
seemingly useless advanced stuff seems to be that it makes the useful stuff feel much
easier.

Besides this, the University has decided to enter me into a national speech
competition. Hence, a couple of weeks from now I will be travelling to another city and
making a fool of myself in front of a panel of judges and dozens of spectators. There
doesn't seem to be much in it for me in terms of prizes, but the professors seem keen
on it - so I thought "why not?". I do not expect to do well, since I am sure other
competitors will take it more seriously and put more effort in. Perhaps their own fine
examples will motivate me to strive for ever higher levels of achievement.

getreallanguage
Diglot
Argentina
youtube.com/getreall
Joined 5261 days ago

240 posts - 371 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, English
Studies: Italian, Dutch

Message 24 of 72
23 October 2010 at 5:22am | IP Logged 
Splog wrote:
Now I have to work out how to get better at listening to mumbled slang with heavy accents.

I faced the same challenge when it came to sharpening my English listening comprehension. I recommend watching TV, not just fiction, but talk shows, i.e. live people. Also, listening to talk/news radio - extensively. Talk radio gives you a good balance between clear, but not stilted, voices, from the presenters (which sometimes also have a regional accent) and unfiltered, accented, untrained voices from the interviewees and callers. In addition to that, there's a good balance between colloquial and 'technical' vocabulary. When I started listening to American radio, I found my listening comprehension improved significantly within the year.

Given enough exposure, you can get used to any accent. The first time I watched 'No country for old men', at times I felt like my ears were drowning in a sea of West Texas mumbled cowboy speech. The third or fourth time I watched it, I could understand it. Keep on truckin'.

This discussion contains 72 messages over 9 pages: << Prev 1 24 5 6 7 8 9  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version