Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

Who has the worst accent?

Tags: Accent | English
 Language Learning Forum : General discussion Post Reply
Poll Question: Which region produces the worst accents?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
5 [8.62%]
12 [20.69%]
34 [58.62%]
4 [6.90%]
3 [5.17%]
You can not vote in this poll

91 messages over 12 pages: 1 2 3 46 7 ... 5 ... 11 12 Next >>
Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5157 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 33 of 91
19 October 2011 at 5:59pm | IP Logged 
s_allard wrote:
Solfrid Cristin wrote:
I feel pretty certain that leosmith is capable of defending himself, but I can't let this one pass.

I have a lot of respect for both s_allard and iguanamon, both because of their knowledge and their moral standards, and I am convinced that they have the very best of intentions. However I always get extremely concerned when accusations of rascism and discrimination are being set forward at the merest hint of a possible case of, and if someone misinterprets..... You get my drift.

Guys. There are a lot of very sensible people on this forum. They can generally be trusted. Let us trust them, and answer the question which is asked related to languages. And if the question is uninterresting, there are so many other posts to be answered.

If we cannot keep peace among ourselves on this forum, withouth calling the cops, I have very little faith in the possibility of there ever being peace on earth.

And I would like to be able to hang on to the thought that I will at some point in my life experience peace on earth.

I won't speak for iguanamon, but I have to answer Solfrid Cristin whom I have come to respect and enjoy reading over the years. I am not making accusations of racism and discrimination. Quite the contrary, what I have always said is that the design of this poll is flawed and lends itself to accusations of bias or prejudice. If the title had been "Who seems least intelligible?", I probably would not have said a thing (although I'd have to think a bit). And I believe we can have interesting discussions about the difficulties of understanding different accents without being sidetracked by controversies about what is good and bad. So, if we want peace and mutual respect, let's choose our words carefully.

Then I think I must repeat my wish that we must be allowed to have longer titles, because I see that many times the discussions come as a result of a strange title due to space constraints. Any admins out there who could help?
1 person has voted this message useful

iguanamon
Pentaglot
Virgin Islands
Speaks: Ladino
Joined 5085 days ago

2237 posts - 6731 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese, Haitian Creole, Creole (French)

Message 34 of 91
19 October 2011 at 6:29pm | IP Logged 
@Solfrid Cristin, I have the utmost respect for you and your valuable contributions to this forum. I, too, enjoy reading your posts. @jinx is correct, this poll is unfortunately worded, I've said so, others have said so. So, enough said. I know @leosmith did not intend for it to come across as it does. I am not accusing anyone of racism, just trying to illustrate a point that these kinds of "broad-brush" value judgements can lead to a "slippery slope". These kind of things are unnecessary distractions from discussion of and about language learning.

3 persons have voted this message useful

Deerhound
Triglot
England
Joined 4728 days ago

30 posts - 46 votes
Speaks: English*, German, Toki Pona
Studies: French, Mandarin, Esperanto, Greek, Latin, Welsh

Message 35 of 91
20 October 2011 at 1:38pm | IP Logged 
I keep seeing the term 'value judgement'. What do you mean by 'value judgement' - is
that doublespeak for 'opinion'?

For example, I don't dislike all American accents, but in my opinion some sound
bad and some sound pleasant. (And it's nothing to do with any social perceptions because
I don't know what social connotations individual American accents have.) What is wrong
with stating such an opinion?

iguanamon
Pentaglot
Virgin Islands
Speaks: Ladino
Joined 5085 days ago

2237 posts - 6731 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese, Haitian Creole, Creole (French)

Message 36 of 91
20 October 2011 at 2:56pm | IP Logged 
@Deerhound This is the last I am going to say on this subject. I grew up being told by outsiders who came into the town I in which I grew up that my native American English accent was "bad" and that I needed to change it. I grew up in the American Upper South with a Southern Appalachian accent. This accent is the accent of my family and those of the region as well. I am proud of who I am and my culture. My native accent is part of who I am and represents where I come from. Eventually, I learned to code switch- to speak a more standard form of English around those not from my culture. I still do it today, everyday, here in the Caribbean. With those who are my friends, I will be more natural and use more of my native accent and constructions. I can truly be myself amongst people from my own culture and my family.

My accent isn't "bad" it is merely different. I have seen this everywhere I have lived and I have even lived for a number of years in England where I was exposed to accents from Yorkshire, Northumberland, Cheshire, Cumbria, Manchester and Liverpool. I found common ground with my northern English brethren. They too have judgements placed upon them because of the way they speak their native language in their own country. Here on the island, I hear accents from every island in the Caribbean and all over North America as well.   

I would never describe any native accent that I've heard in the UK (or anywhere) as "bad", I would describe them as "different". The words "good" and "bad", as regards accents, are subjective. What a sad world this would be if everyone sounded the same. Accents are like musical instruments playing in an orchestra. No one would expect a cello to sound the same as a violin or a trombone to sound the same as an oboe. They are all musical instruments, each with their own unique sound and together they form an orchestra. Do you want everyone to speak RP?

@Deerhound, you are certainly entitled to your opinion. I am very glad that you didn't specify which American accents you find "bad". If someone were to describe my accent to me as "bad" I might tell that person in plain Southern Appalachian American accented English where he/she could stick their opinion, and I wouldn't want to do that. Would you go to Liverpool and tell people in a pub or on the street that you think their accent is bad? I wouldn't recommend it. Well, telling Americans that you find some of their accents are bad might elicit a rather strong response on this forum. There are many Americans here who might hold a different opinion. I can accept that you may dislike my accent but not that it is "bad" even if that is your opinion. That's why this thread upsets me because having people talk about "bad" accents is fighting words. Everyone has an opinion and everyone is entitled to their opinion. When we decide to express our opinion and judge, we must be prepared to accept the acrimony that may ensue when others hold very different opinions. Acrimony has no place on this wonderful and useful forum.

In this forum we are here to discuss aspects of language learning. We don't talk about politics, religion and race because those subjects are contentious and controversial and distract from the forum's purpose. Talking about "bad" accents in native languages, and as a generalization of people from foreign cultures speaking English- for example, say Asians speaking English- crosses the line in my opinion.

I have no problem with someone saying that they find an accent unintelligible or difficult to comprehend, but when they say that a person who represents a whole culture of people has a "bad" native accent just because it's different, I have a problem with that. "Bad" accents in second languages among language learners- well, we all know our own levels and we all would love to have any accent that could pass for native. We all struggle as adult second language learners with interference from our native tongues everyday as we try to move our second language accent closer to the native goal.

I have said my piece and will no longer participate in this thread. Finis.   

Edited by iguanamon on 20 October 2011 at 4:01pm

4 persons have voted this message useful

Remster
Diglot
Netherlands
Joined 4628 days ago

120 posts - 134 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English
Studies: German, French

Message 37 of 91
20 October 2011 at 3:45pm | IP Logged 
I too think the word ''worst'' has been poorly chosen, but it can happen to everyone.
I voted for Asia, not so much because I think their accents are horrible, but they have the most trouble pronouncing English, atleast in my opinion.

leosmith
United States
Joined 6373 days ago

2365 posts - 3804 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Tagalog

Message 38 of 91
20 October 2011 at 4:40pm | IP Logged 
iguanamon wrote:
I am not accusing anyone of racism

At least I didn't get called a nazi.

CareBear
Hexaglot
Belgium
Joined 4608 days ago

3 posts - 3 votes
Speaks: English, Dutch, Flemish*, French, Portuguese, German
Studies: Norwegian, Indonesian, Persian

Message 39 of 91
20 October 2011 at 9:02pm | IP Logged 
I think speakers of the mainland Southeast Asian languages (with the exception of
Burmese) have the strongest accents. Nothing that a good education can't sure though.
I've met Thai and Vietnamese professionals with excellent neutral accents.

kanewai
Triglot
United States
justpaste.it/kanewai
Joined 4712 days ago

1386 posts - 3054 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Marshallese
Studies: Italian, Spanish

Message 40 of 91
20 October 2011 at 10:25pm | IP Logged 
It's an interesting topic, just stated poorly.

Some groups do pick up English better than others. In Jordan I was amazed at the
number of Bedouin I met who spoke English with almost no accent, yet who had never
formally studied the language. And here at home I have numerous Chinese coworkers
who've lived here 20 years, even gotten graduate degrees, and are still barely
intelligible.

I think this is fascinating.

The best explanation I heard was that Arabic contains all the sounds, stresses, and
intonations we have in English, and then some. There's nothing "exotic" to learn going
from Arabic to English.

Chinese, on the other hand, does not use stress, rhythm, or intonation the same way
English does, and so there are a lot more hurdles to overcome going from Chinese to
English.

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 91 messages over 12 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 46 7 8 9 10 11 12  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version