Language Learning Forum : General discussion Post Reply
95 messages over 12 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 11 12 Next >>
maydayayday
Pentaglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5030 days ago

564 posts - 839 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Italian, SpanishB2, FrenchB2
Studies: Arabic (Egyptian), Russian, Swedish, Turkish, Polish, Persian, Vietnamese
Studies: Urdu

Message 81 of 95
30 December 2010 at 5:17pm | IP Logged 
maydayayday wrote:
Well. Having put some thought into this I'll say:

Take my C1/C2 Spanish exam (gulp) and have a 10,000 word working vocabulary.
Carry on with my Polish
Take my Swedish past the phrasebook plus vocabulary stage into native materials.

After that it depends on how my business requirements change.

In order of interest for me are
Improve my Italian (should be fairly pain free).
Continue revising Joyou Kanji (including the new ones)

But it will probably pan out that I improve my German

It feels a little odd to quote one's self but as I've just got off the phone with the guy who pays my wages it looks like my target languages for next year are
C1/C2 Spanish - he is Spanish and struggles with English.
Arabic - revision.
German - revision/improvement again.
These have a financial bonus attached :-)

So my private time subjects are to
Go beyond phrasebook/chit chat Polish
Go beyond phrasebook Swedish and learn to type

Learn at least two new scripts: devanagari and X

1 person has voted this message useful

Ubique1914
Triglot
England
Joined 5072 days ago

3 posts - 3 votes
Speaks: English*, Spanish, French
Studies: Portuguese, Mongolian

Message 82 of 95
30 December 2010 at 8:29pm | IP Logged 
For me I have a tough road ahead linguistically speaking:
French and Spanish: already pretty fluent in these and will continue studying them at
school, the latter I shall continue onto university
Portuguese: a very good level by the end of the year, will hopefully be studying it at
university but will maintain an interest nonetheless
Mongolian: as I'm headed there for four weeks next summer I should like to achieve a
decent level of fluency and which will hopefully act as a springboard to other
agglutinative languages
Chinese: I'm heading to Mongolia by way of China so am making good progress with
Mandarin, just need to perfect tones and keep at learning the characters so as to be
able to communicate in it in some form by the end of the year.
Dutch: possible university subject but would like to achieve basic fluency
Swedish/Danish: progression from the phrasebook/picking up the odd word in Wallander,
I've go the accent alright but just need to expand on both and have plenty of
resources to do so.

I should like to learn Devanagari, Hiragana and Katakana, as well as improving my
knowledge of the IPA, as well as a good part of the Xiàndài Hànyǔ Chángyòng Zìbiǎo.

sjheiss
Diglot
United States
Joined 5495 days ago

100 posts - 174 votes 
Speaks: English*, Basque

Message 83 of 95
31 December 2010 at 4:48am | IP Logged 
Basque: I would like to be at an equivalent level of B2 by the end of the year (I'm part way through A2 now). The grammar is no problem for me, and I'm learning it quickly and well, but vocabulary is my week point; I've never been good at learning a lot of words, especially using words actively, as opposed to just understanding them when reading something :x This year I'll start listening to the radio and watching TV shows, as those require a lot more vocabulary.

Latin: In probably a month or two I'll start reading the book "Fairy Tales in Latin", while continuing to learn through "Lingua Latīna per sē Illūstrāta: Familia Rōmāna", then continuing onto book two, "Rōma Aeterna", as well as reading Dē Bellō Gallicō and other original texts throughout the year.

Other languages: I am thinking about picking up a third language, although I am not entirely sure which. The ones I'm choosing between are Catalan and Latvian. Latvian I am in love with, but it's not exactly super useful. Same with Catalan, but if I move to the Basque country in the future, it would be pretty useful, being close to Catalonia.

Edited by sjheiss on 31 December 2010 at 5:42am

Olympus787
United States
Joined 4912 days ago

2 posts - 2 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Portuguese

Message 84 of 95
31 December 2010 at 10:20pm | IP Logged 
Main Target Languages
Greek - Attain an A1/A2 Intemdiate level in Modern Greek by the middle of the year (when I go to Greece for a vacation) and after coming back home push it to a B1 level by the end of the year.
Spanish - Attain a B1/B2 Basic Fluency level by the end of the year, and have spent a day around the city using Spanish as my prefered language.
Other Languages - I'm really looking forward to learning these languages but I'm going to hold off on focusing on these languages until 2012.
Turkish - Master phonetics, learn basic vocabulary and grammar, one month of main focus (probably August).
Mandarin - Master phonetics, learn basic vocabulary and grammar, one month of main focus (probably September).

Matheus
Brazil
Joined 4892 days ago

208 posts - 312 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*
Studies: English, French

Message 85 of 95
31 December 2010 at 11:32pm | IP Logged 
My goals below:

English: I had always contact with this language, since I was a preteen. I can communicate, but I still making the same mistakes that I ever made. I'm pretty good at reading but I still having to improve my writting and my listening. English have a lot of words which sounds almost the same, at least for my ear. Sounds like too, two, to, etc. I can understand 97% of all texts that I read, but unfortunately, when i'm going to write or say something, I always have a doubt if I'm saying the phrase correctly or not. There are a lot of words that I do not feel confident enough to use, that is why I have to still studying it. I think that if I cannot tune my guitar, I have a bad listening skill. I have never been to an English speaker country, in fact, it's stucking my knowledge, because I can only speak with other people by the web, most of times in messenger.

Japanese: Well, I never had a chance to go to Japan before, but I'm planning to travel there. I like to speak to other people in their mother tongue, so.. why not try learning Japanese? I know it is one of the most difficult languages of the world, but my goal is to learn the oral conversation only. It is not a big problem being illiterate as long as I can write in hiragana or katakana. Reading is another point, It would help to get fluency, but I have to try what I could achieve. I'm not such a lazy person, but my job fills all my day long. The Japanese language is really easy to pronounce, and even more for Brazilian Portuguese speakers. The vowels sounds are quite alike. Consonants as well. The only exception is "Chi", but we can easily say it by saying our word "ti" which sounds the same.

I wish you all a good new year and a beautiful celebrating time.

sjheiss
Diglot
United States
Joined 5495 days ago

100 posts - 174 votes 
Speaks: English*, Basque

Message 86 of 95
31 December 2010 at 11:58pm | IP Logged 
Matheus wrote:
My goals below:

English: I've had always contact with this language, since I was a preteen. I can communicate, but I still make the same mistakes that I've always made. I'm pretty good at reading but I still have to improve my writing and my listening. English has a lot of words which sound almost the same, at least to my ear. Words like too, two, to, etc. I can understand 97% of all texts that I read, but unfortunately, when I'm going to write or say something, I always doubt if I'm saying the phrase correctly or not. There are a lot of words that I do not feel confident enough to use, that is why I still have to study it. I think that if I cannot tune my guitar, I have a bad listening skill. I have never been to an English speaking country, in fact, it's stucking (???? I don't understand what you're trying to say here) my knowledge, because I can only speak with other people on the web, most of the time in a messenger.

Japanese: Well, I've never had a chance to go to Japan before, but I'm planning to travel there. I like to speak to other people in their mother tongue, so... why not try learning Japanese? I know it is one of the most difficult languages in the world, but my goal is to learn the spoken language only. It is not a big problem being illiterate as long as I can write in hiragana or katakana. Reading is another point, it would help to get fluency, but I have to try what I could achieve. I'm not such a lazy person, but my job fills my day up. The Japanese language is really easy to pronounce, and even more for Brazilian Portuguese speakers. The vowels sounds are quite alike. Consonants as well. The only exception is "Chi", but we can easily say it by saying our word "ti" which sounds the same.

I wish you all a good New Year and a beautiful celebration.

Since you said that you want to improve your English, I thought you'd appreciate some corrections. You write very well though, with only a couple mistakes. If there is anything I corrected, that you don't understand why I corrected it, feel free to PM me and I can help you more. :)

I think you would find Japanese much more useful if you could read it too, there's a ton of books in it, and websites and things! ;)

Matheus
Brazil
Joined 4892 days ago

208 posts - 312 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*
Studies: English, French

Message 87 of 95
01 January 2011 at 1:00am | IP Logged 
in fact, it's stucking (???? I don't understand what you're trying to say here) my knowledge,

Oh, I made this mistake because I was "thinking in Portuguese instead of English". I tried to say that I'm not completely fluent and confident in this language because I've never been in an English speaker country. I hope you will understand now.
Hehe, thanks for the corrections.

About the Japanese. I'm studying, or at least trying to study in my spare time, because I want to travel to Japan and be able to have conversations with all them. Maybe live there, who knows?. I do not care too much about reading because I do not like mangas, animes, and all Japanese stuff. I'm in love with Japanese girls, that's why I want to go there, hehe. But I will try reading as well.

Lingalang
Diglot
United States
Joined 4887 days ago

10 posts - 13 votes
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Italian, Mandarin

Message 88 of 95
02 January 2011 at 12:34am | IP Logged 
My goal for the first half of the year, the duration of my stay in Austria, is to learn
as much German as I possibly can. im very opptimistic about this goal, Ive learned so
much in last 4 months, and I still have 6 more to go.

Now Im planning to start studdying Italian in the second half of the year, and then live
in Italy for a while to "finish" my Italian in a sense. This plan however, is very shaky.
Its might change in the next few months, but wherever the change may lead, it is likley
to include living in another country to learn another language.

This discussion contains 95 messages over 12 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version