Shokhn
Australia
Joined 4881 days ago

11 posts - 11 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Dutch, Yiddish, Modern Hebrew

Message 65 of 172
16 December 2010 at 1:38pm | IP Logged 
I've been learning Dutch for 18 months and desperately want some Dutch conversation! I'm tired of the apathy of the internet in which nobody really connects with each other. I'm passionate and energetic and am more than interested in joining if there will be some sort of community involved.
1 person has voted this message useful

marvelgirll
United States
Joined 4929 days ago

37 posts - 37 votes
Studies: Dutch, Arabic (classical), Arabic (Levantine)

Message 66 of 172
16 December 2010 at 9:29pm | IP Logged 
egill wrote:

Participants:
1. Sprachprofi
2. amuzulo
3. doviende
4. Noriyuki_nomura
5. Vini
6. ellasevia
7. Omenapuu00
8. rad
9. --Romanist-- (no longer in)
10. b.reeze
11. J.S.
12. Hakan D
13. polyglossia
14. egill
15. marvelgirll

Might participate:
Volte

Dutch help:
ReneeMona

I posted earlier in the thread but I just wanted to make sure that I'm on the list!
Hope that's okay.

doviende
Diglot
Canada
languagefixatio
Joined 5774 days ago

533 posts - 1245 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Spanish, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Hindi, Swedish, Portuguese

Message 67 of 172
17 December 2010 at 10:37am | IP Logged 
At the end of the challenge, it won't be the names on the starting list that matter, it'll be those who actually participate.

Speaking of which, perhaps we could use this thread as a group log. I suggest we post interesting words and phrases that we find, and maybe a weekly summary of our work, along with what books we're reading, etc. I'm planning to also post a list of useful Dutch words to practice active skills with, once I've created it.

Currently I'm just spending a little time gathering the materials I'll need in January. Despite my knowledge of German, Dutch spelling, pronunciation, and vocabulary still seem quite foreign to me, so I know I'll have to do a lot of reading in January to fix that.

polyglossia
FranceRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5192 days ago

205 posts - 255 votes 
Speaks: French*

Message 68 of 172
17 December 2010 at 4:46pm | IP Logged 
doviende wrote:

Speaking of which, perhaps we could use this thread as a group log.

I agree, since we all know where to find this thread !!!

thistledown
United Kingdom
Joined 4952 days ago

14 posts - 38 votes

Message 69 of 172
17 December 2010 at 9:49pm | IP Logged 
Regarding parallel texts, I have De Hobbit on CD and have just ordered the book from bol.com.

http://www.bol.com/nl/p/nederlandse-boeken/de-hobbit/1001004 006475060/index.html

If you look at the Inkijkexemplaar tag and click on the example pages they match the CD, so I'm hoping that the entire text is similarly unabridged. I should get the book in the next few days.

A useful online shop for downloads is Luisterrijk http://www.luisterrijk.nl

The older childrens' books e.g. De Wind in De Wilgen are about my level and great fun.

ETV.nl has various 'public service' type programmes aimed at immigrants, or those with low literacy skills.

http://www.etv.nl/index.cfm?act=programma.tonen

I found that programmes such Taalklas and Woordwijzer were clearly presented, if somewhat dated.

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5169 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 
Speaks: English, French*, GermanC1, Spanish, Japanese, Esperanto
Studies: Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Estonian

Message 70 of 172
17 December 2010 at 10:08pm | IP Logged 
I keep thinking about taking part in the challenge, but my (emotional?) involvement with Japanese is such that I fear that this would either hurt my Japanese or not let me do the challenge to my fullest.

Nevertheless, I have the conviction that this feeling is unjustified and irrational.

Anyone else dealing with similar anxiety?

Edited by Arekkusu on 17 December 2010 at 10:27pm

tommus
CanadaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5654 days ago

979 posts - 1688 votes 
Studies: Dutch, French, Esperanto, German, Spanish

Message 71 of 172
18 December 2010 at 2:21am | IP Logged 
thistledown wrote:
A useful online shop for downloads is Luisterrijk http://www.luisterrijk.nl

In my experience, Luisterrijk is a very good shop. I just downloaded the audiobook "Soldaat van Oranje" from them on the recommendation of an HTLAL member.

HOWEVER.
I have the paper version of "Soldaat van Oranje 40-45" which I believe is the "standard" version of the book. Much to my disappointment, the 10 hours and 19 minutes of the audio is massively NOT parallel with my book. It jumps all over the place. Chapter 2 in the audio has big parts of Chapter 3 in the book followed by severely changed parts of Chapter 2. I tried a few more chapters. A paragraph here and there is exactly the same, but it is virtually impossible to find the text for the audio in almost everything I've tried so far. There appear to be three or four versions of "Soldaat van Oranje" but it boggles the mind to think that there could be such massive differences between versions and/or audio versions. This is the reason that I suggested that people post on HTLAL books and audio books, including versions, that they KNOW to be exactly parallel.

tommus
CanadaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5654 days ago

979 posts - 1688 votes 
Studies: Dutch, French, Esperanto, German, Spanish

Message 72 of 172
19 December 2010 at 11:39pm | IP Logged 
For the January Challenge, in addition to my regular Dutch studies, I am going to do something very different and very out-of-character for me. I am going to listen to Dutch songs. I rarely listen to songs in any language but I just stumbled upon a Dutch country singer on Radio Netherlands Wereldomroep (Onderweg) who may be a game-changer for me. His name is Henk Wijngaard and I find his songs to be very clear and easy to understand. The lyrics are simple and clear, mostly written about his days as a truck driver. It seems that just about all his songs are readily available on YouTube and most of the lyrics are available on these two sites:

http://www.musicfrom.nl/songteksten/wijngaard,_henk/
http://www.nomorelyrics.net/nl/Henk_Wijngaard-songteksten.ht ml

He is a very interesting person with a unique life story. He was born in 1946. His mother was a refuge from France. His father was a Canadian World War II soldier.

http://www.henkwijngaard.com/biografie.htm

So as part of my January Dutch Challenge, I plan to listen to as many of Henk Wijngaard's songs as possible. There are over 80 on YouTube, and most of the lyrics seem to be available.

This discussion contains 172 messages over 22 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 810 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version