Scotland
linguafrankly.blogsp
Joined 5809 days ago

4399 posts - 7687 votes 
Speaks: Lowland Scots, English*, French, Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Studies: Catalan, Italian, German, Irish, Welsh

Message 9 of 72
17 May 2011 at 6:32pm | IP Logged 
My view is that Moses displays a very poor clarity of expression in English and generally uses a lot of words without conveying much information. I would therefore be very skeptical about paying for any material from him without having seen a substantial sample of the material in advance.

Ari wrote:
Moses' skill levels often crop up on these forums. He knows enough to communicate in a crapload of languages and he's really good at getting to that level really fast. I'm guessing his materials teach you the techniques to do that.

Not necessarily.

Many people are good at doing things, but don't really know why or how.

Swim coaching has been revolutionised by the introduction of the underwater chase-cam.

How so?

Traditionally, a champion swimmer would turn coach after retiring from professional competition, and tell his students the same things his coach taught him.
He would praise his fast students, but the slower swimmers would get drilled again and again on doing things literally as he said.

And then came the underwater chase cam.

And we discovered that the good students were ignoring what the coach told them to do, and the bad students were doing exactly what the coach told them to do.

In fact, the coach wasn't doing what he was telling the students to do.

This turns on its head the old teacher saying of "don't do as I do, do as I say". Basically, most people have a very superficial idea of what they're doing, and often ignore or forget about certain things they do.

Moses will teach what he thinks he does, but it's impossible to know whether that is really what he does...
12 persons have voted this message useful

Cowlegend999
Groupie
CanadaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4942 days ago

72 posts - 94 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Mandarin, Cantonese

Message 10 of 72
17 May 2011 at 10:23pm | IP Logged 
On the site it says there's a 60 day (or 30, check yourself) money back guarantee with no questions asked.
So you could always order it and scan through it and return it if you dont think it's worth the money.

Also, I believe he claims an advanced level in mandarin (the first language he started, his wife is a speaker)
and Japanese (which he just started to reach advanced). That's what I've gathered based on his
site/channel.
1 person has voted this message useful

dbag
United Kingdom
Joined 4820 days ago

605 posts - 1046 votes 
Studies: Spanish

Message 11 of 72
17 May 2011 at 10:50pm | IP Logged 
I am very impressed with those videos of Moses translating for that Japanese guy (Il post a link if I can find it). Also the video in which he teaches a student solely in Japanese for over am hour. Of course, I dont speak any Japanese, so I have no idea howgood he is.

He seemed to have no trouble getting his views across to the Japanese guy though. From what I understand, people can study the language for years and get no where near this level.

How many people can legitimately claim to speak both Japanese and Chinese?

I think that what Moses has, that others dont, is a consuming passion for languages. Its clear theres no way a less than motivated student could replicate his succsess.

I was dissaponited by how the thread "The admirable achievements of Moses Mccormick" starts off being incredibly positive, but then deteriorates into posts which seem to intend to somehow take away from what he has achieved.

I do think we should objectivly examine his methods but why do people feel the need to slight the man behind them?

Do we need to have an advanced level in every language we study?

I really dont think so. My South African friend who I mentioned in a previous post,speaks 11 languages. Most of these are the Languages of South Africa. I am sure his "skill level" in many of them wouldnt satisfy many of the members of this forum, but he can communicate with a heck of a lot more people in the world than I can, and he never once sat down to "study" any of them.

I think if Moses can teach me to talk to people from say, Tibet or Mongolia, quickly, then Im keen, even if it is in a somewhat limited way.

Edited by dbag on 18 May 2011 at 10:00am

2 persons have voted this message useful

leosmith
United States
Joined 6348 days ago

2365 posts - 3804 votes 
Studies: Tagalog

Message 13 of 72
18 May 2011 at 1:58am | IP Logged 
dbag wrote:
has a fantastic ability to reach a good standard very quickly.

That's not what he said.
ChristopherB wrote:
"a square mile of dirt, one inch deep". Is that not exactly as much as one inch a mile deep?

Another person who doesn't like math, I see. First, you can't equate a volume to an area. You probably meant a
square inch a mile deep. But that volume isn't equal to a square mile one inch deep either.

But lets say you you got the depth right so that the volumes are equal. In that case you'd be wrong because it takes
more effort to make progress in a language when you get to an advanced level. You could probably reach the Moses
level in a dozen languages before reaching C2 in Spanish, for example.
11 persons have voted this message useful

dbag
United Kingdom
Joined 4820 days ago

605 posts - 1046 votes 

Message 14 of 72
18 May 2011 at 10:09am | IP Logged 
@ Leosmith
Perhaps that sentence of mine wasnt very clear. I wasnt intending to put words into Ari's mouth. The preceding "as you say" was intended to refer to Moses not having claimed an advanced level in any of his languages.
Sorry for any confusion.

Back to topic.
Am I then to infer that you wouldnt buy one of these courses?

Regardless of the level Moses has or hasnt achieved in any of his languages, what do people feel are the pros and cons of the method he is attempting to teach?

Edited by dbag on 18 May 2011 at 10:11am

leosmith
United States
Joined 6348 days ago

2365 posts - 3804 votes 
Studies: Tagalog

Message 15 of 72
19 May 2011 at 3:39am | IP Logged 
Post a summary of the method he is attempting to teach, and we'll tell you what we think of it. Other than that, it
sounds like you've already made up your mind, so my opinion is moot.

dbag
United Kingdom
Joined 4820 days ago

605 posts - 1046 votes 

Message 16 of 72
19 May 2011 at 10:29am | IP Logged 
There is a thread discussing the FLR outline here:
http://how-to-learn-any-language.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?T ID=18808&PN=1&TPN=1

and Youtube videos in which he discusses the technique here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NY5oOOlvsN4        Step 1,2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJFX5tTnK3c        Step 3

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NlgaT1jzVHQ        Step 4

My interpretation of the method is that he learns those elements of Language which are most important for communicating right away, as well as a bunch of what he calls "keywords" which I take to be "connecting phrases" i.e they help you to expand upon simple sentences.

I understand he uses these methods as a way of keeping an initial conversation with a native speaker going a lot longer than would usually be the case, so the bulk of his learning comes through actual conversation .

Im sorry if I got anything wrong, but thats just my rather simple interpretation. I am a beginning language learner, who is trying to learn something from those who are more experienced than I.

It is rather difficult to seperate the wheat from the chaff when your starting out.

No, I havent made my mind up. At least, not about the value of buying one of Moses's courses for $400.00. That seems very expensive.

What I have made my mind up about is that you dont have to be at a c1 or c2 level in every language you study (in an ideal world of course, that would be nice).

Why? Even a small knowledge of a language can enhance a persons travel experience imeasurably. I may want to travel to Vietnam in the near future, for example. There is no way I'd want to spend ages trying to reach an advanced level in the language, if I was only going to spend a month there. But it would be nice to have simple conversations while Im there.
There are many such countries Id like to go to, and I cant learn all of their languages.

(On a side note, I do think its much more impressive for someone to be at a C2 level in a language than have a basic knowledge of a dozen.)

4 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 72 messages over 9 pages: << Prev 13 4 5 6 7 8 9  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version