Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

Who has the worst accent?

Tags: Accent | English
 Language Learning Forum : General discussion Post Reply
Poll Question: Which region produces the worst accents?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
5 [8.62%]
12 [20.69%]
34 [58.62%]
4 [6.90%]
3 [5.17%]
You can not vote in this poll

91 messages over 12 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 11 12 Next >>
Jinx
Triglot
Germany
reverbnation.co
Joined 5515 days ago

1085 posts - 1879 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, French
Studies: Catalan, Dutch, Esperanto, Croatian, Serbian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Italian, Spanish, Yiddish

Message 81 of 91
26 October 2011 at 2:29pm | IP Logged 
s_allard wrote:
Jinx wrote:

So, we're talking about the "most difficult to understand accents" in "non-native tongues". That's pretty wide-ranging. Since the target audience for this question is undefined, we can assume it's directed at the members of this forum (I doubt anyone will argue with me there...). So, the basic question is: which accents, when speaking non-native languages, are generally found the most difficult to understand by members of this forum (wherever we all may come from)?

Maybe it's just me, but it seems like a stretch to turn that question into such a big deal. We've all had trouble understanding foreign accents in the past; we all know that our comprehension of other accents is related to the language/s we're accustomed to hearing; several of us have made interesting observations that in our experience people with certain accents tend to pronounce one language better than another; and, not to be forgotten, we all understand the peril of a character limit in poll titles.

Saying that this poll is biased toward a native-English-speaker POV is the same as implying that the majority of this forum's members are native English speakers. Because, you know, the poll was posted here, addressing us. Now, maybe it's true that the forum has a rather large percentage of native English speakers – I wouldn't know – but if so, that's clearly not leosmith's fault, and attacking his poll won't help. Maybe affirmative action is needed in recruiting forum members if this is really such a problem?*

*In case it's not clear, that last part was a joke.

I well realize that this is not a matter of life and death. The reason I'm a bit adamant about the whole thing is that I believe the results are ultimately meaningless and misleading. Of course, there will be people who say: "OK, the wording is not the best; the OP didn't mean any harm. Let bygones be bygones. S_allard, get over this and move on. Now, where was I? Yes, the worst accent I've ever heard has to be that of the people from Shanghai. I've have never met one person from Shanghai who could speak intelligible English, let alone French. I vote for Asia producing the worst accents."

I'm not saying that we should not discuss accents and questions of intelligibility. I think a I have pretty good track record of calmly and sensibly discussing topics on the languages that I'm familiar with. But do we have to discuss these interesting issues in the framework of this kind of poll?

I take your point, s_allard, and I completely understand where you're coming from. I agree that clearly no one (or very few people, at least) who responds to this poll will have a view that is overarching and holistic enough for their response to carry any weight beyond that of personal experience. So, maybe we should just consider this poll a poll on personal experience, rather than on "truth" or "fact". We don't need to draw any particular conclusions from it, either. Maybe we could even use it to draw conclusions about western bias, which might be genuinely interesting. Or how cultural linguistic isolation influences one's ability to deal with "unintelligible" accents – that would be a fascinating topic as well.

ETA: Oh, I just thought of something – too late. If only we'd asked everyone who voted to post a reply saying what their vote had been and where they come from/currently live. That could have given us a really interesting picture.

Edited by Jinx on 26 October 2011 at 2:31pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Марк
Russian Federation
Joined 4878 days ago

2096 posts - 2972 votes 
Speaks: Russian*

Message 82 of 91
26 October 2011 at 2:48pm | IP Logged 
The question can formulated in another way. Who has the biggest trouble with English
pronunciation?
3 persons have voted this message useful

s_allard
Triglot
Canada
Joined 5252 days ago

2704 posts - 5425 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Spanish
Studies: Polish

Message 83 of 91
26 October 2011 at 5:37pm | IP Logged 
Марк wrote:
The question can formulated in another way. Who has the biggest trouble with English
pronunciation?

Not a bad suggestion. I would suggest "most" instead of "biggest." It's quite clear what we are talking about, i.e. speaking English, and there is no suggestion of good, bad or worst. Then we could scrap the country divisions and use language families instead. It goes to show how a little bit of thinking could avoid some unnecessary arguments.
3 persons have voted this message useful

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6731 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 84 of 91
26 October 2011 at 11:50pm | IP Logged 
Jinx wrote:
If only we'd asked everyone who voted to post a reply saying what their vote had been and where they come from/currently live. That could have given us a really interesting picture.

I haven't voted at all since "All of the above" isn't among the options. I'm usually not that impressed by any nationality I hear. (I'm from Sweden, I've lived in the same neighbourhood all my life, but have heard spoken English on a daily basis since I was about 9 years old - that's 29 years now.)

Марк wrote:
The question can formulated in another way. Who has the biggest trouble with English pronunciation?

While people from some regions seem to have more trouble, there are bad examples even in countries where English is "everywhere".

leosmith
United States
Joined 6372 days ago

2365 posts - 3804 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Tagalog

Message 85 of 91
30 October 2011 at 8:12am | IP Logged 
s_allard wrote:
It goes to show how a little bit of thinking could avoid some unnecessary arguments.

That would be very little thinking indeed, since it would change the topic.

clumsy
Octoglot
Poland
lang-8.com/6715Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5000 days ago

1116 posts - 1367 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English, Japanese, Korean, French, Mandarin, Italian, Vietnamese
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swedish
Studies: Danish, Dari, Kirundi

Message 86 of 91
30 October 2011 at 3:12pm | IP Logged 
I think Scandinavans and Dutch people would have the best English accent, as their languages have similar vowel system to English, I think.
It's often said that they speak good English.
but for Polish people, it's not so easy, too many vowels!
it's very hard for us to tell apart English vowels.

On the other hand, Poles would have easier to learn Chinese, as we have similar consonants.

Arabs - they have only 3 vowels, (long and short): a, i u.
even o is hard for them!
they would have hard time to learn English's 12 vowels.

Марк
Russian Federation
Joined 4878 days ago

2096 posts - 2972 votes 
Speaks: Russian*

Message 87 of 91
30 October 2011 at 4:42pm | IP Logged 
Consonants are difficult too, because they are all different from Slavic. Germanic
peoples have an advantage in consonants too. Chinese pronunciation is extremly difficult
for Slavs because of both consonants and vowels.

s_allard
Triglot
Canada
Joined 5252 days ago

2704 posts - 5425 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Spanish
Studies: Polish

Message 88 of 91
30 October 2011 at 5:52pm | IP Logged 
I think we are mixing up two separate things. One is the difficulty to acquire a language because of differences in phonological systems. The assumption here is that the more the languages are different, the harder it is to go from one to the other. That seems pretty logical. although I'm sure there are nuances. The other issue is the end result in terms of intelligibility or aesthetic preference of a certain accent in the target language, let's say English. Considering that nearly all adult learners of a language will retain traces of their native language, which accent do we find either most pleasant or most intelligible? This has nothing to do with how difficult it was to get to this endpoint.

When we are judging aesthetics, it is of course totally subjective. But I bring this up because I believe that at high levels of proficiency in the target language, native speakers can often prefer the speech of a foreigner to that of a regional variety of the native language. In other words, a slight foreign accent combined with good grammar and vocabulary may be more pleasing than some low-status native language variety.

This discussion contains 91 messages over 12 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version