bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5171 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 
Speaks: English, French*, GermanC1, Spanish, Japanese, Esperanto
Studies: Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Estonian

Message 49 of 72
04 March 2011 at 5:27pm | IP Logged 
Splog wrote:
The best place to learn the informal language is in the pub with friends.

I'm confused: weren't you just saying that teachers should seek to help students become self-sufficient? Now, you seem to be saying that they should decide what part of reality students need to be self-sufficient in.

I used to get students that had studied French for many years and most would complain that they couldn't understand anything when they heard people talk on the bus, etc. Grant it, such students had perhaps not done their homework -- namely go out and expose themselves to the real world --, but I couldn't honestly reach any other conclusion than that their teachers had failed to provide them with the basic tools necessary to understand spoken French – the tools to make them self-sufficient.

How well did the teacher do if he couldn't even get his students to understand what's said to them in natural language after many years of study?

As a student, I don't want anyone deciding for me what parts of reality I should be ignoring. Teach me what I need to express myself and to understand people as they naturally explain the world around them. That's the real language.

1 person has voted this message useful

Splog
Diglot
Czech Republic
anthonylauder.c
Joined 5459 days ago

1062 posts - 3263 votes 
Speaks: English*, Czech
Studies: Mandarin

Message 50 of 72
04 March 2011 at 8:10pm | IP Logged 
Arekkusu wrote:
Splog wrote:
The best place to learn the informal language is in the
pub with friends.

I'm confused: weren't you just saying that teachers should seek to help students become
self-sufficient? Now, you seem to be saying that they should decide what part of
reality students need to be self-sufficient in.

Sorry if I made myself unclear. My argument is that the informal language is not best
taught in the classroom, since: (1) it changes too quickly for textbooks and teachers
to keep up; (2) it can distract the student from formal Czech. When I said informal
Czech in best learned "in the pub" I meant that the best way to pick it up and keep
track of it as it continually evolves is by exposure in real life, with "real people"
outside the classroom.

In fact, I was part of an experiment last year where the university used my class as
guinea pigs and tried to teach us informal Czech for a while. The morphological part
was very interesting, but the vocabulary and idioms were clearly out of date (even to
me). When I asked Czech friends about some of them, they said "that is the kind of
stuff my grandmother would say, but nobody younger than 40 would ever use those
expressions".

It reminds me a little of when I was living in Luxembourg, and a co-worker, keen to
practice some "cool" English phrase he had learned with a native speaker said bizarre
things such as "Hey, man, want to split your pad and cruise for some foxy kittens?"

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5171 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 

Message 51 of 72
04 March 2011 at 8:53pm | IP Logged 
It is certainly possible to integrate, within a teaching regimen, formal language and the grammar and vocabulary of modern spoken language.

The fact that some textbooks are 40 years behind their time doesn't mean it shouldn't or can't be done. If it's hard to do, then that's the teachers' challenge. In any case, all students would benefit from a course that could integrate both aspects of the language.

For instance, in spoken Québec French, instead of saying

"est-il fatigué" [is he tired], people commonly say

"y est-tu fatigué", where "tu" is a question marker that happens to look like the word for "you".

If you say the latter to students, all students will inevitably assume you asked "are you tired". It's a very basic element of spoken QF and you'll be hard pressed to find a teacher who teaches that, on the basis that it's not proper French. But it's real French.

Mooby
Scotland
Joined 5895 days ago

707 posts - 1219 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Polish

Message 52 of 72
04 March 2011 at 8:57pm | IP Logged 
"Hey, man, want to split your pad and cruise for some foxy kittens?"

That made me smile, very 60's....early 70's
Only fourty years out of date !!

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5171 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 

Message 53 of 72
04 March 2011 at 9:03pm | IP Logged 
Mooby wrote:
"Hey, man, want to split your pad and cruise for some foxy kittens?"

That made me smile, very 60's....early 70's
Only fourty years out of date !!

Sounds like a fun evening, literally or figuratively!

Splog
Diglot
Czech Republic
anthonylauder.c
Joined 5459 days ago

1062 posts - 3263 votes 
Speaks: English*, Czech
Studies: Mandarin

Message 54 of 72
05 March 2011 at 8:04am | IP Logged 
Arekkusu wrote:
It is certainly possible to integrate, within a teaching regimen,
formal language and the grammar and vocabulary of modern spoken language.

The fact that some textbooks are 40 years behind their time doesn't mean it shouldn't
or can't be done. If it's hard to do, then that's the teachers' challenge. In any case,
all students would benefit from a course that could integrate both aspects of the
language.

For instance, in spoken Québec French, instead of saying

"est-il fatigué" [is he tired], people commonly say

"y est-tu fatigué", where "tu" is a question marker that happens to look like the word
for "you".

If you say the latter to students, all students will inevitably assume you asked "are
you tired". It's a very basic element of spoken QF and you'll be hard pressed to find a
teacher who teaches that, on the basis that it's not proper French. But it's real
French.

I understand what you are saying, and I would agree that with French, English, Spanish,
well, pretty much most languages, this is certainly not a major challenge.

Czech, though, has a different history. The language was forbidden by law for several
hundreds of years of occupation. People were forced to write and speak in German.
Czech, then, was only used among people at home, and even then was often only used
among less educated people. The result is that for several hundred years, regional
dialects evolved quite separately, and over those hundreds of years these dialects
changed quite dramatically from the "forbidden" standard variant of the language.

When the language became legal again, the formal language was reintroduced
and it was several hundred years out of step with the colloquial language. This remains
the same today.

It is very ill mannered to use the colloquial variant in shops, on the bus, at the post
office, with teachers. Well, pretty much with anybody apart from your closest friends
and family.

In fact, the colloquial variant is sometimes used as a form of insult to somebody you
do not know well: showing them that you do not respect them enough to use the formal
variant. It can also be a sign of being ill educated - so a foreigner speaking
colloquial czech at the wrong time will tend to be looked down on. Formal Czech, on the
other hand, it always safe.

To understand the situation better, imagine if with French, all letters and
spoken communication outside the home were in medieval french, whereas the current
modern version were used only among family and the closest of friends .

Edited by Splog on 05 March 2011 at 8:09am

3 persons have voted this message useful

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6493 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 55 of 72
05 March 2011 at 10:19pm | IP Logged 
Splog wrote:
To understand the situation better, imagine if with French, all letters and spoken communication outside the home were in medieval french, whereas the current

Well isn't it like that in France?

Ok, it was a joke. The French don't hark back to Ancien François as spoken by Hugues Capet, but only to the kind of French that was spoken in the 17. century by Richelieu.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5171 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 

Message 56 of 72
06 March 2011 at 2:47am | IP Logged 
Splog wrote:
I understand what you are saying, and I would agree that with
French, English, Spanish,
well, pretty much most languages, this is certainly not a major challenge.

Czech, though, has a different history. The language was forbidden by law for several
hundreds of years of occupation. People were forced to write and speak in German.
Czech, then, was only used among people at home, and even then was often only used
among less educated people. The result is that for several hundred years, regional
dialects evolved quite separately, and over those hundreds of years these dialects
changed quite dramatically from the "forbidden" standard variant of the language.

When the language became legal again, the formal language was reintroduced
and it was several hundred years out of step with the colloquial language. This remains
the same today.

It is very ill mannered to use the colloquial variant in shops, on the bus, at the post
office, with teachers. Well, pretty much with anybody apart from your closest friends
and family.

In fact, the colloquial variant is sometimes used as a form of insult to somebody you
do not know well: showing them that you do not respect them enough to use the formal
variant. It can also be a sign of being ill educated - so a foreigner speaking
colloquial czech at the wrong time will tend to be looked down on. Formal Czech, on the
other hand, it always safe.

To understand the situation better, imagine if with French, all letters and
spoken communication outside the home were in medieval french, whereas the current

I understand, from what you are saying, that the situation is not the same as French.
Nevertheless, "friends and family" certainly qualifies as an important part of language
use. The fact that it would be rude to use colloquial Czech in the wrong place or with
the wrong people shouldn't imply that students shouldn't know it for fear of using it
wrongly.

Anyway, I'm sorry I've kind of hijacked your blog; I didn't mean to.

This discussion contains 72 messages over 9 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 68 9  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version