United States
Joined 5349 days ago

31 posts - 56 votes 
Speaks: Spanish, English*, Dutch, Portuguese, Afrikaans
Studies: French, German, Italian, Russian, Norwegian, Japanese, Scottish Gaelic

Message 9 of 95
10 December 2010 at 7:24am | IP Logged 
Here are my goals for the upcoming year:

Norwegian: Go from a very superficial "phrasebooky" knowledge of the language to a B2 level. I'm not sure how much of a stretch that will be, but I think that, for now at least, it's a good goal to work towards.

Italian: My goal for Italian is the same as for Norwegian: to reach a B2 level, starting as a "false beginner".

Scottish Gaelic and Japanese: These are my minor study languages and, as such, I don't have any specific goals in mind. Ideally I would like to reach at least an A2 level in
both, but with both Norwegian and Italian on my plate in addition to the languages I study at school( French, German and Spanish) I'm not sure if these languages are going to get the attention I'd like to give them.

Afrikaans and Dutch: I'm essentially finished with my active study of these languages, but I think that I should make it a priority to both maintain and improve my knowledge of both of these languages.

I think that these goals are manageable, but I'm notoriously unorganized and prone to wanderlust, so we'll see how much progress I actually make.

Edited by Ncruz on 10 December 2010 at 7:29am

1 person has voted this message useful

thephantomgoat
Groupie
United States
Joined 5282 days ago

52 posts - 103 votes 

Message 10 of 95
10 December 2010 at 8:08am | IP Logged 
I have big goals for the following year and am looking forward to it.

Spanish: Maintain and strengthen my C1. To do this, I'll read at least six
novels (on my list so far are Unamuno's Niebla, García Márquez's La increíble
y triste historia de la cándida Eréndira y su abuela desalmada
, Allende's La
casa de los espíritus
, and Rivera's Y no se lo tragó la tierra); listen to a
news broadcast by BBC Mundo Radio every day; and seek out more advanced-level vocab
wherever possible. I also need to work on my grasp of idioms.

German: Attain C1. I'll be finishing my first novels in the language (I've
started--but never completed--reading Dürrenmatt's Der Richter und sein Henker
and Regener's Herr Lehmann, both of which are on my list); listening to news
broadcasts by the Deutsche Welle; learning slang and idioms with the Pukka German
podcast; and enjoying more German TV and music. I also need to improve my advanced
vocab, and that pertaining to everyday life, which for some reason I never really
picked up. :P

Mandarin: Attain A2 (perhaps B1?). I'll watch dramas, practice writing
characters every day, and find some cheesy teen novels to tear apart.

Polish: Attain A1. Get a good grip on basic grammar (past, present, and future
tense; all the declensions; stay strong with prepositions from the beginning) and
vocabulary. Find more authentic material I'm interested in in the language.

Turkish: If there's time, familiarize myself with basic vocabulary by creating a
small deck in Anki. And keep on rockin' out to my pop music.

For all my languages, I'll be working with Anki a lot. I'll make a point to think or
talk to myself in each of these throughout my day, and I'll strike up acquaintances
with some conversation partners. I want to memorize a poem in each of the languages I'm
actively studying, and I'm hoping that reciting it each time I switch studying from one
language to another will make the transition smoother on my brain. Reciting Bachmann's
"Dunkles zu sagen," for instance, would mark the transition from _____ to German. I'll
try to record my progress every few days, either in a log here or on my blog.

On a different-but-related note, 2011 will also be my year to start exercising again. I
haven't taken that time for myself this year, and I've noticed a huge difference in
terms of the amount of energy I have and my ability to focus.

Bring it on, 2011! :D

Edited for formatting.

Edited by thephantomgoat on 10 December 2010 at 8:12am

2 persons have voted this message useful

sabotai
United States
Joined 5693 days ago

391 posts - 489 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Japanese, Korean, French

Message 11 of 95
10 December 2010 at 8:24am | IP Logged 
Last year I made goals on what products I wanted to complete in a few different languages. I changed up pretty quickly and all of the goals I made before 2010 started were tossed aside.

My goals for 2011 will be very general. Continue working on German, French and Japanese is basically it. My time goals are 6 months of focusing on Japanese, 3 months of focusing on German and 3 months of focusing on French.

I don't plan to start any other languages, but I do want to "date" a few languages on the weekends when I have the time. Namely Korean and Russian. Possibly Spanish and Italian as well. I have the Teach Yourself books for Spanish, Italian and Russian, and I have Living Language Spoken World Korean (which is a bit similar to Teach Yourself). I think I'll give each of them a good once-through to give myself a basic understanding of the languages and some listening and reading exposure. I don't plan to study them intently, just listen to the dialogues a good number of times, read the explanations and then move on.

alang
Diglot
Canada
Joined 7032 days ago

563 posts - 757 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish

Message 12 of 95
10 December 2010 at 9:44am | IP Logged 
Well I bombed this year for my goals at the end of 2010.

New goals 2011 are:

Esperanto: Advanced fluency
Spanish: Intermediate fluency
French: Conversational

Edited by alang on 10 December 2010 at 9:49am

Teango
Triglot
Winner TAC 2010 & 2012
United States
teango.wordpress.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5367 days ago

2210 posts - 3734 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Russian
Studies: Hawaiian, French, Toki Pona

Message 13 of 95
10 December 2010 at 10:14am | IP Logged 
This year I reached basic fluency in German (although my writing skills probably still require a lot of work).

As side projects, I also managed to rack up consistent 90-95% reading comprehension scores in Spanish and Swedish with average to moderately difficult novels. I was particularly delighted to find afterwards that I could hold myself above water in conversations with my Spanish tutor for several 2-hour one-to-one sessions.

I've also put in some hours of Russian along the way, and hope to make further progress in reading by the end of the year.

Next year in 2011 I'd like to maintain my level of German to around C1, and reach basic fluency in Russian and Spanish as well.

Edited by Teango on 16 December 2010 at 9:46pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

Lucky Charms
Diglot
Japan
lapacifica.net
Joined 6760 days ago

752 posts - 1711 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: German, Spanish

Message 14 of 95
10 December 2010 at 10:15am | IP Logged 
Attain comfortable speaking/listening/reading/writing in German.

Attain low intermediate level in my new languages, Spanish and Persian - at least
enough to enjoy media and stumble through conversations.

Establish myself as a freelance translator for J->E, perhaps also for G->E.

Visit a country I haven't been to yet (the current plan is India in the spring).

Pay off my credit card debts to allow more time/money for travel and study.

I also have a few fitness- and health-related goals. I believe taking my wellbeing more
seriously will improve my concentration, outlook on life, and many other factors
tangentially related to language learning.

Teango
Triglot
Winner TAC 2010 & 2012
United States
teango.wordpress.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5367 days ago

2210 posts - 3734 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Russian
Studies: Hawaiian, French, Toki Pona

Message 15 of 95
10 December 2010 at 10:15am | IP Logged 
ellasevia wrote:
I hope that I don't bog myself down with even more language projects that I honestly don't have time for--keep wanderlust to a minimum!

Ellasevia - you're living the wanderlust dream already! Such great progress in the course of a year, and even more, I bet, to come in the next. :)

garyb
Triglot
ScotlandRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5018 days ago

1468 posts - 2413 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian, French
Studies: Spanish

Message 16 of 95
10 December 2010 at 11:58am | IP Logged 
French - Be fairly conversationally fluent by June: be able to understand most of what I hear and be able to express myself fairly easily with good pronunciation and without hesitation. Other than that I'd like to get to C1 level during the year (I'd say I'm about B1 at the moment) and do the exam. I reckon these goals are completely possible if and only if I start actually SPEAKING the language a hell of a lot more. To that end, I'm starting 1-to-1 lessons with a tutor in January, because the free methods (Skype, Meetup.com) just aren't cutting it.

Italian - get to an intermediate level (right now I can understand basic Italian quite well but I can't speak much and my vocabulary is very small). I reckon this will be quite easy because of the similarities with French, me being a more skilled language learner, and the fact that I've already covered the very basics. I'm very much focusing on French but once I get to the "conversationally fluent" level I described I'll make a serious start on Italian while continuing to improve my French.

After that I'd like to at least make a start in another language, most likely German, unless I feel a particular desire to take Italian to an advanced level.

This discussion contains 95 messages over 12 pages: << Prev 13 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version