Language Learning Forum : General discussion Post Reply
50 messages over 7 pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7  Next >>
Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
learnlangs.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6268 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Esperanto, Greek, Mandarin, Latin, Dutch, Italian
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swahili, Indonesian, Japanese, Modern Hebrew, Portuguese

Message 1 of 50
24 March 2011 at 11:37pm | IP Logged 
Some texts are so intricate that they're as far from C2 as B2, or C1 at least. There
should be a level to reflect this giant leap - not to start creating tests or lessons
for it, but to acknowledge that some things ought to be beyond a mortal non-native
speaker. These will be mostly written in a poetic way even if they're not poetry
outright, with lots of neologisms, half-forgotten words, symbols, word play, subtle
connotations and unusual word order or really long sentences. Also, a plethora of
cultural references may be involved.

For German, I just saw one such text in the German satire magazine Eulenspiegel - the
text in question can be read online at http://bit.ly/fANPnn and it's about
the singer/band Unheilig. If any non-native here understands it, let me know so that I
can kowtow to you.

Question: do you know of such texts in other languages?
6 persons have voted this message useful

Jinx
Triglot
Germany
reverbnation.co
Joined 5491 days ago

1085 posts - 1879 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, French
Studies: Catalan, Dutch, Esperanto, Croatian, Serbian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Italian, Spanish, Yiddish

Message 2 of 50
25 March 2011 at 1:46am | IP Logged 
Wow, that's intense! It's a very good reminder of how far I still have to go in German. After struggling through about five sentences, I needed to take a rest. :)

EDIT: An idea just struck me. A lot of writing from the American "beat generation" might come close, although I don't think it's as difficult as the article you linked to, Sprachprofi. In any case, for purposes of comparison, here's a brief excerpt from William S. Burroughs' famous "Naked Lunch." Any non-native speakers of English want to let me know how difficult a text like this is for you?

William S. Burroughs wrote:
The Rube has a sincere little boy look, burns through him like blue neon. That one stepped right off a Saturday Evening Post cover with a string of bullheads, and preserved himself in junk. His marks never beef and the Bunko people are really carrying a needle for the Rube. One day Little Boy Blue starts to slip, and what crawls out would make an ambulance attendant puke. The Rube flips in the end, running through empty automats and subway stations, screaming 'Come back, kid!! Come back!!' and follows his boy right into the East River, down through condoms and orange peels, mosaic of floating newspapers, down into the silent black ooze with gangsters in concrete, and pistols pounded flat to avoid the probing finger of prurient ballistic experts.

ONE MORE EDIT: Coming from a very different literary tradition (heh heh), here is ONE sentence from the pen of the legendary Henry James (from the book "The Ambassadors").

Henry James wrote:
The 'ficelle' character of the subordinate party is as artfully
dissimulated, throughout, as may be, and to that extent that, with the
seams or joints of Maria Gostrey's ostensible connectedness taken
particular care of, duly smoothed over, that is, and anxiously kept
from showing as 'pieced on', this figure doubtless achieves, after a
fashion, something of the dignity of a prime idea: which circumstance
but shows us afresh how many quite incalculable but none the less clear
sources of enjoyment for the infatuated artist, how many copious
springs of our never-to-be-slighted 'fun' for the reader and critic
susceptible of contagion, may sound their incidental plash as soon as
an artistic process begins to enjoy free development.

Edited by Jinx on 25 March 2011 at 2:14am

5 persons have voted this message useful

Bao
Diglot
Germany
tinyurl.com/pe4kqe5
Joined 5564 days ago

2256 posts - 4046 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: French, Spanish, Japanese, Mandarin

Message 3 of 50
25 March 2011 at 2:26am | IP Logged 
I still have a long way to go with my English, and those texts are ... opaque, taken out of context. In context they might be manageable, even though I would still miss a lot.

Edited by Bao on 25 March 2011 at 2:33am

1 person has voted this message useful

hrhenry
Octoglot
United States
languagehopper.blogs
Joined 4928 days ago

1871 posts - 3642 votes 
Speaks: English*, SpanishC2, ItalianC2, Norwegian, Catalan, Galician, Turkish, Portuguese
Studies: Polish, Indonesian, Ojibwe

Message 4 of 50
25 March 2011 at 6:14am | IP Logged 
Sprachprofi wrote:
Some texts are so intricate that they're as far from C2 as B2, or C1 at least. There
should be a level to reflect this giant leap - not to start creating tests or lessons
for it, but to acknowledge that some things ought to be beyond a mortal non-native
speaker. These will be mostly written in a poetic way even if they're not poetry
outright, with lots of neologisms, half-forgotten words, symbols, word play, subtle
connotations and unusual word order or really long sentences. Also, a plethora of
cultural references may be involved.

I don't speak German, so I can't comment on the example you provided. But regarding CEFR levels and the creation of a level above C2, I don't know that that would be necessary or even helpful.

If someone is able to pass a C2 level, to me that signifies that they have a good enough grasp of the language to enter into university studies in the target language - studies that would go much deeper into literary forms, vocabulary, etc. - in short, all the things you mention in your post. At this level, I would think that even natives would initially have a hard time grasping such literature, excepting perhaps cultural references.

In my opnion, that extra level of proof of proficiency would actually be a university education, taught in the target language.

R.
==

Edited by hrhenry on 25 March 2011 at 6:15am

3 persons have voted this message useful

Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
learnlangs.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6268 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Esperanto, Greek, Mandarin, Latin, Dutch, Italian
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swahili, Indonesian, Japanese, Modern Hebrew, Portuguese

Message 5 of 50
25 March 2011 at 11:04am | IP Logged 
Jinx, the texts you've chosen are indeed very complex. The first one is beyond me and the
second one I had to re-read several times.

For this matter, I could cite some Kant, which is definitely also in that category.
However, I prefer to stick to texts that the average educated German understands without
further preparation - for Kant, my philosophy class had to read and re-read sentences
again and again as well, while that satire I posted is still (the very tip of) your
typical newspaper German, it's not Shakespeare nor Chaucer.

hrhenry, this is not about proof of language ability. C2 is a great achievement and I
don't think that anyone needs to go beyond. In fact, even C1 is fine if you want to study
in Germany, and I've seen people start their studies with less.
2 persons have voted this message useful

hrhenry
Octoglot
United States
languagehopper.blogs
Joined 4928 days ago

1871 posts - 3642 votes 
Speaks: English*, SpanishC2, ItalianC2, Norwegian, Catalan, Galician, Turkish, Portuguese
Studies: Polish, Indonesian, Ojibwe

Message 6 of 50
25 March 2011 at 2:13pm | IP Logged 
Sprachprofi wrote:
\
hrhenry, this is not about proof of language ability. C2 is a great achievement and I
don't think that anyone needs to go beyond. In fact, even C1 is fine if you want to study
in Germany, and I've seen people start their studies with less.

I guess I misunderstood your post.

When I read "CEFR" I understood "assessment of proficiency", That's the entire reason we have CEFR.

R.
==

LLF
Groupie
United Kingdom
Joined 5378 days ago

66 posts - 72 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 7 of 50
25 March 2011 at 2:45pm | IP Logged 
Sprachprofi wrote:

For German, I just saw one such text in the German satire magazine Eulenspiegel - the
text in question can be read online at http://bit.ly/fANPnn and it's about
the singer/band Unheilig. If any non-native here understands it, let me know so that I
can kowtow to you.

How much do we need to understand to get a kowtow ? It seems to be a critical article about a flamboyantly ridiculous member of a band which has some kind of vampire-goth style, and whose front man, the Baron, tries to cultivate a strange and secret past. Their fans take the band too seriously, and write pretentious pseudo-philosophical articles about them.

Is that enough for a kow, at least ?

As for complexity: yes, that's fairly tough, but I think I see things almost as bad everyday in the FAZ.

Edited by LLF on 25 March 2011 at 2:46pm

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5179 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 
Speaks: English, French*, GermanC1, Spanish, Japanese, Esperanto
Studies: Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Estonian

Message 8 of 50
25 March 2011 at 3:10pm | IP Logged 
Deciphering a text the author of which couldn't be bothered to write clearly is more part clairvoyance, part dedication than an indication of a level of proficiency higher than C2.

9 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 50 messages over 7 pages: 2 3 4 5 6 7  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version