Austria
Joined 5242 days ago

67 posts - 87 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: Mandarin

Message 89 of 95
02 January 2011 at 12:48am | IP Logged 
Lingalang wrote:
My goal for the first half of the year, the duration of my stay in Austria, is to learn
as much German as I possibly can. im very opptimistic about this goal, Ive learned so
much in last 4 months, and I still have 6 more to go.

Where exactly do you go?

My goals are:
- English. I learned it at school and was quite satisfied until recently, but there's still a lot of unknown vocabulary for me. And instead of just passively learn through some movies or books I want to acively make progress.

- Chinese. Studying it since October, so I'm still kinda new to it although we make a nice progress (I think). I want to get the grammar concepts as well as building sentences. -> In the excercises articles pop out of nowhere etc.

- Latin. I have to know it by the end of my studies. I am not really that interested into it, but I think it could be useful because of many derivations in English and German. But no rush here.

- Japanese. Definitely want to learn it, I just don't know if it's the right time, when I'm still bad at Chinese. I'll give it a shot and then decide.

1 person has voted this message useful

Lingalang
Diglot
United States
Joined 4887 days ago

10 posts - 13 votes
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Italian, Mandarin

Message 90 of 95
02 January 2011 at 11:47pm | IP Logged 
Tropi wrote:
Where exactly do you go?

What exactly do you mean? I go to a school here and out with friends alot. Its great
german practice, the whole point of immersion I suppose.

Matheus
Brazil
Joined 4892 days ago

208 posts - 312 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*
Studies: English, French

Message 91 of 95
03 January 2011 at 12:00am | IP Logged 
Lingalang wrote:
Tropi wrote:
Where exactly do you go?

What exactly do you mean? I go to a school here and out with friends alot. Its great
german practice, the whole point of immersion I suppose.

I think that he was asking in which city you are there in Austria.

MäcØSŸ
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5620 days ago

259 posts - 392 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, EnglishC2
Studies: German

Message 92 of 95
03 January 2011 at 1:58pm | IP Logged 
Since I didn’t achieve almost anything in 2010, I’ll radically switch my focus from quantity to quality.
This year I want to study ONLY Mandarin with simplified characters. I don’t know how much I’ll achieve though,
because I’m dealing with a lot of problems right now (last year of high school, identity crises, depression, social
anxiety, starting university, moving to a foreign country and being in love with my best friend whose boyfriend is
also a good friend of mine).
If 2011 doesn’t kill me, nothing will...

Edited by MäcØSŸ on 03 January 2011 at 1:58pm

jazzboy.bebop
Norway
norwegianthroughnove
Joined 5229 days ago

439 posts - 800 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Norwegian

Message 93 of 95
03 January 2011 at 3:23pm | IP Logged 
I want to get to a comfortable conversational standard in Norwegian by July to coincide
with my next trip to Norway. Hoping to be at about B2 standard by then. I've not really
worked as hard in 2010 as I was planning to but my Christmas visit to Norway has greatly
strengthened my desire and acquiring some new books always helps. :)

As for my Japanese, finish off the first Remembering the Kanji book around the middle of
March, do the JLPT N5 test and learn as much as I can prior to starting a Japanese degree
in September, assuming I get accepted into either of the three universities I applied to.

Edited by jazzboy.bebop on 03 January 2011 at 3:24pm

Qbe
Tetraglot
United States
joewright.org/var
Joined 6946 days ago

289 posts - 335 votes 
Speaks: English*, Latin, Ancient Greek, Biblical Hebrew
Studies: Japanese, German, Mandarin, Aramaic

Message 94 of 95
03 January 2011 at 5:56pm | IP Logged 
Calendar year 2010 was almost a complete loss for me. I spoke a total of 5 minutes of Japanese all year and spent about as much time studying. Spent a few hours each on Greek, Hebrew, Latin and Syriac, but that's about all. It was a sad year.

This year will be different. It's time to get back in the saddle.

Meta: This ADD/ADHD thing isn't working out well for me. I'd like to do some research on using it to my advantage in language learning (and elsewhere), rather than having it work against me.

Japanese: this is my primary learning task for the year. The last 2 years have been pretty slack. I'm going to review (quickly) what I've already studied and work toward useful conversation and basic reading level. I moved to the Chicago area last year partly for better access to the large Japanese community, bookstores, etc. Now it's time to take advantage of that. It'd be great to find a job where I can use it too.

Latin, Greek, Hebrew: I want to review what I once knew and improve my reading level in these.

Syriac: I've had an on-again/off-again relationship with Syriac for a long time. This year I want to get past chapter 1 of Thackston's "Introduction to Syriac" (finally).

Flirtation: This year I'll take a few side trips into new territory. The difficulty and slow pace of Japanese study has tempted me to spend a little time in an easier language to remind myself that I'm not completely stupid. Russian has been an interest since I was 15; Norwegian has been tempting me since I reread Farber last month; Polish has been tempting me since I've realized how many immigrants live in my area. Mandarin/Cantonese/Vietnamese have been calling for a long time, despite the fact that they're going to be just as difficult as Japanese.

Computer: I've been a Perl programmer since 1999, but haven't done so well at keeping up with current trends over the past 2 years. I'm planning to read "Modern Perl" and finish "Higher Order Perl", as well as learn more Moose. I'm also going to learn Common Lisp (finally) and use it for a real project.

Whew. It's going to be a busy year.

Raчraч Ŋuɲa
Triglot
New Zealand
Joined 5629 days ago

154 posts - 233 votes 
Speaks: Bikol languages*, Tagalog, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, Russian, Japanese

Message 95 of 95
04 January 2011 at 7:20am | IP Logged 
My goals for 2011 are:

1. Finish C#, SQL and ASP by June.
2. Complete my project on Spanish and English word/collocation databases.
3. Start working on Spanish tutorial application.
4. Dabble in Russian to reduce boredom in Spanish.

Hopefully, this all get done.

Edited by Raчraч Ŋuɲa on 04 January 2011 at 7:28am

This discussion contains 95 messages over 12 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version