United Kingdom
Joined 4820 days ago

605 posts - 1046 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 25 of 72
20 May 2011 at 8:01pm | IP Logged 
@ Sluicido

Phrasebook method? I dont really understand. Are you trying to say that this is all the FLR technique amounts to?
1 person has voted this message useful

slucido
Bilingual Diglot
Spain
https://goo.gl/126Yv
Joined 6473 days ago

1296 posts - 1781 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Spanish*, Catalan*
Studies: English

Message 26 of 72
20 May 2011 at 9:51pm | IP Logged 
dbag wrote:
@ Sluicido

Phrasebook method? I dont really understand. Are you trying to say that this is all the FLR technique amounts to?

I am saying that this is what it seems YOU are looking for. Nothing wrong with that. In fact, I think it is a good approach.

2 persons have voted this message useful

Cainntear
Pentaglot
Scotland
linguafrankly.blogsp
Joined 5809 days ago

4399 posts - 7687 votes 
Speaks: Lowland Scots, English*, French, Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Studies: Catalan, Italian, German, Irish, Welsh

Message 27 of 72
20 May 2011 at 11:48pm | IP Logged 
dbag wrote:

There's nothing wrong with only wanting to learn the basics.

You could pay hundreds of dollars for it or you could download a $5 phrasebook for your Android mobile phone.

No Android mobile phone? No problem -- after all, you've just saved yourself $350 by not buying the DVDs....
3 persons have voted this message useful

dbag
United Kingdom
Joined 4820 days ago

605 posts - 1046 votes 

Message 28 of 72
21 May 2011 at 12:04am | IP Logged 
@Leosmith
Sorry, I don't think that link to another thread I provided works properly. However, a search on this site for “FLR technique (lessons in polyglottery) “ will bring up a thread written by Moses in which he outlines his technique.

It is probably better for people to read that thread themselves, than to have me try and summarise the method, as I am conscious there’s a risk I may not do it justice.

@ Slucido

I see what you mean. I am not sure that it is what I'm looking for. At least not quite.
Anyway, my interpretation of these courses is not that they are the equivalent of buying a phrase book, but rather being shown how to utilises that book to its maximum potential.
From what I have gathered, say for example you wanted to learn both Thai and Chinese. You wouldn’t need to buy both courses, as after using one of them, you will be equipped with the necessary tools to learn others.

I may be mistaken.

Edited by dbag on 21 May 2011 at 12:10am

dbag
United Kingdom
Joined 4820 days ago

605 posts - 1046 votes 

Message 29 of 72
21 May 2011 at 12:21am | IP Logged 
I had wrote that $400 seems very expensive. It does.
But looking at his site, I noticed that this buys you 7 hours of 1-on-1 consultation with Moses, over a period of six months.
I have contacted a Spanish tutor in my area before, and she was charging something like £35 an hour. When you look at it like that, perhaps its not such a bad deal?

(Incidentally, I am happy with my own methods for learning Spanish. But Im thinking perhaps in a year or so's time, I may decide to sign up to one of Moses courses for a complicated language like Japanese, and write about my experiences on this forum.

Also, I see that the audio that comes with the course is all recorded by native speakers, and all the material has been proof read as well.

3 persons have voted this message useful

slucido
Bilingual Diglot
Spain
https://goo.gl/126Yv
Joined 6473 days ago

1296 posts - 1781 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Spanish*, Catalan*
Studies: English

Message 30 of 72
21 May 2011 at 12:28am | IP Logged 
dbag wrote:
I had wrote that $400 seems very expensive. It does.
But looking at his site, I noticed that this buys you 7 hours of 1-on-1 consultation with Moses, over a period of six months.
I have contacted a Spanish tutor in my area before, and she was charging something like £35 an hour. When you look at it like that, perhaps its not such a bad deal?

(Incidentally, I am happy with my own methods for learning Spanish. But Im thinking perhaps in a year or so's time, I may decide to sign up to one of Moses courses for a complicated language like Japanese, and write about my experiences on this forum.

Also, I see that the audio that comes with the course is all recorded by native speakers, and all the material has been proof read as well.

Why don't you buy it right now? You don't need anyone authorization. In a few months you can tell us if it is worth it. Sometimes passion is the most important factor. Maybe Moses can be a catalyst that make things go faster for students. Good teachers are good catalysts.

Edited by slucido on 21 May 2011 at 12:29am

2 persons have voted this message useful

dbag
United Kingdom
Joined 4820 days ago

605 posts - 1046 votes 

Message 31 of 72
21 May 2011 at 12:36am | IP Logged 
Because I am stuck into my Spanish at the moment, and I love the methods Im using. In a way, Im doing my own little experiment with Assimil and FSI.
Other than a little help with pronunciation, I want to do this on my owm, and Im obsessed with it.

I wouldnt want to study two languages at the same time.
Fair point though. Moses does strike me as a cataylst. He has certainly inspired a lot of people to become intersted in foreign languages. Not only that, I think he acts to demstify them as well.

Edited by dbag on 21 May 2011 at 12:38am

NarcissusXXIII
United States
Joined 4758 days ago

3 posts - 17 votes
Studies: Italian, Mandarin, Latin, Persian

Message 32 of 72
21 May 2011 at 1:55am | IP Logged 
Hi

This is my first post on this forum but I have been a long time lurker. It is a very nice community you have on this forum.

In reading this thread I noticed that most of the people posting about the Moses' program have not yet tried it. I purchased the FLR Chinese program shortly after it was released and have been using it in conjunction with other resources for the past few weeks. So to help others in making their decision on whether or not to buy this program I will lay down the pros and cons as I see them:

PROS:
-    The lists of common questions and answers and accompanying audio I have found very useful when talking to native speakers. As I am only a beginner I am able to keep a conversation going on a little longer in Chinese and 'trick' a few native speakers into thinking my Chinese was much better than it is for a little while. The point of the common questions and answers is to help you learn what you need to know to converse right away, and I have found many of these are very useful when dealing with native speakers as a beginner. A lot of these questions included are asked of me when I speak with a native. As a beginner, I personally don't think I would have been able to make these sentences to study without spending hours with a dictionary, so it is nice to have them already translated for me. It is like an extremely useful phrasebook.

-    The traditional and simplified characters are included for every bit of text, as well as the pinyin. This saves a tremendous amount of time looking things up in the dictionary. I am only learning simplified at the moment but if you want to learn both, they are there.

-    There is a long list of common 'linking words' to help make sentences. Useful to have them in one place, and again saves the time looking them up in an online dictionary.

-    There is also a video segment in which Moses gives his advice on how to go about beginning the language. He talks about what resources to buy, and exactly what needs to be done. Nothing really revolutionary here, but he does give specific advice and evaluates resources for the target language.

-   The audio is spoken by a native speaker (in this case his wife). It is not slowed down like TYS or Pimsleur.

CONS:
-     I live outside the United States so it took a very long time for the DVDs to reach me. I think Moses has corrected this now by changing everything over to digital download.

-    I think Moses has said this in some of his videos, but this is a 'strategy guide' and not a self-contained course. The original content is not enough to get along in the language, you do have to buy supplementary materials as well. Teach Yourself is a must, while Pimsleur and a dictionary are highly recommended. So keep this in mind, you will have to pay circa $30 for the TY and several hundred for the Pimsleur (I couldn't find any good-quality torrents for Pimsleur Chinese). Personally I also use Assimil and a Phrasebook with audio as well, but these are not required.

-    Moses recommends you study five common questions and answers a week, but the accompanying audio is not broken into 'tracks' of five questions and answers. This causes some annoyance and wasted time since I am constantly reversing from 5:37 to 2:16 on my iPod, for example, to listen to the questions over and over. This makes shadowing the original content difficult.

My Verdict:

For me, FLR was worth the money for two reasons. Moses' advice in the video was useful in getting started, and I have been using his method to learn for the past few weeks. The method is very slow, but I feel I am progressing at a decent rate. But much more important is the original content, and by that I mean the common questions and answers and the linking words. These I found very useful as a beginner for reasons I already explained.

I would probably also get the FLR original content for Persian when I revisit my studies in that language, because I feel it is very useful for beginners in an exotic language with a foreign script. I would recommend FLR to beginners especially, but as I am not an advanced language learner I don't feel qualified to recommend this to more advanced learners who might already have methods in place that work for them.

So I hope this gives some more information about the pros and cons of FLR, if anyone has any questions feel free to ask, but out of respect I cannot give away any of Moses' techniques that he shared on the DVDs.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that if you want to get the most out of this course, you will take detailed notes while watching the videos. In fact, I do this when watching many videos of Youtube polyglots. Very good for retaining useful information. :)

Edited by NarcissusXXIII on 21 May 2011 at 2:14am

12 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 72 messages over 9 pages: << Prev 1 2 35 6 7 8 9  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version