Norway
norwegianthroughnove
Joined 5217 days ago

439 posts - 800 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Norwegian

Message 33 of 72
21 May 2011 at 2:48am | IP Logged 
First of all, welcome to the forum! Secondly, thanks for the very detailed post. It
would be good to get your views further down the line after a few months to see if you
still find the content very useful.

I am not too sure about it as I think one could pay far less and progress pretty well,
but then again the stuff you learn would give you a good start in conversing with
people very early on which could certainly have some good advantages. Benny (The Irish
Polyglot) thinks that an early conversational approach is vital, so perhaps Moses'
course could be on to a good thing.

I do wonder about how natural the things you learn are, as when you look at the English
examples they don't sound very natural. They sound very formal and stiff and I wonder
if that might sound similar in the target language. Still, if you are enjoying it and
it works for you then fantastic.

Edit: Quote deleted, way too big!

Edited by jazzboy.bebop on 21 May 2011 at 2:49am

1 person has voted this message useful

NarcissusXXIII
United States
Joined 4759 days ago

3 posts - 17 votes
Studies: Italian, Mandarin, Latin, Persian

Message 34 of 72
21 May 2011 at 4:38am | IP Logged 
jazzboy.bebop wrote:
First of all, welcome to the forum!

Thank you. :)

jazzboy.bebop wrote:
I do wonder about how natural the things you learn are, as when you look at the English examples they don't sound very natural. They sound very formal and stiff and I wonder if that might sound similar in the target language. Still, if you are enjoying it and it works for you then fantastic.

Well so far in my experience talking with natives they can understand the answers I give, and I can usually recognize the question they are asking if it is similar to the ones I studied. Sometimes I have even been asked those questions in English, which is annoying, so I just keep trying to respond back in Chinese.But I have found the common questions and answers to be really useful in augmenting what I know from Pimsleur.

As for the money issue, I should point out that I bought the courses when they were only $230, and I was taking advantage of a weak US dollar too. :P Unfortunately I think that he had to raise the price because he has to pay his native speakers.

That being said, considering how much I have learned from all the videos Moses has posted to his Youtube channel, I have no problem at all giving him my money. He spends a lot of his time helping others, for nothing in return. In fact, I am much more outraged at having to pay $500+ for ninety Pimsleur lessons, even though I think that is also great program and a "staple" of any language learning.

And yes, I will definitely post my progress in Chinese on this forum in a few months time. =)

Edited by NarcissusXXIII on 21 May 2011 at 4:38am

3 persons have voted this message useful

translator2
United States
Joined 6718 days ago

848 posts - 1862 votes 

Message 35 of 72
23 May 2011 at 5:46pm | IP Logged 
I think that if you are going to sell a course for learning a specific language (as opposed to a book/course about techniques for how to learn multiple languages), for "street credibility" purposes, you should probably separate the hobby of language learning from the business of language learning and for business purposes, you should concentrate solely on marketing your strongest foreign language, earn a good reputation and then perhaps move on to marketing others at a later date.

Edited by translator2 on 23 May 2011 at 5:50pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

Splog
Diglot
Czech Republic
anthonylauder.c
Joined 5468 days ago

1062 posts - 3263 votes 
Speaks: English*, Czech
Studies: Mandarin

Message 36 of 72
23 May 2011 at 7:44pm | IP Logged 
I would be very interested in buying his Chinese course - since I know this is his
strongest language. It is also a language I wish to improve on. Finally, I am simply
curious to find out if it works.

The only problem is that it is much too expensive for me.

Now that the course is for download, I hope the price will fall, since there are no
longer the DVD production and shipping costs.

Perhaps, also, he does not have to pay his wife, the way he must compensate the other
native speakers on the other courses.

Anyway, if the price were much lower it would be much less of a gamble for me to buy
the course. As it is, at current prices I would need a lot more evidence that they are
effective and worth the money before being tempted.

Cainntear
Pentaglot
Scotland
linguafrankly.blogsp
Joined 5810 days ago

4399 posts - 7687 votes 
Speaks: Lowland Scots, English*, French, Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Studies: Catalan, Italian, German, Irish, Welsh

Message 37 of 72
23 May 2011 at 10:28pm | IP Logged 
dbag wrote:
I had wrote that $400 seems very expensive. It does.
But looking at his site, I noticed that this buys you 7 hours of 1-on-1 consultation with Moses, over a period of six months.
I have contacted a Spanish tutor in my area before, and she was charging something like £35 an hour. When you look at it like that, perhaps its not such a bad deal?

Your local Spanish tutor has travel time to cover. A videoconference should theoretically be cheaper... and in fact the site says that these lessons are "a $210 value". (Equivalent to $30 hourly charge rate.)

So that means he's still charging $140 for what seems to be 7 lessons of 10-20 minutes on DVD -- that's just one or two DVD's worth. That's really quite expensive.

Personally, I can't see why he's marketing this as "DVD", because really that's a ludicrous price for so little material. Why not just sell his tuition and include the videos in the tuition bundle instead?

dbag
United Kingdom
Joined 4821 days ago

605 posts - 1046 votes 
Studies: Spanish

Message 38 of 72
25 May 2011 at 12:27am | IP Logged 
@ NarcissusXXIII
Thanks for the detailed feedback!
I wonder whether there is something to be said for looking up the original content yourself? From watching Moses's youtube videos I had got the impression that doing this was all part of the learning process?

Would you say the DVD's have a significant amount of content that cant be found on his youtube videos?

@ Caintear
I would be happy to pay $30 an hour to have a lesson with Moses. Given his profile, thats seems a very reasonable rate.

You are right though. $140 for such little content is massivly expensive. I dont understand why its not all on one DVD. You are absolutely right that it would make more sense to include these in with the tuition bundle.
However I agree with NarcissusXXIII in that I would be happy to give money to Moses, seing as I have gained such a lot from his videos(Of course, that doesnt mean that others should do the same).

Edited by dbag on 25 May 2011 at 12:28am

NarcissusXXIII
United States
Joined 4759 days ago

3 posts - 17 votes
Studies: Italian, Mandarin, Latin, Persian

Message 39 of 72
26 May 2011 at 12:41am | IP Logged 
dbag wrote:

Would you say the DVD's have a significant amount of content that cant be found on his youtube videos?

Yes, the actual video part does have a lot of the advice that can be found on his youtube videos, except it is condensed with a lot less rambling and is language-specific. I really watched through the videos only once or twice so I could take notes, what I found much more useful were the pages of original content and accompanying audio.

I also recently found out about a free sound editor called "Audacity" which I used to break the audio section into more manageable 'tracks' of five sentences and remove the parts when the native speaker reads English. Also very useful for removing the English from the Teach Yourself dialogues.

tmp011007
Diglot
Congo
Joined 5868 days ago

199 posts - 346 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, English
Studies: French, Portuguese

Message 40 of 72
05 November 2011 at 8:36am | IP Logged 
NarcissusXXIII wrote:

And yes, I will definitely post my progress in Chinese on this forum in a few months time. =)

it would be nice to know what do you think now about the course/guide (assuming you keep using it)

This discussion contains 72 messages over 9 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 46 7 8 9  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version