Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log Post Reply
76 messages over 10 pages: 1 24 5 6 7 ... 3 ... 9 10 Next >>
ellasevia
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2011
Germany
Joined 5941 days ago

2150 posts - 3229 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Croatian, Greek, French, Spanish, Russian, Swedish, Portuguese, Turkish, Italian
Studies: Catalan, Persian, Mandarin, Japanese, Romanian, Ukrainian

Message 17 of 76
09 February 2011 at 11:24pm | IP Logged 
Élan, I hope your mouth will feel better very soon. It like sounds like quite the unpleasant and annoying ordeal!

How do you like TYMP? I did the first couple lessons in August when I didn't have any other materials yet, but didn't like it much, so I abandoned it. How do you think it compares to Spoken World?

Edited by ellasevia on 09 February 2011 at 11:25pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Élan
United States
Joined 5243 days ago

165 posts - 211 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Persian

Message 18 of 76
10 February 2011 at 8:22pm | IP Logged 
ellasevia wrote:
Élan, I hope your mouth will feel better very soon. It like sounds like quite the unpleasant and annoying ordeal!

How do you like TYMP? I did the first couple lessons in August when I didn't have any other materials yet, but didn't like it much, so I abandoned it. How do you think it compares to Spoken World?

Thank you very much. My mouth still hurts like crazy but I have been studying as best I can. I am mainly concerned because I move back to Malaysia on March 1 and I have so much to do before then!

Personally, I prefer TYMP to Spoken World. I dislike Spoken World because I think it doesn't explain colloquial and formal differences as much as it should. I also think their audio tracks for the dialogues are too slow. But to each his own! If I was traveling to Iran, I would probably prefer Spoken World because it's so informal. However, I have decent access to native speakers (who always speak colloquially!) so I find it more useful to learn the formal language and connect it to what I hear regularly.

Anyway, I don't really like any of the materials I am using for Persian so I tend to bounce around a lot! I wish someone would make a Persian textbook and workbook set with lots of pictures and activities. :P Or at least make a nice thick textbook which would include in-depth grammar explanations along with the dialogues.

On that note, I've just finished Unit 17 of TYMP. It was about prepositions and it provided some of the best examples I have found. I'll have to scan these pages for reference. :)
2 persons have voted this message useful

ellasevia
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2011
Germany
Joined 5941 days ago

2150 posts - 3229 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Croatian, Greek, French, Spanish, Russian, Swedish, Portuguese, Turkish, Italian
Studies: Catalan, Persian, Mandarin, Japanese, Romanian, Ukrainian

Message 19 of 76
11 February 2011 at 12:23am | IP Logged 
Thanks for the explanation. On that note, I guess there's no reason why I shouldn't revisit TYMP to see if I can get anything out of it. You're so lucky to have people to practice Persian with!

در مالزى زندگى مى کردى؟ آيا تو مالزيايى هستى؟ خواهى زبان مالزيايى درس خواند؟
^^ I hope I said that right. I was trying to use some of the new vocabulary from the recent lessons of SW, along with some new tenses.

What I was trying to say was "Did you use to live in Malaysia? Are you Malaysian? Are you going to study the Malaysian language?"

Élan
United States
Joined 5243 days ago

165 posts - 211 votes 

Message 20 of 76
11 February 2011 at 6:48pm | IP Logged 
نه، مالزیایی نیستم. اهل آمریکا هستم. تابستان پیش در مالزی زندگی کردم. متاسفانه زبان مالزی را دوست ندارم. وقتی که در مالزی هستم، با یک مرد ایرانی زندگی می کنم
... so it makes more sense to study Farsi.

Selamat pagi / Good morning! I have tried to study Bahasa Malaysia in the past but I just can't get into it. I am thinking I will be in Malaysia 6-9 months this time, though, so I may try to take a beginning Malay class to occupy some of my time. All of my friends in Malaysia speak Persian or Arabic, though, so it would make more sense to focus on those. :)

I studied 1.5 hours yesterday but didn't translate any songs. I will translate at least one today since I am feeling a bit better. I just got my tickets to go to see Shahram Shabpareh and Andy in concert the night before Norouz so I will translate some of their songs. I am so excited!

Élan
United States
Joined 5243 days ago

165 posts - 211 votes 

Message 21 of 76
12 February 2011 at 9:31pm | IP Logged 
Looks like I have completed this week's goal of translating three Persian songs into English! I translated:
Mansour - "Cheshme Siat"
Andy - "Daram Miran beh Tehran"
Barobax - "Soosan Khanoom"

The second song I translated was "Daram Miram beh Tehran" by Andy. In English, the title means "I'm going to Tehran". The song is from a children's movie about Norouz, so perhaps it was too easy for me! I needed to look up words, but I was especially proud when I could translate full lines without looking anything up, such as میدونم از پنجره چقدر قشنگه منظره, roughly "I know there's such a lovely view from the window". The song is about him missing him home city and yearning to go back for spring/Norouz.

The third song I translated was "Soosan Khanoom" by Barobax. This song and video are hilarious! It is also a newer song--only about a year old. It's about courting a girl, with funny and simple lines like:
میخوام بیام در خونتون
حرف بزنم با باباتون
بگم شدم عاشق دخترتون
می خوام بشم من دومادتون
I want to come to your house
to talk to your dad
to say I love your daughter
(and) I want to be your son-in-law

Yesterday I also finished Unit #18 in TYMP. I feel like I'm finally starting to wrap my head around using verbs in the subjunctive. For me, remembering to use the "ب" prefix on a verb after using a modal verb has been a bit tough. I learned it on my own and yesterday was the first time I have come across detailed instructions in one of my resources, so I'm anxious to soak up as many more examples as possible.

I started Unit #19 in TYMP also. It is about forming the proper future tense. I feel like I can do this well enough already, especially since it seems the proper future is hardly used in colloquial Persian. As soon as I click "Post Reply", I'll head straight to the exercises to finish this unit.

Edited by Élan on 16 February 2011 at 10:14pm

Élan
United States
Joined 5243 days ago

165 posts - 211 votes 

Message 22 of 76
16 February 2011 at 8:28pm | IP Logged 
Alright, I've been naughty. I haven't studied since Saturday! I've been busy trying to prepare for my move. I'm frantically cleaning and organizing all of my important belongings.

Instead of posting my progress, I thought I would share a couple links to resources.

This page has links to a bunch of Paulo Coelho's books translated into Persian. Apparently he was angry when he found out his books were banned in Iran, so he put the translations up online for free.

The USA has a new Twitter page in Persian for anyone interested in politics.

And, of course, there are some well-known sites:
BBC Persian
VoA Persian
Radio Farda
and, from Iran, Press TV

Élan
United States
Joined 5243 days ago

165 posts - 211 votes 

Message 23 of 76
20 February 2011 at 6:38pm | IP Logged 
To get out of my study slump, I decided to try start the Colloquial Persian book. I'm finding it to be really enjoyable! So far, I have worked through chapters 1-4. I do all the exercises orally, which seems to be working just fine. This book does not use the Perso-Arabic script, but that is the only bad thing I can say about the book. I would recommend Persian learners look at this book after they have worked through another textbook first. Since all the vocabulary is already familiar to me, I don't feel like I'm missing out on anything by not seeing the words in the Perso-Arabic script.

I will write a more detailed update soon, but for now I'm going to enjoy studying on this snowy day. There's a blizzard outside!

Today's Persian dance song: Morteza - "Baz Mano Kashti"
The title sounds like "you planted me (in the ground) again". This is slang for something like "you stood me up/let me down again". This song is an oldie but a goodie! :)

Élan
United States
Joined 5243 days ago

165 posts - 211 votes 

Message 24 of 76
21 February 2011 at 11:57pm | IP Logged 
Yesterday, I worked through chapter 5 of Colloquial Persian. I'm still liking this book! I'm finding it to be more challenging than my other books, which is just what I need right now.

I think this book does a very good job addressing the tiny irregularities of the language. None of my other books ever told me that when you use a compound verb with kardan, the imperative of kardan will simple be kon instead of bekon. It seems like a small detail, but it had me really confused!

Chapter 5 also mentioned the past subjunctive tense (past participle + present subjunctive of budan), which I've never seen mentioned before. After learning this tense yesterday, suddenly so many confusing sentences made sense!

I was listening in on a phone conversation today and I learned a new word: کابوس - nightmare

Song of the day: Shahram Shabpareh - "Diyar"
It doesn't get any better than this! "Diyar" is 30-year-old song by one of the most famous Persian pop stars (to this day!), Shahram Shabpareh. I have tickets to go see him the night before Norouz. :D

This discussion contains 76 messages over 10 pages: << Prev 1 24 5 6 7 8 9 10  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version