Language Learning Forum : General discussion Post Reply
50 messages over 7 pages: 1 2 35 6 7  Next >>
ellasevia
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2011
Germany
Joined 5940 days ago

2150 posts - 3229 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Croatian, Greek, French, Spanish, Russian, Swedish, Portuguese, Turkish, Italian
Studies: Catalan, Persian, Mandarin, Japanese, Romanian, Ukrainian

Message 25 of 50
26 March 2011 at 6:14pm | IP Logged 
Sprachprofi wrote:
Jinx' first text qualifies, I think, unless the English native speakers in this forum say that it's as difficult for them...

I've read it three times now and still have no clue what it's talking about. I understand the words, but I have no idea what they're saying. Having briefly learned about the "Beat Generation" and reading Jinx's explanation of it certainly helped, but there's no way I would be able to figure it out on my own without studying the culture and the specific language he uses.

EDIT: I just showed it to my mother and she was just as perplexed as I was while reading it.

Edited by ellasevia on 26 March 2011 at 6:21pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

BartoG
Diglot
United States
confession
Joined 5245 days ago

292 posts - 818 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Italian, Spanish, Latin, Uzbek

Message 26 of 50
26 March 2011 at 9:04pm | IP Logged 
You will need to know the difference between Friday and a fried egg. It's quite a simple difference, but an important one. Friday comes at the end of the week, whereas a fried egg comes out of a chicken. Like most things, of course, it isn't quite that simple. The fried egg isn't properly a fried egg until it's been put in a frying pan and fried. This is something you wouldn't do to a Friday, of course, though you might do it on a Friday. You can also fry eggs on a Thursday, if you like, or on a cooker. It's all rather complicated, but it makes a kind of sense if you think about it for a while.
-Douglas Adams

Mind you, this was written for the amusement of children. Were I to encounter a similar passage in German, I might well decipher the literal meaning of the sentences, might even catch a pun. But I would be sure to miss the real meaning of the passage, which isn't about Fridays and fried eggs, but about how the little words in language can shift and change things in ways that native speakers don't even notice but which can really be quite absurd.

Edited by BartoG on 26 March 2011 at 9:05pm

1 person has voted this message useful

AeOeUe
Tetraglot
Germany
Joined 5016 days ago

16 posts - 31 votes
Speaks: German*, English, French, Dutch
Studies: Russian

Message 27 of 50
26 March 2011 at 11:41pm | IP Logged 
I think when you get to that level, you are more testing the intelligence and cultural
literacy than actual language ability. The German text from the original post has quite
long sentences, and none of them is without at least one cultural reference. It surely
isn't as hard to read as a text by Kant, but I can imagine some Germans wouldn't want to
go through the effort of reading it either. I did not understand what the quoted sentence
("Der Erfolg der unterweltlichen Dumpfmucke...) was about until I read it in context
either.

As for the Douglas Adams quote, maybe I am missing something an English native would see
in there, but I think I understand the idea behind it and I definitely enjoy reading it
much more than the German text from the Eulenspiegel - probably just a matter of
preference, humour, etc.

Raincrowlee
Tetraglot
United States
Joined 6500 days ago

621 posts - 808 votes 
Speaks: English*, Mandarin, Korean, French
Studies: Indonesian, Japanese

Message 28 of 50
27 March 2011 at 3:15am | IP Logged 
Arekkusu wrote:
s_allard wrote:
I think the main reason the examples given here are especially difficult for non-native speakers (and even for some native speakers) is that they require a vast store of cultural, social, historical and even linguistic references to grasp the intentions of the authors. This storehouse of knowledge comes with experience and, very importantly, university education.

Then it's not linguistic knowledge that's in question, but general knowledge. Certainly, it wouldn't be reasonable to expect a language test to measure that.

Hate to jump in here, but you're absolutely wrong with your reasonable expectation. Late last year I attended a seminar in which I heard about the DLPT test, and for levels 4 and 5 they specifically said that cultural, social and historical knowledge become as important as knowledge of grammar and vocabulary. According to their rankings, a lot of native speakers would only qualify as a 3 or 3+, and that that level is a reflection of the level that we usually speak to each other.

Level 5 is only for people who could create texts, like authors, university professors and people who are well versed in public speaking. An example they gave (half-joking) was that Bill Clinton could earn a 5, but George W. Bush couldn't. The main difference, according to the person leading the seminar, was cultural knowledge.

doviende
Diglot
Canada
languagefixatio
Joined 5784 days ago

533 posts - 1245 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Spanish, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Hindi, Swedish, Portuguese

Message 29 of 50
27 March 2011 at 6:50pm | IP Logged 
I think some of this is about having enough exposure to the language that the hinted words come to mind easily, so that you get all the puns. It's like being able to complete a sentence that has a blank in it...you need enough exposure to the patterns to just know what's there.

This also comes into play in real error-correction situations, like listening to someone talk quietly in a loud pub, or understanding all the words in a poetry performance. Easier language is language that's more predictable, using the more frequent words and frequent sentence patterns. Sprachprofi's example had normal sentence patterns, but the words made reference to other infrequent words, and then you had to know why those other infrequent words weren't actually used.

At its core, this mean to be at this D1 level that Sprachprofi refers to, you not only know all the really obscure words and collocations, but you also recognize when they're *not* being used, and why.

3 persons have voted this message useful

Kugel
United States
Joined 6336 days ago

497 posts - 555 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 30 of 50
21 April 2011 at 7:54pm | IP Logged 
Maybe there could also be level F that involves prose that is so nonsensical that it's only found on propositional/predicate logic exams that test for the ability to mindlessly translate garbage into symbolic language. This I can do. But Shakespeare, Derrida, Kant, and Faulkner will always be out of my reach when it comes to actual understanding.

Do you understand the following?

No one is a biologist if I'm generous only if I'm gentle; furthermore not both not cars and either planes and trains will win if the sun rises tomorrow, then I'm a winner, if germs only come from Germany. Thus, not either not President Bush will win or some dancers are short and frivolous.      

Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
learnlangs.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6268 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Esperanto, Greek, Mandarin, Latin, Dutch, Italian
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swahili, Indonesian, Japanese, Modern Hebrew, Portuguese

Message 31 of 50
21 April 2011 at 9:00pm | IP Logged 
The kind of German used by civil servants, contract lawyers and big companies' letter-
writers is also very hard to understand for foreigners. It's also hard to understand
for
Germans, though it claims to be universally accessible.

Sie sind als Mieter zur Preisminderung dem Vermieter gegenüber berechtigt, sofern
der Vermieter seinen Verpflichtungen nicht nachkommt oder der Mietgegenstand nicht in
dem angegebenen Zustand vorgefunden wird.

I had to deal with a landlord yesterday and today I made a list of the 10 "magic"
German
words which are essential to convincing such people that they can't pull the wool over
your eyes.

EDIT: @Kugel I can parse it thanks to some computational linguistics lessons.

Edited by Sprachprofi on 21 April 2011 at 9:01pm

Jinx
Triglot
Germany
reverbnation.co
Joined 5491 days ago

1085 posts - 1879 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, French
Studies: Catalan, Dutch, Esperanto, Croatian, Serbian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Italian, Spanish, Yiddish

Message 32 of 50
22 April 2011 at 4:36am | IP Logged 
Sprachprofi wrote:
The kind of German used by civil servants, contract lawyers and big companies' letter-
writers is also very hard to understand for foreigners. It's also hard to understand
for
Germans, though it claims to be universally accessible.

Sie sind als Mieter zur Preisminderung dem Vermieter gegenüber berechtigt, sofern
der Vermieter seinen Verpflichtungen nicht nachkommt oder der Mietgegenstand nicht in
dem angegebenen Zustand vorgefunden wird.

I had to deal with a landlord yesterday and today I made a list of the 10 "magic"
German
words which are essential to convincing such people that they can't pull the wool over
your eyes.

EDIT: @Kugel I can parse it thanks to some computational linguistics lessons.

Okay, let me give this a crack. Having dealt with renting an apartment in Germany and having to go buy the Mietvertrag myself because my landlord wasn't around to get it for me, I have a tiny bit of experience with this. My guess on first glance without going to a dictionary or analyzing the passage word by word is something like this (this is a very, very rough, vague, and conceptual interpretation!):

"You as a tenant have certain rights in regards to the landlord [plus something about a lowering of the price], as long as the landlord doesn't fail in his duties, or if the rental is found to be in a condition not as advertised."

Did I get the gist of it? The part that confused me the most was the "Preisminderung" thing.

This discussion contains 50 messages over 7 pages: << Prev 1 2 35 6 7  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version