Joined 5459 days ago

1062 posts - 3263 votes 
Speaks: English*, Czech
Studies: Mandarin

Message 42 of 72
25 February 2011 at 9:10pm | IP Logged 
Kuikentje wrote:
Is your wife Czech?

She is indeed. The problem, though, is that she works very long hours (she is a political
journalist) - and I would estimate (without exaggeration) that we probably see each other
for about eight hours per week - and out of that our total "talking time" is probably
less than two hours per week. I wish things were different - since it would be a great
advantage - alas, it is not.
1 person has voted this message useful

Splog
Diglot
Czech Republic
anthonylauder.c
Joined 5459 days ago

1062 posts - 3263 votes 

Message 44 of 72
26 February 2011 at 4:40pm | IP Logged 
This weekend, there is a conference in Prague for teachers of Czech as a foreign
language. I was invited by the organisers, to represent students. So, I found myself
upon the podium in front of a large audience.

The main theme of the conference is that Czech almost consists of two languages: the
written form (also used for formal speech) and the colloquial form (used among friends
and in very informal settings). There are quite a few morphological differences between
the two, and quite a lot of vocabulary differences too. It is quite common to meet
somebody who can only speak one variant and is completely lost upon hearing the other.

Now, the majority of students are taught only the written language. This causes some
students to become agitated when they are then among friends in the pub, and cannot
understand a thing that is being said. The reverse is also the case: I have met quite a
few people who are Czech by birth, but moved overseas with their family and at home
spoke colloquial Czech their whole lives, and now struggle with the formal variant.

The conference, then, is asking "Should we teach students colloquial Czech?"

So, up at the podium, I introduced myself, and then had about twenty minutes of
questions from the audience. I explained my position up front:

"Moje hledisko je, že spisovná čeština je pevná kotva jazyka a obecná čeština je
dekorace"

(in English) "My perspective is that formal czech is the fixed anchor of the language
and colloquial czech is decoration"

This received a round of wild applause from most of the teachers, so it soon became
clear where the mood lay. Only one professor seemed agitated, and she stood up
declaring that (english translation) "Czech needs two anchors because it is a large
ship"

I replied "Ale jsem jenom malý člun a potřebuju jenom jednu"

(translation) "But I am just a little boat and need only one"

It got a laugh from the audience, and the organiser said "That will go in the
proceedings of the conference!"

What I learned from this is professors are not in the mood to teach the informal spoken
language, and I agree with them. It is hard enough learning the formal language. Plus,
as I also pointed out to them: the informal language changes very rapidly in comparison
to the formal. So, by the time you created a syllabus, textbook, and then started
teaching, the content would likely to out of fashion. The best place to learn the
informal language is in the pub with friends.

Edited by Splog on 27 February 2011 at 8:59pm

8 persons have voted this message useful

Thatzright
Diglot
Finland
Joined 5462 days ago

202 posts - 311 votes 
Speaks: Finnish*, English
Studies: French, Swedish, German, Russian

Message 45 of 72
27 February 2011 at 4:03pm | IP Logged 
What an interesting read this has been so far! I've read through all of it today and must say that I am very impressed with your abilities in Czech (even though you've only written a few sentences in the language in this topic - but it must be very high since you're conversing all day in Czech) and how far you've come in this challenging language. This combined with your sometimes quite humorous (although I'm sure they don't seem quite as humorous when they're taking place!) shortcomings and even greater triumphs makes for a very entertaining peek into the world of full immersion in a language. All the best for you as your university studies continue!

Splog
Diglot
Czech Republic
anthonylauder.c
Joined 5459 days ago

1062 posts - 3263 votes 

Message 46 of 72
02 March 2011 at 4:07pm | IP Logged 
I had a bizarre discussion with one of the professors today: I used a certain phrase and
she asked how I knew it, to which I replied "from a dictionary". In front of the other
students she them announced "Please don't use dictionaries and other materials. If you
have questions about anything, then ask me. If you keep looking in dictionaries then I
may as well go home."

It was astonishing. How can a professor see themselves as threatened by a dictionary? My
attitude is that they should be encouraging students to become as self sufficient as
possible, and act more as guides and consultants as needed.

Needless to say, I shall be completely ignoring her advice.

Edited by Splog on 02 March 2011 at 4:12pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

Andrew C
Diglot
United Kingdom
naturalarabic.com
Joined 4980 days ago

205 posts - 350 votes 
Speaks: English*, Arabic (Written)

Message 47 of 72
02 March 2011 at 4:37pm | IP Logged 
Splog wrote:

It was astonishing. How can a professor see themselves as threatened by a dictionary?

I agree - totally ridiculous.

Also I think this also is a crazy comment from your teachers:
Splog wrote:
The professors reckon we have now learned all there is to know about standard Czech,
and therefore we are moving on to various dialects of the language.

I teach English to foreign students and have never met one who "knows all there is" about standard English or even gets close. I don't know the importance of Czech dialects, but I wouldn't dream of teaching students English dialects, except for a bit of fun.

Edited by Andrew C on 02 March 2011 at 4:39pm

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5171 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 
Speaks: English, French*, GermanC1, Spanish, Japanese, Esperanto
Studies: Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Estonian

Message 48 of 72
04 March 2011 at 4:54pm | IP Logged 
Splog wrote:
In front of the other
students she them announced "Please don't use dictionaries and other materials. If you have questions about anything, then ask me. If you keep looking in dictionaries then I may as well go home."

She's pretty much established that that's where she belongs.

After all, what's the future of teachers if students keep improving?

This discussion contains 72 messages over 9 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 57 8 9  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version