Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

Who has the worst accent?

Tags: Accent | English
 Language Learning Forum : General discussion Post Reply
Poll Question: Which region produces the worst accents?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
5 [8.62%]
12 [20.69%]
34 [58.62%]
4 [6.90%]
3 [5.17%]
You can not vote in this poll

91 messages over 12 pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 7 ... 11 12 Next >>
Spanky
Canada
Joined 5778 days ago

1021 posts - 1714 votes 
Studies: French

Message 49 of 91
22 October 2011 at 2:15am | IP Logged 
I like the original issue, and frankly am surprised by the severity of the criticism in the thread.

We not infrequently discuss on this forum accents in different parts of England, Scotland, America, Canada and elsewhere without all hell breaking loose, and we very often are invited to provide our subjective opinions about a wide variety of matters. In response to the comment that lumping continents or hemispheres into single groups is misplaced, the second half of the original post bears a quick second read (the part which attempts to draw discussion about individual countries, states, provinces, cities).   I strongly doubt that anyone would say that talking about a Boston accent v. a Texan accent is something only a prejudiced person would entertain.   

Anyways, the answer to the original question is: Newfies.   I say this with complete affection and respect for my eastern brothers (love the lobster, fellows, and fingers crossed re: the cod).

Edited by Spanky on 22 October 2011 at 2:20am

2 persons have voted this message useful

kanewai
Triglot
United States
justpaste.it/kanewai
Joined 4711 days ago

1386 posts - 3054 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Marshallese
Studies: Italian, Spanish

Message 50 of 91
22 October 2011 at 8:51am | IP Logged 
I found these charts regarding
Phonemic Inventory (great
term, by the way; it was new to me, but it's very useful, so thanks!). And my theory
that Bedouin learn English so well because Arabic has all the sounds in English, but not
vice versa, is wrong.

Back to the drawing board.
1 person has voted this message useful

Марк
Russian Federation
Joined 4878 days ago

2096 posts - 2972 votes 
Speaks: Russian*

Message 51 of 91
22 October 2011 at 10:37am | IP Logged 
Jinx wrote:
Марк wrote:
The amount of vowels or consonants does not directly
correspond with the ability to
pronounce foreign words, because the sounds and its combinations are different. For
example, Russians have lots of trouble with English consonants although Russian is very
rich in consonants. Diphtongs don't influence the difficulty of pronunciation. Spanish
diphtongs and triphtongs don't cause any problems to Russians.

I don't like to quote myself, but I think you may have missed this line from the
article I quoted, so I'll repeat it here:

Wikipedia wrote:
(There are 21 consonant and five vowel letters in the English
alphabet, but this does not correspond to the number of consonant and vowel sounds.)

Why do you think so? Don't you agree with me? Why?

leosmith
United States
Joined 6372 days ago

2365 posts - 3804 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Tagalog

Message 52 of 91
22 October 2011 at 1:14pm | IP Logged 
Today I heard a native Mandarin speaker speak French. Her accent was pretty good. And Thai's are pretty good at
French to, from what I remember. But I have never heard a Japanese person speak intelligible French, and I've heard
many. Well, one exception. I met a bilingual speaker on skype once. But she had learned from birth, so it was a
different situation.

Jinx
Triglot
Germany
reverbnation.co
Joined 5515 days ago

1085 posts - 1879 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, French
Studies: Catalan, Dutch, Esperanto, Croatian, Serbian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Italian, Spanish, Yiddish

Message 53 of 91
22 October 2011 at 3:52pm | IP Logged 
Марк wrote:
Jinx wrote:
Марк wrote:
The amount of vowels or consonants does not directly
correspond with the ability to
pronounce foreign words, because the sounds and its combinations are different. For
example, Russians have lots of trouble with English consonants although Russian is very
rich in consonants. Diphtongs don't influence the difficulty of pronunciation. Spanish
diphtongs and triphtongs don't cause any problems to Russians.

I don't like to quote myself, but I think you may have missed this line from the
article I quoted, so I'll repeat it here:

Wikipedia wrote:
(There are 21 consonant and five vowel letters in the English
alphabet, but this does not correspond to the number of consonant and vowel sounds.)

Why do you think so? Don't you agree with me? Why?

I was pointing out that vowels (of which there are five/six in English) and vowel sounds (of which English has many more, cf. the Wikipedia article I linked to) are two entirely different things. Just wanted to make sure that was clear.

Марк
Russian Federation
Joined 4878 days ago

2096 posts - 2972 votes 

Message 54 of 91
23 October 2011 at 9:05am | IP Logged 
I have always called vowel sounds vowels and consonant sounds - consonants.

Jinx
Triglot
Germany
reverbnation.co
Joined 5515 days ago

1085 posts - 1879 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, French
Studies: Catalan, Dutch, Esperanto, Croatian, Serbian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Italian, Spanish, Yiddish

Message 55 of 91
23 October 2011 at 12:21pm | IP Logged 
Марк wrote:
I have always called vowel sounds vowels and consonant sounds - consonants.

That's no problem for me. Go argue with Wikipedia if you don't like what they wrote. :)

ETA: But if you want to understand the difference, think, for example, of the sound /u/. In German it's represented by the vowel "u". No problems there. In English it's often represented by the letters "oo". Would you call "oo" "a vowel"? In French, the same sound is represented by the letters "ou"? Again, would you call that "a vowel"?

In English, "oo" is certainly not a vowel. It's two instances of the vowel "o", put together to make a completely different sound (/u/). In French, I would expect that they don't consider "ou" a vowel either.

Do you start to see the difference between "vowels" and "vowel sounds" now?

Edited by Jinx on 23 October 2011 at 12:26pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

Марк
Russian Federation
Joined 4878 days ago

2096 posts - 2972 votes 

Message 56 of 91
23 October 2011 at 1:13pm | IP Logged 
Jinx wrote:
Марк wrote:
I have always called vowel sounds vowels and consonant
sounds - consonants.

That's no problem for me. Go argue with Wikipedia if you don't like what they wrote. :)

ETA: But if you want to understand the difference, think, for example, of the sound
/u/. In German it's represented by the vowel "u". No problems there. In English it's
often represented by the letters "oo". Would you call "oo" "a vowel"? In French, the
same sound is represented by the letters "ou"? Again, would you call that "a vowel"?

In English, "oo" is certainly not a vowel. It's two instances of the vowel "o", put
together to make a completely different sound (/u/). In French, I would expect that
they don't consider "ou" a vowel either.

Do you start to see the difference between "vowels" and "vowel sounds" now?

I see that you call some kind of letters vowels. But I've always thought that words
"vowels" and "consonants" refer only to sounds, while letters can't be vowel or
consonant. So, to me OO in food is one vowel, oo in good is another vowel and oo in
blood is another vowel too. Because how can we say whether "h" in French and Spanish is
a vowel or a consonant? Or я, ь - in Russian?

This discussion contains 91 messages over 12 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 68 9 10 11 12  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version