Czech Republic
anthonylauder.c
Joined 5458 days ago

1062 posts - 3263 votes 
Speaks: English*, Czech
Studies: Mandarin

Message 25 of 72
03 November 2010 at 7:41pm | IP Logged 
Today, I took another exam at the University, and it was a greater disaster than even
the previous one. Part of the problem is that I was a bundle of nerves (it has been
decades since I had to sit an exam). To be honest, though, the main problem was the
test was simply too difficult for me.

So, most likely, my time in the conversation class will come to a premature end, and I
will be relegated to one of the "heavy focus on grammar" groups below.

Not that this matters, since I have learned that at the end of next month, the other
three students in my class are dropping out. Understandably, having just me as the only
student in the conversation class makes no sense (who would I talk with?), plus it will
not be financially viable for the university.

Others have applied to join, so there is a glimmer of hope, but so far none have passed
the entrance exam.

At this point, I am crossing my fingers that I am allowed to stay, and that others will
manage to pass the entrance exam and join the group. Otherwise, it will simply cease to
exist, which would be a great shame.

On a more positive note, the past two months have been an incredible experience, and I
have learned a great deal. So, I am satisfied no matter what happens next.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Splog
Diglot
Czech Republic
anthonylauder.c
Joined 5458 days ago

1062 posts - 3263 votes 

Message 26 of 72
09 November 2010 at 3:10pm | IP Logged 
Well, to my astonishment, I actually passed the exam. I hardly slept the night before
the exam (due to nerves), and didn't sleep at all on the day of the exam (due to terror
because of how hard the exam had been).

Straight after the exam the examiners told me I had done badly. I took this to mean a
failure. Imagine my surprise, then, when I found out they meant I had passed, but only
just. Well, a pass is a pass - so I celebrated with a bottle of wine :-)

Additionally, I made it through several rounds of the national speech competition, and
in two weeks am competing in the finals. After initially thinking it was a waste of
time, I found I actually enjoyed the earlier rounds, and am now looking forward to the
finals. At the very least it will be a good opportunity to see the abilities of the
finalists from other parts of the country.

Finally, I promised to focus this log on "lessons learned", so here goes:

I have learned that I have almost no natural talent for languages. Two of my classmates
claim they do no work outside of the classroom, whereas I am having to put in several
hours a day of independent study just to keep pace with them. This shows that hard work
can indeed compensate for lack of talent, which is very handy for me. Still, I wish I
had a better memory and that I didn't need to lie down sweating at the end of each day
of lessons.

The second realisation I am having is that the more you learn of a languagae, the more
you realise there remains ahead of you. I used to think my first goal would be to
"break the spine" of a language, whereas now I feel I have just clipped its toenails.
The immensity of what lies ahead is almost overwhelming. So, language learning really
can be (and maybe has to be) a journey of continuous and never-ending improvement. It
is a good job I enjoy it, otherwise that could be pretty depressing.
4 persons have voted this message useful

schoenewaelder
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5349 days ago

759 posts - 1197 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: German, Spanish, Dutch

Message 27 of 72
09 November 2010 at 3:55pm | IP Logged 
Splog wrote:
I used to think my first goal would be to
"break the spine" of a language, whereas now I feel I have just clipped its toenails.

Brilliant. You definitely deserve to pass all your exams and/or win the competition for that alone.

I'm still trying to wrestle language into the chair, and getting badly scratched.

Edited by schoenewaelder on 09 November 2010 at 3:57pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Splog
Diglot
Czech Republic
anthonylauder.c
Joined 5458 days ago

1062 posts - 3263 votes 

Message 28 of 72
18 November 2010 at 9:44pm | IP Logged 
I always thought I had a pretty good grasp on numbers in Czech. Yet, for three full
days this week, we have focused almost exclusively on numbers at University.

It is mind boggling how immense and how complicated the whole area is. Whole books
could be written on the subject. The professors are pretty smart, and every time we
students thought we had a good handle on the intricacies of things they would throw
some new complication at us.

One good side effect it that rather than words buzzing around in my head all day, for
most of this week it has been numbers buzzing around - in all sorts of complicated
forms. The result is that I can now do quite complicated juggling with numbers in Czech
about as quickly as I can in English. I just hope this ability doesn't fade too
quickly.

On a completely different topic, I am (at long last) figuring out the way I learn best.
The high demands at the university have focused my mind on pinning down what works for
me. I have slowly refined things down to a combination of methods which fit well
together, and really suit my very few strengths, whilst working around my very many
weaknesses. This means I am much more efficient at language learning than even, just,
six months ago.

It does feel like there has been a "breakthrough" in my brain, and now there is sort
of a well oiled machine, rather than a brain full of quicksand that was dragging me
down. It sense of efficiency has filled me with greater energy and greater optimism.

Of course, pride comes before a fall, and every day I am still humbled by the other
students in the class. I would say I am now keeping pace with them, but as mentioned
above I am having to put in many hours per day to do so, whereas they claim they don't
do any study outside of the university. Still, now that my "language learning machine"
is pretty well oiled, the long hours are less of a chore, and are actually producing
visible results.

All in all, when I first started learning, I was crawling up a hill. Until about six
months ago, I was walking at a moderate pace. Nowadays, I am jogging comfortably. Not
running at breakneck speed, but then, as people often say, language learning is a
marathon and not a sprint. So, I am in the for the longhaul, and am now happy with the
sustainability of my current pace.

Edited by Splog on 18 November 2010 at 9:53pm

Splog
Diglot
Czech Republic
anthonylauder.c
Joined 5458 days ago

1062 posts - 3263 votes 

Message 29 of 72
23 November 2010 at 8:45pm | IP Logged 
On Thursday, I participate in the public speaking finals mentioned above.

Having seen me in earlier rounds of the competition, one of the more senior professors
at my University complained "You are not using many cultivated words in the
presentation"

I replied "If you mean 'fancy' and 'rare' and 'complicated' words then I have
deliberately omitted them, since I want the audience to understand what I am saying
rather than show off that I know words they do not know"

Her reply "You are representing our University, and I want the other Universities to
see that our students are highly cultivated"

As a result, and somewhat against my wishes, I have changed my presentation so that
instead of using the Czech equivalents of words like "and then" I will now be saying
things like "whereupon".

Knowing "fancy" words is certainly useful, but actually using those words to "impress"
others isn't going to impress at all. Although this may make the folks from my
university beam with pride, I feel it will alienate the audience.

Alas, University professors (at least at my University) do not seem to accept George
Orwell's advice to "Never use a long word where a short one will do"
5 persons have voted this message useful

Teango
Triglot
Winner TAC 2010 & 2012
United States
teango.wordpress.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5345 days ago

2210 posts - 3734 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Russian
Studies: Hawaiian, French, Toki Pona

Message 30 of 72
23 November 2010 at 10:21pm | IP Logged 
Trust your instincts, Splog, and go with that! You've managed to make it to the finals under your own steam so far, which is really fantastic, so take what this disgruntled station master says with a pinch of coaldust. We're all proud of you here!
2 persons have voted this message useful

Splog
Diglot
Czech Republic
anthonylauder.c
Joined 5458 days ago

1062 posts - 3263 votes 

Message 31 of 72
27 November 2010 at 1:30pm | IP Logged 
I did not win in the public speaking finals. Alas, I came fourth. There was one
finalist (a woman from the Ukraine) who was certainly better than me, and I believe she
should have won. Strangely, she received a lower placing than I.

The person who won, on the other hand, did not speak Czech well, and was reading from a
script. I was pleased for her that she won, but puzzled by how the judges made their
decision.

Particularly irritating was that after the competition, I was asked to translate
between Czech and English for the winner, since the professors could not speak English
well, and the winner had limited Czech abilities.

Despite those irritations, the event itself was quite enjoyable, and it was held in a
rather attractive town, with a pleasant castle, which I visited in the afternoon.

Now that the competition is behind me, I can focus completely on my university studies.
We spent an interesting afternoon yesterday at the University discussing religion. As
mentioned earlier, one of my classmates is a catholic priest, and it was most enjoyable
explaining to him the principles of my own religion (buddhism).

Furthermore, the Japanese lady in the group is a Zen buddhist, so we had a lively
discussion on how that differers from my own branch of buddhism.

Trying to explain the four noble truths, the eightfold path, and then debating the
reality of experiences, certainly exercised my linguistic abilities. It is fun days
like those that remind me why I returned to university.

schoenewaelder
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5349 days ago

759 posts - 1197 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: German, Spanish, Dutch

Message 32 of 72
27 November 2010 at 3:14pm | IP Logged 
A bit late I'm afraid (actually I'm sure I mentioned it on this forum somewhere previously) but there used to be a Polish academic who wrote in the Guardian blogs the most horrible tortuous English, and was roundly criticised by the commentators. She explained that in Polish, it is normal to show the level of your skill in a language by making it (I probably misparaphrase) as complicated as you are capable. Maybe the same applies in Czech.

1 person has voted this message useful

This discussion contains 72 messages over 9 pages: << Prev 1 2 35 6 7 8 9  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version