Élan
United States
Joined 5243 days ago

165 posts - 211 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Persian

Message 41 of 76
09 May 2011 at 1:07pm | IP Logged 
This week in my Malay class, we're talking about food. Here are some sentences I've learned:

Awak sudah makan? = Have you eaten?
Saya tak makan, minum sahaja. = I didn't eat, only drank.
Saya makan roti dengan mentega kacang. = I ate bread with peanut butter.
Saya makan buah-buahan dan minum teh Cina. = I ate nasi lemak and drank Chinese tea.
Anda hendak makan apa? = What do you want to eat?
Saya nak makan roti canai. = I want to eat roti canai.
Anda hendak minum apa? = What do you want to drink?
Saya nak minum kopi-o. Kawan saya minum kopi kosong sahaja. = I want to drink kopi-o. My friend only drinks plain coffee.
Makanan Malaysia sangat sedap! - Malaysian food is so delicious!

Please note: Some of sentences are in past tense, meaning it's appropriate to use "sudah" before the verb. However, this is not required if it's obvious that you're talking about the past. It's fine to add it though. Other "tense" words:

akan: future
sedang: present continuous
sudah: past

Saya akan makan nasi lemak. = I will eat nasi lemak.
Saya sedang makan nasi lemak. = I am eating nasi lemak.
Saya sudah makan nasi lemak. = I ate nasi lemak.

These words are not needed if the time is obvious, but they are still okay to use. Thus, the following two sentences are both okay.
Saya makan nasi minyak lusa. = I will eat nasi minyak the day after tomorrow.
Saya akan makan nasi minyak lusa. = I will eat nasi minyak the day after tomorrow.

Okay, that's all for now! Tomorrow is my birthday so I'm going to try to do all my flashcard reviews in advance. :)

Edited by Élan on 09 May 2011 at 1:10pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Élan
United States
Joined 5243 days ago

165 posts - 211 votes 

Message 42 of 76
06 June 2011 at 10:15am | IP Logged 
Wow, I haven't posted since the day before my birthday! Now I am 22 years old and I have seen Bali, Indonesia. Not much else has changed! Today my Malay class finished. I feel sad, but anxious to start studying a bit on my own. Malay has been a very fun language to learn and speak. I don't use a lot of it, but I try to use key sentences throughout the day as much as I can, such as:

Saya nak pergi ke ... = I want to go to ... (when I get in a taxi)
Berapa? Terima kasih! = How much? Thanks! (when I get out of the taxi)
Berapa harganya? = How much is it's price?
Saya nak ini/itu. = I want this one/that one.
Saya baru belajar Bahasa Malaysia. Boleh cakap sikit-sikit sahaja. = I am a new student of Malay. I can only speak a little bit.
Saya tak faham/tak tahu/tak nak/tak ada/tak boleh ... = I don't understand/don't know/don't want/don't have/cannot ...

I really need to get back to studying Farsi now. My in-laws are coming from Iran later this month and I will be responsible for them during the day. It is nerve wracking enough to meet your in-laws for the first time, but even more nerve wracking when you don't know their language! I was writing for a minute in Farsi today and I couldn't even remember how to say "today" -- all I could think of was "hari ini"!

ellasevia
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2011
Germany
Joined 5941 days ago

2150 posts - 3229 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Croatian, Greek, French, Spanish, Russian, Swedish, Portuguese, Turkish, Italian
Studies: Catalan, Persian, Mandarin, Japanese, Romanian, Ukrainian

Message 43 of 76
06 June 2011 at 4:26pm | IP Logged 
Congratulations on finishing your Malay class and I can't believe I missed wishing you a happy birthday almost a month ago! And now I can't remember how to say "happy birthday" in Persian. Let me look it up. Oh, I never knew it to begin with, never mind. !تولدت مبارک

I've been neglecting Persian way too much as well; I've barely done anything with it since the beginning of March and have forgotten an inexcusable amount of words, grammar, everything. Maybe if I see you speeding ahead once again and putting your knowledge to use I'll get some of my motivation back. Let's go!

Élan
United States
Joined 5243 days ago

165 posts - 211 votes 

Message 44 of 76
07 June 2011 at 10:01am | IP Logged 
Thank you for the happy birthday! I should have mentioned it in my post a month ago. :P I agree that we need to get back on track with Persian. I'll start by posting a fun birthday song:

Andy - "Tavallod"
The lyrics and a music video can be found here.

I've been thinking about starting a Twitter account that is fully in Persian. Any other Persian students want to join me?

Edited by Élan on 07 June 2011 at 10:07am

Élan
United States
Joined 5243 days ago

165 posts - 211 votes 

Message 45 of 76
10 June 2011 at 6:03am | IP Logged 
No matter what I do, I cannot seem to get properly motivated to study either language. I have reviewed all my flashcards each day (and even chosen the "review early" option multiple times), but that's about it.

While I was writing this post, my fiancé called and said that the background checks are over and he should bring his passport in to get this visa to the USA on Monday. I jumped around and screamed like a crazy woman and now I want to share my happiness with everyone else. Hopefully within 1 months we will be in America getting married (after more than 8 months of waiting). AH!

In honor of our upcoming aroosi (wedding), I'd like introduce you to some of the best and most famous aroosi songs. This video showcases 5 of the best. My favorite aroosi song by a mile, though, is "Aroosi" by Sattar (even if it is a bit "old school").

I was in the middle of studying and now I cannot even think. I am so happy!

Élan
United States
Joined 5243 days ago

165 posts - 211 votes 

Message 46 of 76
15 June 2011 at 4:55am | IP Logged 
After reading another log, I have decided to give Rosetta Stone a try. I want to test drive every Persian resource if I can, so right now it's Rosetta Stone's turn. For a beginner, I think RS's way of learning the alphabet is a good, albeit slow, method. It is indeed quite slow but less frustrating than constantly looking up trying to decipher words with an alphabet key like I did when I first learned.

I have mainly been using Rosetta Stone for speaking and listening. I like the speech recognition feature. Although it is not really helpful for pronunciation (it routinely lets me get away with huge errors), it forces me to say something. Too often I stay silent while doing Pimsleur if I am confused by the pronunciation of a phrase. Rosetta Stone forces me to try until I spit out something that sounds close to the original sentence. I have no complaints about the listening practice. I enjoy the quiz-like format it has. For some reason, seeing a big green "100%" at the end of a lesson feels better than self-studying a lesson with no teacher or computer to tell me "Great job!" Call it childish, but it makes it easy for me to keep going.

My only big problem with Rosetta Stone is that it is too formal. I have sampled lessons in levels 1, 2 and 3 of Rosetta Stone Persian and found only formal/literary language. At least Pimsleur teaches miram to beginners instead of miravam. Rosetta Stone also pronounces the [I[alef-nun combo as "aan" instead of "oon", like it's normally pronounced in speech. I would much rather practice casual speech than the awkward language RS has been providing me. Still, I feel RS can be beneficial because I know those rules for everyday speech already. Someone who studied using only RS, though, would probably have a very difficult time listening to a conversation between real Iranians.

On the bright side, my in-laws are coming from Iran in two days and I think they would have fun "playing" Rosetta Stone with me. :)

Élan
United States
Joined 5243 days ago

165 posts - 211 votes 

Message 47 of 76
24 June 2011 at 5:13am | IP Logged 
After a week-long visit, my in-laws have finally left Kuala Lumpur. I am so sad! I'm so glad I had a chance to meet them and form a bond with them before I move back to America with their son.

Although I didn't have any time for studying this week, I got so many hours of amazing listening practice! My fiancé would translate everything for me and many times I received confirmation that, yes, I did hear everything correctly! I still had trouble understanding details, but I always knew what the conversation was about. I am very shy (man kheyli khejalati hastam), but I said some words and sentences. It was worth it to hear my mother in-law exclaim "Jaan!" ("Dear!") and smile. When I get back to the US, I plan to Skype with them as much as possible. My mother-in-law is going to enroll in an English class so hopefully we can practice together.

I've been trying to speak with my fiancé in Farsi whenever I can. He has been very encouraging except for his cackling when I make a funny mistake. The other night I was listening to this video about Mashhadi accent and I asked him "What's voogozi?". He replied with "It's when you fart!". Oops! Good thing I didn't ask that one in front of his parents.

This visit from the in-laws has really motivated me. I live with a native speaker of my target language. Why am I not practicing with him? I really want to become fluent so I can talk with the rest of his family with ease. I'm back on track!

Élan
United States
Joined 5243 days ago

165 posts - 211 votes 

Message 48 of 76
22 July 2011 at 4:51pm | IP Logged 
Three days after my last entry, my fiancé and I flew from Malaysia to the United States to start our new life together. It's been awesome (and awesomely busy). Finally, after meeting tons of friends and family, we are able to relax a bit. We were legally married on Wednesday! Woohoo!

I have been practicing Persian with him every day during our morning run/walk. My real purpose for this post, though, is not to update anyone on my Persian. It's to share an awesome Persian wedding video:

This first video is from a real Iranian wedding (I suppose in California). Famous singer Leila Forouhar is the entertainment. Dancer Mohammad Khordadian also makes a cameo (in the yellowish jacket starting at 1:23). It looks like a total blast!

Here is Leila Forouhar's Aroosi song if anyone likes her. :)

Finally, here is a short video of Leila Forouhar's own wedding in case anyone wants to see what the wedding of a Persian celebrity is like.

This discussion contains 76 messages over 10 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 57 8 9 10  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version