Tags: Goals | Study Plan
 Language Learning Forum : General discussion Post Reply
95 messages over 12 pages: 1 2 3 46 7 ... 5 ... 11 12 Next >>
Iwwersetzerin
Bilingual Heptaglot
Luxembourg
Joined 5480 days ago

259 posts - 513 votes 
Speaks: French*, Luxembourgish*, GermanC2, EnglishC2, SpanishC2, DutchC1, ItalianC1
Studies: Portuguese, Mandarin

Message 33 of 95
11 December 2010 at 3:18pm | IP Logged 
My goals for 2011 are the following:

1) Italian: finish Assimil perfectionnement, read a lot of books and maintain a solid B2 level. Maybe, just maybe, take the CELI 4 exam (level C1) at the end of the year.

2) Dutch: work through my self-study books (Teach Yourself, Assimil) and reach B2 level. Start reading books in Dutch and maybe take a language exam if possible.

3) Indonesian: learn the basics.

4) Portuguese: learn the basics.

And if I still have time and energy left:

5) Russian: Take my Russian back to the level it was 5 years ago (somewhere between A2 and B1) and start studying it seriously again.
1 person has voted this message useful

skeeterses
United States
angelfire.com/games5Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6429 days ago

302 posts - 356 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: English*
Studies: Korean, Spanish

Message 34 of 95
11 December 2010 at 7:25pm | IP Logged 
I'm tempted to say fluency in Korean, but given the sheer scale of the vocabulary, that's probably going to be
another couple years.

For 2011, the first aim will be to get through several books from Kim Il Sung's biography in Korean. The reason I've
chosen that text is because the North Korean website 우리만족 has the audio for the text, which will be valuable for
me to practice my listening skills in Korean.

Also, I want to go back through the advanced Ganada books to help get my grammatical Korean down. (I've
already gone reviewed the Ganada basic and Intermediate 1 book over the past couple months.)

MixedUpCody
United States
Joined 5067 days ago

144 posts - 280 votes 
Studies: Spanish, Mandarin

Message 35 of 95
11 December 2010 at 8:31pm | IP Logged 
Awesome topic!

Over the summer of 2011 I am going to go to Mexico for 3-4 weeks, and hopefully that will be the final push to take me up to B2-C1 (I'm around B1 written and A2 spoken now).

After I've reached that level in Spanish I'm going to focus on passing the DELE advanced exam by the end of 2011.

And then... I'm going to start learning Mandarin. I'm really excited about this because my wife speaks Mandarin so I'll have native interaction from day one and I'll be able to practice a lot. 2011 is going to be awesome!

Kerrie
United States
justpaste.it/Kerrie2
Joined 5206 days ago

1232 posts - 1740 votes 
Studies: Spanish

Message 36 of 95
12 December 2010 at 5:49am | IP Logged 
My mission for 2011 is to focus intensely on one language at a time, and then maintain it by reading and listening after their designated time frames. I plan to focus on Spanish through February 2011, French (March-July), Italian (August-November), and German (October - March 2012).

For each of these languages, I plan to use the Living Language Ultimate books alongside Assimil. With the Romance languages, I will then jump into dual-reading materials, probably starting with The Little Prince and Harry Potter, simply because I'm familiar with them.

I don't know if my German will be strong enough at that point to jump into reading or not, but that will be nearly a year from now, and I'm not planning that far ahead yet. =)

My mission is to get my Spanish and French to a C1 level and my Italian to a B2 level. For German, I want to finish Assimil and the Ultimate German books before the end of the year.

I have a lot of work ahead of me. I better quit hanging out here and go do something. =)

marvelgirll
United States
Joined 4952 days ago

37 posts - 37 votes
Studies: Dutch, Arabic (classical), Arabic (Levantine)

Message 37 of 95
12 December 2010 at 6:35am | IP Logged 
I'd really like to reach an intermediate level in Arabic and improve my listening skills.
I also want to start Dutch. I'll be participating in the January Dutch challenge to kick-
start that.

Ericounet
France
yojik.euRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5246 days ago

157 posts - 414 votes 
Studies: English, German, Russian

Message 38 of 95
12 December 2010 at 9:19am | IP Logged 
Hi,

my goals for 2011:

1) I would like to finish FSI Russian the third allready done)

2) .. to finish assimil German I didn't speak German since 1974 ... 40 lessons done.

And to improve my Russian: speaking, reading (Kamenskaia ;) and writing.

3) to advance my work on FSI Russian ( to OCR the course, to format it in docbook format, to write the programs to extract the exercices and vocabulary, to translate the course in French ..., to put it on my server for everyone use ) It will take me years to complete. We want also to re-record some parts (my wife will do it )and to give the answers to the exercises)

It will be enough to fill all 2011 :)

Dottymy
United States
Joined 5155 days ago

4 posts - 4 votes
Studies: French, Mandarin

Message 39 of 95
12 December 2010 at 10:53am | IP Logged 
I will only study Chinese for the first half of the year, then during the second half I would really love to brush up on my French at the same time as working on my Chinese. I truly though right now only have motivation for Chinese (because I study that alone)... I love French but it is a bummer that I have to study it in school (which I feels limits how far I can go with it). Pretty basic goals for my languages this year.

lerner
Groupie
Germany
Joined 5629 days ago

51 posts - 79 votes 
Speaks: Hindi*
Studies: EnglishC2, GermanC1, Spanish, Dutch

Message 40 of 95
12 December 2010 at 2:21pm | IP Logged 
Well, since I don't really have time (really lame excuse.... ok, back to the point), I've scaled down my goals to:

1. Improving proficiency in German to about the C2 level (I'd put my present status at C1) and increasing my active vocabulary.
2. Starting... and hopefully finishing... Platiquemos (or however it's spelled)
3. Dabbling a bit in Swedish and maybe, just maybe, Czech
4. For once, trying to properly (and honestly) maintain a log for each of the mentioned languages.

This discussion contains 95 messages over 12 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 46 7 8 9 10 11 12  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version