Élan
United States
Joined 5243 days ago

165 posts - 211 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Persian

Message 33 of 76
05 April 2011 at 6:41am | IP Logged 
I've just been reviewing Farsi lately--I haven't done a lot of new studying. I did, however, register for a Bahasa Malaysia class that begins next Monday!

Since I can't share any new knowledge, I thought I'd share a picture of a haft sin table here in Malaysia. It's an advertisement for a cookie and biscuit company.

1 person has voted this message useful

strikingstar
Bilingual Tetraglot
United States
Joined 4972 days ago

292 posts - 444 votes 
Speaks: English*, Mandarin*, Cantonese, Swahili
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written)

Message 34 of 76
05 April 2011 at 7:44am | IP Logged 
Wow, kenapa awak pergi ke Malaysia? Di mana awak tinggal sekarang? KL? PJ? Klang? Mungkin
Penang atau JB?

ellasevia
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2011
Germany
Joined 5941 days ago

2150 posts - 3229 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Croatian, Greek, French, Spanish, Russian, Swedish, Portuguese, Turkish, Italian
Studies: Catalan, Persian, Mandarin, Japanese, Romanian, Ukrainian

Message 35 of 76
05 April 2011 at 7:47am | IP Logged 
Hi Élan!

I'm glad to hear that your move to Malaysia went well. Thank you also for reminding me about Persian New Year and sharing the lovely pictures of the haft sin tables. Is Malaysia a popular tourist destination for Iranians? Good luck with your new Malay class! I've heard it's quite an easy language, so I shall be expecting some comparisons with Persian coming up soon. :)

!خدا حافظ

Élan
United States
Joined 5243 days ago

165 posts - 211 votes 

Message 36 of 76
05 April 2011 at 10:49am | IP Logged 
strikingstar wrote:
Wow, kenapa awak pergi ke Malaysia? Di mana awak tinggal sekarang? KL? PJ? Klang? Mungkin
Penang atau JB?

My partner lives here... we stay in PJ. :)

Thanks, Philip! I'm very anxious to be back in an actual class again!

Élan
United States
Joined 5243 days ago

165 posts - 211 votes 

Message 37 of 76
11 April 2011 at 1:16pm | IP Logged 
Day #1 of Malay class! It was so great to be back in school :P I love having homework!

Today, we learned about introducing yourself (memperkenalkan diri kamu):

Nama saya (nama).
My name is (name).

Saya berumur (nombor) tahun.
I am (number) years old.

Saya berasal dari (nama negara).
I come from (name of country).

Saya seorang (jenis pekerjaan).
I am a (occupation).

Nama guru saya ialah Encik/Cik (nama).
My teacher's name is Mr/Ms (name).

Saya tinggal di (nama).
I live in (name).

Saya sudah berumahtangga. / Saya masih bujang.
I am married. / I am still single.

We also practiced the pronunciation and learned some standard sentences for the first day of any language class, such as "Saya ada soalan", which means "I have a question".

Élan
United States
Joined 5243 days ago

165 posts - 211 votes 

Message 38 of 76
28 April 2011 at 5:53am | IP Logged 
I didn't die! Just a bit busy with embassy stuffs. I've still been attending my Malay class, though. Until I can share something more interesting, here are some sentences I have learned:

Saya tak kaya: saya belum berkawin dengan jutawan. Nanti boleh...
I'm not rich: I haven't yet married with a millionaire. Later...

Nak makan apa?
What do you want to eat?

Makanan bergoreng meningkatkan lemak dalam tuduh.
Fried food increases the fat in the body.

Adakah anda sibuk hari ini?
Are you busy today?

Di mana saya boleh beli lada putih dari Sarawak di KL?
Where can I buy the white paper from Sarawak in KL?

Tolong bagi saya kopi panas.
Please give me hot coffee.

Hari ini saya tak ada duit.
Today I don't have any money.

Saya perlu bantuan anda.
I need your help.

Cikgu saya terbaik!
My teacher is the best!

Also some key words:
BUT = tetapi (tapi in conversation)
OR = atau
AND = dan

Finally, I thought I'd share a nice P. Ramlee song that I have to sing in class. Here it is.

Élan
United States
Joined 5243 days ago

165 posts - 211 votes 

Message 39 of 76
03 May 2011 at 5:29am | IP Logged 
Okay, time for some honesty: I've only been studying Malay lately and not Persian. In one month, my partner's parents are planning to come to Malaysia to see us. Since their son works every day, I will be responsible for showing them around and making them comfortable. In Persian, of course. To inspire myself to study TODAY, I'll share some Iran news and music with you.

NEWS
First of all, a belated "rest in peace" to Bijan Pakzad (بیژن پاکزاد), the famous Iranian designer. He passed away on April 16th.

Bijan's Rolls Royce Phantom Drophead Coupe

The New York Times wrote a very nice obituary here, complete with a photo of Bijan and Michael Jordan.

TODAY'S MUSIC
Today I'll share a few songs from pop-music artists that were born in Iran but moved to Europe as children.

The most famous of these singers is Arash, who was born in Tehran but moved to Sweden when he was ten. Some songs by Arash:
"Donya" by Arash ft. Shaggy
"Broken Angel" by Arash ft. Helena
"Boro Boro" by Arash

This next artist is pretty new, but I've been hearing his first single everywhere. He was born in Tehran and raised in France. Songs by Kamy R:
"Ey Jaan" by KamyR
"Ye Boos Bede" by KamyR
"Dobareh" by KamyR

The final singer I'll share is Valy. He was born in Mashhad and later moved to Germany with his family. I believe he is of Afghani descent. He as not as popular as the other two artists I've shared with you, but I think his music is quite catchy!
"Dokhtare Afghan" by Valy
"Delbar" by Valy
"Khanoomi" by Valy

Happy listening and even happier studying!

Élan
United States
Joined 5243 days ago

165 posts - 211 votes 

Message 40 of 76
07 May 2011 at 4:24am | IP Logged 
Back on the studying horse! Woo!

Last weekend, I was lucky enough to be invited to a Malay engagement ceremony. For Malays (orang Melayu, the engagement happens quite differently than it does in the USA. First of all, the groom-to-be was not present at this ceremony! Instead, the bride-to-be and her family sit on the floor with an imam and the groom-to-be's family. They discuss the terms of the marriage. When an agreement has been reached, the bride-to-be's future mother-in-law puts the engagement ring on her finger and they pose for photos. The extended family and friends (of both sides) watch this ceremony and then everyone eats together. Traditionally, the groom-to-be would not be present on this day. Now, in more modern times, he often waits in another room and then joins everyone for a celebratory lunch.

It was great to see everyone dressed in their baju kurung (traditional dress). I spoke as much Malay as I could, repeating "Hai, selamat bertemu, apa khabar?" to every new person I met.

I've tried to use BM when ordering coffee and fast food, too. It can be difficult though... I get all ready with "Saya nak kopi kosong... tak nak gula" and "minum sini", only to have the clerk greet me with a perfectly accented "Welcome, miss".

I'd like to share a music video with anyone reading this! If you like children and/or ever wanted to see what Malay sounds like, give this a listen!
Reshmonu - "Anok-Anok"
Anak-anak means children. I believe the song is sung in Kelantanese, but it's still pretty understandable! I'm in love with the sweetness of the song and the kiddos in the video.

This discussion contains 76 messages over 10 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 46 7 8 9 10  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version