Congo
Joined 5867 days ago

199 posts - 346 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, English
Studies: French, Portuguese

Message 49 of 72
13 January 2012 at 6:06pm | IP Logged 
Cainntear wrote:

There's a list of things you'll need to buy for each course, and for Chinese at least, I believe that includes Pimsleur (as well as grammar books, dictionaries and for Asian languages Remember the <Insert name of script here>), which is a significant wodge of money to start off with.

The videos are only 10-20 minutes each, so there's not a lot of actual content included.

actually those are suggestions not real needs (but I guess the Teach Yourself course could be a prerequisite)

edit:
FLR Chinese DVDs
FLR Chinese DVD Trailer
How to use the FLR course

Quote:

they look really good, I guess all the other ones you will release will be based on teach yourself books?
theprophe 9 months ago

@theprophe All of these will be based on Teach Yourself at least for now.
laoshu505000 9 months ago

Quote:

You got some serious mistakes in the first 2 min. of the video. Look at the first two questions in pinyin. It's shei2 jiao1....At least you got the characters right ;)
knuddel123 3 weeks ago

@knuddel123 Thanks for acknowledging that. All of that has been corrected/edited by native speakers before the product released.
laoshu505000 3 weeks ago

Edited by tmp011007 on 13 January 2012 at 9:10pm

1 person has voted this message useful

JimC
United Kingdom
tinyurl.com/aberdeen
Joined 5345 days ago

199 posts - 317 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 50 of 72
13 January 2012 at 8:28pm | IP Logged 
Cainntear wrote:
JimC wrote:
Cainntear wrote:
That's a much more reasonable
price, considering you've got to go and buy the content elsewhere.

Definitely seems like a worthwhile buy now considering the 1-1 sessions inclided. Not
clear what it means though about buying the content elswhere. What do Moses' disks
include and what else do I need to buy?

There's a list of things you'll need to buy for each course, and for Chinese at least,
I believe that includes Pimsleur (as well as grammar books, dictionaries and for Asian
languages Remember the <Insert name of script here>), which is a significant
wodge of money to start off with.

The videos are only 10-20 minutes each, so there's not a lot of actual content
included.

Is this mentioned anywhere on the site? I certainly haven't seen it. It's Spanish that
I'm looking at, if you have a link.

Thanks

Jim

liddytime
Pentaglot
United States
mainlymagyar.wordpre
Joined 6027 days ago

693 posts - 1328 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Italian, Portuguese, Galician
Studies: Hungarian, Vietnamese, Modern Hebrew, Norwegian, Persian, Arabic (Written)

Message 51 of 72
14 January 2012 at 5:15am | IP Logged 
So I went ahead and bought the Mandarin bundle...

There's really not much in there for the $80!

Roughly 20 minutes of videos of Moses talking/explaining the FLR method (everything you could get free from his
you-tube videos!) There are a couple of 15 page pdf files with sample sentences and key words. Finally there are a
handful of short mp3's with a native speaker. Thus, I'm not real impressed with the content of the package. That
being said, I am really looking forward to my sessions with Moses. I think they will justify the $80 cost many-fold! I
will try out the FLR method just as Moses prescribes it, meet up online 2x a month for 6 months and check back in
with my progress.

Wish me luck!
8 persons have voted this message useful

slucido
Bilingual Diglot
Spain
https://goo.gl/126Yv
Joined 6473 days ago

1296 posts - 1781 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Spanish*, Catalan*
Studies: English

Message 52 of 72
14 January 2012 at 12:41pm | IP Logged 
liddytime wrote:

Roughly 20 minutes of videos of Moses talking/explaining the FLR method (everything you could get free from his
you-tube videos!) There are a couple of 15 page pdf files with sample sentences and key words. Finally there are a
handful of short mp3's with a native speaker. Thus, I'm not real impressed with the content of the package. That
being said, I am really looking forward to my sessions with Moses. I think they will justify the $80 cost many-fold! I
will try out the FLR method just as Moses prescribes it, meet up online 2x a month for 6 months and check back in
with my progress.

Wish me luck!

Let us know about your experience. Maybe I can use this to learn English.

tmp011007
Diglot
Congo
Joined 5867 days ago

199 posts - 346 votes 

Message 53 of 72
14 January 2012 at 12:49pm | IP Logged 
liddytime wrote:

Roughly 20 minutes of videos of Moses talking/explaining the FLR method (everything you could get free from his you-tube videos!) There are a couple of 15 page pdf files with sample sentences and key words. Finally there are a handful of short mp3's with a native speaker. Thus, I'm not real impressed with the content of the package. That
being said, I am really looking forward to my sessions with Moses. I think they will justify the $80 cost many-fold! I will try out the FLR method just as Moses prescribes it, meet up online 2x a month for 6 months and check back in with my progress.

Wish me luck!

good luck, and thank you.. I'd love to see your review after a couple of months

joesoefkalla
Indonesia
Joined 4510 days ago

22 posts - 22 votes
Studies: English

Message 54 of 72
14 January 2012 at 4:01pm | IP Logged 
I think this product is

liddytime
Pentaglot
United States
mainlymagyar.wordpre
Joined 6027 days ago

693 posts - 1328 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Italian, Portuguese, Galician
Studies: Hungarian, Vietnamese, Modern Hebrew, Norwegian, Persian, Arabic (Written)

Message 55 of 72
15 January 2012 at 2:02am | IP Logged 
First impressions are that there is not a lot of handholding! He gives you the ideas but it is up to you, the
learner to follow through and make your own plan.

So far, all I have had time to do is put 15 "key words" into Anki & go though them once. Apparently now I
need to make 10 sentences using these words and practice speaking and writing them several times this
week. I gotta contact Moses at some point & find out if is is really what I am supposed to be doing...

tmp011007
Diglot
Congo
Joined 5867 days ago

199 posts - 346 votes 

Message 56 of 72
17 January 2012 at 11:48pm | IP Logged 
slucido wrote:
Maybe I can use this to learn English.

and "this" stands for?.. Moses' courses are pretty much for beginners and you, certainly, are not.. maybe his method in general, his main guidelines, his keywords..

*btw,take a look at the spreadsheet on googledocs made by user berta from lingq based on splog's conversational connectors* -with some extra help, in a couple of languages

liddytime wrote:
First impressions are that there is not a lot of handholding! He gives you the ideas but it is up to you, the learner to follow through and make your own plan.

bad thing for total beginners
liddytime wrote:

So far, all I have had time to do is put 15 "key words" into Anki & go though them once. Apparently now I need to make 10 sentences using these words and practice speaking and writing them several times this week. I gotta contact Moses at some point & find out if is is really what I am supposed to be doing...

apparently it's the same thing he says in his youtube channel for free.. btw, I've noticed you are not a beginner in mandarin either so I don't know if your review in the end would be fair enough as those courses are intended for beginners

anyway, thank you for keeping us posted

Edited by tmp011007 on 18 January 2012 at 4:27pm

This discussion contains 72 messages over 9 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 68 9  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version