Tetraglot
United States
Joined 5479 days ago

19 posts - 36 votes
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Russian, French
Studies: Polish, Georgian, Welsh, Arabic (Written), Japanese, Finnish

Message 33 of 50
22 April 2011 at 7:02am | IP Logged 
What do you think of nonsense poetry like the Jabberwocky?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jabberwocky

It seems to be that most people can "sense" what it means, though most of the words do not exist. The interesting
thing is that the feel of the words in some cases was so strong, that they were actually adapted into the English
dictionary as a legitimate words.

Edited by niemia on 22 April 2011 at 7:03am

1 person has voted this message useful

Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
learnlangs.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6268 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Esperanto, Greek, Mandarin, Latin, Dutch, Italian
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swahili, Indonesian, Japanese, Modern Hebrew, Portuguese

Message 34 of 50
22 April 2011 at 10:06pm | IP Logged 
Jinx wrote:
[quote=Sprachprofi]
Sie sind als Mieter zur Preisminderung dem Vermieter gegenüber berechtigt, sofern
der Vermieter seinen Verpflichtungen nicht nachkommt oder der Mietgegenstand nicht in
dem angegebenen Zustand vorgefunden wird.

"You as a tenant have certain rights in regards to the landlord [plus something about a
lowering of the price], as long as the landlord doesn't fail in his duties, or if the
rental is found to be in a condition not as advertised."

Did I get the gist of it? The part that confused me the most was the "Preisminderung"
thing.

"You as a tenant are entitled to having the landlord reduce the price if the landlord
doesn't meet his obligations or if the rental is found not to be in the advertised
condition/state."

You did very well.

The Jabberwocky feels understandable to me. We wrote similar poems in German as an
exercise in German class.

EDIT: If you want to start studying all the cultural references you may be missing in
German, http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liste_geflügelter_Worte is an awesome
resource. It contains too many - I'd say about half of the entries are known to every
German and only some of phrases can be recognized when modified. Still, a great read
for all the stories.

Edited by Sprachprofi on 23 April 2011 at 12:29am

2 persons have voted this message useful

Jinx
Triglot
Germany
reverbnation.co
Joined 5491 days ago

1085 posts - 1879 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, French
Studies: Catalan, Dutch, Esperanto, Croatian, Serbian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Italian, Spanish, Yiddish

Message 35 of 50
23 April 2011 at 11:29pm | IP Logged 
Thanks, Sprachprofi! :) And thanks for that link, it looks like a fabulous resource – I am definitely bookmarking that. This sort of thing is what I love to learn about a language, the subtleties that tourists don't learn but which make the experience of speaking the language so much more fun.

Romanist
United Kingdom
Joined 5080 days ago

261 posts - 366 votes 
Studies: Italian

Message 36 of 50
24 April 2011 at 2:01pm | IP Logged 
Sprachprofi wrote:
For German, I just saw one such text in the German satire magazine Eulenspiegel - the text in question can be read online at http://bit.ly/fANPnn and it's about the singer/band Unheilig. If any non-native here understands it, let me know so that I can kowtow to you.

I don't want to blow any trumpets here, but I really don't see that the text you linked to is so very hard!

I would say many works of German literature ('Der Tod in Venedig', 'Berlin Alexanderplatz', etc) are VERY much harder to read than this is...

Sunja
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5883 days ago

2020 posts - 2295 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: French, Mandarin

Message 37 of 50
24 April 2011 at 5:28pm | IP Logged 
I know this thread is about reading tough stuff -- what about reading outloud? ;) This is a section from a Goethe Institute test for "D1". The person tested is supposed to read this outloud in front of two judges. Points off for the wrong intonation/articulation/prosody. (time is 5 min.)

Johann Caspar Goethes Impuls zur Bildung hatte etwas Überschießendes. So ist es wohl zu verstehen, dass er wenig Unterschied zwischen Tochter und Sohn machte. Nur mit einiger Mühe entzog sich die Ehefrau. „Mein Vater lehrte die Schwester im selben Zimmer Italienisch, wo ich den Celarius auswendig zu lernen hatte“, berichtet Johann Wolfgang. Wie der Bruder lernt Cornelia vor allem die Sprachen: Italienisch, Französisch, Englisch, ein wenig Latein, Geschichte, Religion, und zusätzlich erhielt sie eine musikalische Ausbildung im Singen und Klavierspielen. Neben dem Vater unterrichteten Hauslehrer. Wenn wir die Darstellung in Dichtung und Wahrheit betrachten, so fällt der Zug von Starrheit bis zur Pedanterie auf, der die Pädagogik wie das Wesen des Vaters charakterisierte. Es gab bei dem alten Goethe einen Zug der Ordnung bis zum Zwanghaften. „Er hatte alles nur durch unsäglichen Fleiß, Beharrlichkeit und Wiederholung erworben“ – so der Sohn über den Vater. Es war nicht die kulturelle Eingebundenheit einer über Generationen reichen und am Wissen teilhabenden Familie. Der Vater selbst war unsicher, nicht schöpferisch, in seinen liebenswertesten Seiten ein skurriler Autodidakt (wie der Versuch zeigt, im großen Hirschgraben Seidenraupen zu züchten), zugleich aber ein Mann mit starrsinnigen Zügen, die vielleicht seine soziale Unsicherheit kompensieren sollten. Die Kinder litten unter der Strenge und wurden immer rebellischer. Es entstand jene Fraktionierung, die für die bürgerliche Familie charakteristisch werden sollte.

Aus: Luise F.-Pusch (Hg.), Schwestern berühmter Männer. Zwölf Biographische Portraits

As a non-native speaker, it's fun to spot the words they try to trip you up on. (I had to think twice on a few...!)

Edited by Sunja on 24 April 2011 at 6:12pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

Jinx
Triglot
Germany
reverbnation.co
Joined 5491 days ago

1085 posts - 1879 votes 
Studies: Catalan, Dutch, Esperanto, Croatian, Serbian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Italian, Spanish, Yiddish

Message 38 of 50
24 April 2011 at 9:36pm | IP Logged 
Okay, I couldn't resist. This is probably suicidal, but I had to try reading aloud the passage Sunja posted. It was definitely not easy. :) I went ahead and recorded it after only practicing twice, though: here it is. If anyone would be gracious enough to tell me how to improve my (probably terrible) prosody etc., I would be so grateful!

(edited to fix link)

Edited by Jinx on 24 April 2011 at 9:37pm

Doitsujin
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5118 days ago

1256 posts - 2363 votes 
Speaks: German*, English

Message 39 of 50
24 April 2011 at 11:45pm | IP Logged 
Great job!! I'm sure you'd ace this test.

But since you asked for feedback, here are some minor nitpicks:
The final -isch in some the language names (Italienisch etc.) at the beginning sounds a bit "off." I'm not an expert, but my guess would be that your lips were in the same position that you pronounce German "ch" with, which is not what you want.
The prosody is off in "...und Wiederholung erworben" where you raise the voice at the end instead of lowering it.
The "isch" in schöpferisch sounds more like "ich" and the I in "skurril" [skʊˈri:l] needs to be a long I.

Jinx
Triglot
Germany
reverbnation.co
Joined 5491 days ago

1085 posts - 1879 votes 

Message 40 of 50
25 April 2011 at 1:53am | IP Logged 
Doitsujin wrote:
Great job!! I'm sure you'd ace this test.

But since you asked for feedback, here are some minor nitpicks:
The final -isch in some the language names (Italienisch etc.) at the beginning sounds a bit "off." I'm not an expert, but my guess would be that your lips were in the same position that you pronounce German "ch" with, which is not what you want.
The prosody is off in "...und Wiederholung erworben" where you raise the voice at the end instead of lowering it.
The "isch" in schöpferisch sounds more like "ich" and the I in "skurril" [skʊˈri:l] needs to be a long I.

Thanks, Doitsujin! I love it when people give me really specific feedback, like yours. I'll try reading it over to myself, with all of your detailed comments in mind.

Good point about the "ich" versus "isch" – there were so many of each in this paragraph that I could feel my differentiation slipping as I read! I'll try paying more attention to the positioning of my lips, as you suggest.

"Skurril" was the hardest word in the whole thing for me – for some reason I had this weird feeling that I should roll the R instead of doing a normal German R, so I ended up kind of slurring the whole word – very awkward! I'll have to work on that one.

Thanks again for the feedback, it's so helpful. :)

This discussion contains 50 messages over 7 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 46 7  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version