United States
Joined 6361 days ago

2365 posts - 3804 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Tagalog

Message 57 of 72
18 January 2012 at 5:00am | IP Logged 
tmp011007 wrote:
you are not a beginner in mandarin either so I don't know if your review in the end would be
fair enough as those courses are intended for beginners

I think your point has some merit, but if I had to choose, I'd rather have an advanced student of the language review
a beginner course. A beginner isn't going to know what she needs to learn, which trumps the disadvantage of not
seeing things through the eyes of a true beginner, imo.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Splog
Diglot
Czech Republic
anthonylauder.c
Joined 5480 days ago

1062 posts - 3263 votes 
Speaks: English*, Czech
Studies: Mandarin

Message 58 of 72
18 January 2012 at 2:32pm | IP Logged 
tmp011007 wrote:
Moses' courses are pretty much for beginners and you, certainly, are not.. maybe his method in general, his main guidelines, his Conversational Connectors* (*take a look at the spreadsheet on googledocs made by user berta from lingq -with some extra help, in a couple of languages)

Just for clarification, conversational connectors are not from Moses and are not part of FLR. They come, in fact, from my own website and my youtube videos.

Moses does have something called "keywords" which, as far as I can tell, includes a number of conjunctions, adverbs, and other miscellaneous terms Moses considers fundamental, but they are quite different from conversational connectors.

Berta, at LingQ, has indeed been collecting translations of conversational connectors into multiple languages, and I support and encourage that work. Again, though, it has nothing to do with FLR, so is not part of whatever a purchaser of FLR receives.

Edited by Splog on 18 January 2012 at 2:32pm

4 persons have voted this message useful

tmp011007
Diglot
Congo
Joined 5880 days ago

199 posts - 346 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, English
Studies: French, Portuguese

Message 59 of 72
18 January 2012 at 4:23pm | IP Logged 
Splog wrote:
Just for clarification, conversational connectors are not from Moses and are not part of FLR. They come, in fact, from my own website and my youtube videos.

somehow in my mind both concepts (conversational connectors/"keywords") are pretty much the same (but I'm quite used to be wrong).. I guess it's just I don't have enough info..

Splog wrote:
Berta, at LingQ, has indeed been collecting translations of conversational connectors into multiple languages, and I support and encourage that work. Again, though, it has nothing to do with FLR, so is not part of whatever a purchaser of FLR receives.

sorry about that.. my bad.. I already knew that list wasn't from Moses but you (it's crystal clear from her post and I'm gonna edit mine right away to avoid misunderstandings)..

leosmith wrote:
I think your point has some merit, but if I had to choose, I'd rather have an advanced student of the language review a beginner course.

I agree but I've just realized maybe what I really want to know is how far this course can take a total beginner.. anyway, liddytime's review is more than welcome :P

leosmith wrote:
A beginner isn't going to know what she needs to learn, which trumps the disadvantage of not seeing things through the eyes of a true beginner, imo.

true.. and unfortunately a total beginner, most of the time, will post amazing things about not that amazing materials.. btw, why "she"? ("..what she needs to learn,..")
1 person has voted this message useful

leosmith
United States
Joined 6361 days ago

2365 posts - 3804 votes 

Message 60 of 72
18 January 2012 at 7:14pm | IP Logged 
tmp011007 wrote:
btw, why "she"? ("..what she needs to learn,..")

Just trying to equal things out, my friend. btw, why "Congo"?
4 persons have voted this message useful

liddytime
Pentaglot
United States
mainlymagyar.wordpre
Joined 6040 days ago

693 posts - 1328 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Italian, Portuguese, Galician
Studies: Hungarian, Vietnamese, Modern Hebrew, Norwegian, Persian, Arabic (Written)

Message 61 of 72
18 January 2012 at 9:02pm | IP Logged 
I wrote a little intro to the Moses FLR method on my blog @

http://mainlymagyar.wordpress.com./

I'll check back in here from time to time and let you know my progress

Edited by liddytime on 18 January 2012 at 9:03pm

7 persons have voted this message useful

FuroraCeltica
Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 6676 days ago

1187 posts - 1427 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, French

Message 62 of 72
19 January 2012 at 12:37am | IP Logged 
My thoughts? Moses clearly has a passion for languages, and that is something we all
admire and share here. We also feel its great that we have places like this where we can
share tips, ideas and experiences for improving. However, once you start charging people
money for your advice (or courses in this case), it becomes different. At that point, it
is perfectly fair to be critical. From what I can tell, there is nothing especially
decisive about Moses' method. Certainly nothing decisive enough to warrant spending money
on it.
1 person has voted this message useful

leosmith
United States
Joined 6361 days ago

2365 posts - 3804 votes 

Message 63 of 72
19 January 2012 at 8:15am | IP Logged 
FuroraCeltica wrote:
At that point, it is perfectly fair to be critical.

On this forum, it's always fair to be critical. If someone says something you disagree with, regardless if they are
getting paid for it, feel free to state your opinion.
3 persons have voted this message useful

slucido
Bilingual Diglot
Spain
https://goo.gl/126Yv
Joined 6486 days ago

1296 posts - 1781 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Spanish*, Catalan*
Studies: English

Message 64 of 72
19 January 2012 at 12:33pm | IP Logged 
leosmith wrote:
FuroraCeltica wrote:
At that point, it is perfectly fair to be critical.

On this forum, it's always fair to be critical. If someone says something you disagree with, regardless if they are
getting paid for it, feel free to state your opinion.

In fact, this is the controversial method of learning languages.
If we disagree, we start interactions and we learn.
So...I strongly disagree...

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 72 messages over 9 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 79  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version